Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I have an Excel file with links to local folders and when I sync that file to Onedrive I'd like the links to refernence the Onedrive folders

I have a local Excel file with links to local folders, all in my local OneDrive folder, all synced to the online OneDrive. I'd like the online version of the Excel file to link to the online folders. And I don't want to enable the "Use Office to Sync Office files that I open" in the OneDrive Settings Office tab.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need to be able to restrict users to only editing with Excel Online

Create a new share option that is "Edit in Excel Online". Limiting users to only editing online would prevent a lot of locked out issues when collaborating with a large number of people.

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. you should have an option to inform those who have a file shared with them that an update was made to the shared file

when you make an edit to a file that is already shared with someone, you should have the option to click a notify button that would send an email to the parties who have access to that file and be made aware of changes to that file. same concept as the calendar system in outlook. when you update the calendar in outlook it allows you to send a notification that it something had been changed. this would be very handy for those who need to know when changes are made to a file, and not have to login and look…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. comment replies and status

Please allow comments to have comments as replies (nested conversation) and allow them to have a status that can be changed (RESOLVED, RE-OPEN, etc.) much as comments are handled in WORD in offline mode.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel and word online check out documents

If i view a document on a SharePoint site in Excel online and see a thing that I have to change things get a little cumbersome. The button "Edit" results in a message says that I have to check out tthe document, but no other option to close that box.
    I then have to go back to the library, check out the document, go to the document and open it once more.
    The dialogue box should have a question like; "Do you want to check out this document in order to edit it?" Answer options: Yes or No.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make closing chat in online excel an option

We need a button or something of the sort to close the chat box in excel online.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sharing restriction for Shared User

1. Restrict shared user from sharing to someone else. Only the owner can share with selected users. Users cannot share without owners consent.

2. Restrict Save as or download for Shared Users.

3. Notification for every modification done by Shared user for security purpose.

Please give a thought and make sharing Full Proof and Secured.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Messaging feature to allow me ask others to close online documents

If a document is locked because another user has it open, it would be nice to know who that user is so I can ask them to close it. A feature to allow me to do that online might be good as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Prevent "Edit in Excel" from locking a file located in OneDrive

It's frustrating to have users inadvertently open a file with desktop Excel, effectively disabling the collaboration features of Excel Online. This is difficult to avoid without Excel having the ability to collaborate or disable the locking.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add the ability to see who has viewed the shared document.

It would be nice to see who is viewing the document so that I know whether sharing the document is helpful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If I need to check out a document to edit it online, it would be helpful to have the option to check it out in the pop-up window

If I need to check out a document to edit it online, it would be helpful to have the option to check it out in the pop-up window

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add ability to send an automatic message to someone who has an excel file checked out letting them know I am waiting to use it.

Add ability to send an automatic message to someone who has an excel file checked out letting them know I am waiting to use it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. We should be able to work real time in the document with multiple users regardless if they are using the browser or client version....

Realtime collaboration in Excel is key and we cannot be allowed only to collaborate in the browser. Users should be able to choose between browser or client and edit simultaneously in the same way.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Show "last accessed" date/time of active user and other users

When we share a document, to share info, since it is all new to lots of people, there is never really a way to know when the shared users have actually accessed the document to know when someone may have last accessed or edited the document. If there was a date and time of last accessed/edited document; that could often be helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need to directly email the file instread of downloading and mailing.

Need to directly email the file instread of downloading and mailing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel Web Services should be able to display a linked spreadsheet to a SharePoint List

With the loss of KPIs and Charting Web Parts, the remaining option to display metric date in SharePoint is Excel Web Access Web parts. However, these do not work on a worksheet that is linked from a SharePoint list. It would be beneficial if this functionality could return (it was there in 2007).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 'open in excel online' link on ribbon when working in excel desktop

when working in online mode of word, excel or powerpoint, you can click a link saying open in excel / word / powerpoint on desktop. But when working in desktop mode there is not the option to say open in online

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option not to allow "view full size workbook" on embed code

Add option not to allow "view full size workbook" on embed code

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow a "open a copy" option in Sharepoint

As a teacher I would like students to be able to easily open online and edit spreadsheets without disrupting the original copy. They do not need to save their changes. Copying the file is cumbersome and checking out alters the original.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 6 8 10 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base