Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Short link to shared documents

It would be nice to have short links to shared documents instead of long ugly links, so we don't need to use external shorteners for internal documents (we should't share links to outside of company).

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback. Short Link is a Host functionality and not specific app functionality. OneDrive Consumer and Box support it. SharePoint and OneDrive for business require using a free SP app or 3rd party tools. Hope this answer your feedback, if not, can you please provide more info?

Tamar [MSFT]

2. Notifications when file is updated

I would like to know when my OneDrive file that I have shared with someone is updated by that other person.

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  11 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Powerview feature on onedrive excel.

It would be nice to have power view read/refresh options when we store excel on One drive.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide an option to check-out a document that was opened using word/excel-online?

Provide an option to instantly check-out a document that is opened using word/excel-online? That way you can change almost seamlessly from read-only to update mode.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Chat

You should be able to chat with specific people in the group without including the whole team. Also needs a pop up feature for chats. We have to be working in the excel doc to see the chat. Not effective

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Share Means Share

Enable email attachment, to Share, in Excel Online. If it exists, it's not in Share.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Inform me when a shared workbook becomes available

If someone has a shared workbook checked out, I cannot edit it, so I get a message telling me this. It would be helpful if a notification was made when it became available. Even better would be to know who has it checked out so that I can contact them

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. allow author to reject changes by others

Allow the file author (originator / admin) to reject or unwind any change made by others to his/her Excel file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Kicking People out of Excel Online

I would like a way to be able to kick people out of Excel Online so that I can easily edit the workbook in regular Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. allow the online version of excel to save. right now we don't and we are supposed to believe that everything

allow the online version of excel to save.

right now we are forced to rely on microsoft and auto-save to sync correctly.

often it doesn't and work gets lost between the online version and the offline/local/shared drive version open in Excel.

if we were allowed to save/commit online. we could revert to the online version instead of leaving it in the hands of microsoft to get the update right.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. EXCEL Onlie for Directory need update to the latest.

Sent: Wednesday, 5 September, 2018 04:05 PM
    To: Tanvir Hussain <Tanvir_Hussain@Singaporeair.com.sg>; bg.cargo@edi.champ.aero; George Li <george_li@singaporeair.com.sg>; Ashil Shehab <Ashil_Shehab@Singaporeair.com.sg>; Abidur Rahman <Abidur_Rahman@Singaporeair.com.sg>; NIPUN DRONG <NIPUN_DRONG@Singaporeair.com.sg>
    Cc: Haresh Indru <haresh_indru@singaporeair.com.sg>; Alice Yeo <alice_yeo@singaporeair.com.sg>; Zishan Mahbub <Zishan_Mahbub@Singaporeair.com.sg>; RASHEDUL ISLAM <RASHEDUL_ISLAM@Singaporeair.com.sg>; Shahriyar Uddin <Shahriyar_Uddin@Singaporeair.com.sg>
    Subject: Re: AWB 618-62397985 SIN-DAC

Dear Shehab/Abid,
    Please look into the matter and do the needful.
    Hi George,
    Please note that Ishtiak/Imtiaz/Nasim Uddin had left the company. Therefore, please replace them with Nipun/Rashedul/Zishan/Abidur/Ashil and Shahriyar. All…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Get a message as soon as a documented is not locked anymore

If another user has locked a document for editing I'd like to get a message as soon as the document is unlocked again. I would then be able to grab the document myself and do my own edits.
    Currently I need to monitor the locking status continuously which distracts me permanently from my other work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PLEASE ADD!!!!!!!!!! notifications when someone updates the file in cloud office... this is an old and well used feature of google doc

PLEASE ADD!!!!!!!!!! notifications when someone updates the file in cloud office... this is an old and well used feature of google doc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Pls Completely Prevent Downloads Of Embedded Excel Workbooks and Fix "Disable Download" Bug

Currently, Excel users can disable downloading of an embedded Excel workbook by unchecking "Include a download link" in the embedding options in Excel Online.

However, this does not prevent downloading of the Excel file. If using Javascript option for embedding, the download button and link to the workbook is removed from the bar at the bottom, giving the user a false sense of security.

However, a malicious user (or simply an unauthorized user/site visitor) can view the page source where the workbook is embedded, and view the direct link for the workbook on OneDrive. If an unauthorized or malicious user…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Give the rights to one group to the selected cell and other group to enter in other range

Can we share the few cells to the one group and other cell to another group so while entering the data. Here my example is i m teacher and different teacher wants to enter the marks so they will select their group of students enter the marks for their subject . so they will have the rights to enter only on the cell where we have given the rights

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SharePoint Alert for In-Browser Editing

If you cannot do multiple people working in record at the same time like Google Docs, then at least have an alert to come up on a current editor to make them aware that another user would like to edit the document because we can't always download the file when needing to make edits. They might not realize they have locked out other users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Chat Minimize when in snapped window

Setup:
    Windows 10, Chrome browser.

When I have a window snapped to the left or right of the monitor the Chat option is available, but I am unable to minimize the chat window without first going full screen. When the chat window is open it covers the toolbar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base