Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a notification when accessing a file for editing online to alert both the user and the person wanting to access the file

Create a notification when accessing a file for editing online to alert both the user and the person wanting to access the file so that the 2nd person trying to open the file already in use can tell a who has the file opened or locked. Also,, a notification will be sent to the current user (person who has the file opened or locked) that a specific user (identified in the alert) is trying to open / access the file that the 1st user is working in.

Alert idea sent to person trying to open a file that is already…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Record the User Name who has edited the Cell

When a workbook is shared with 10 people, and all are editing the sheet simultaneously, Owner of that workbook( who shared with all 10 people) wanted to know which cell edited by whom out of 10? Need the tracking feature for record purpose. Every cell should have the record feature who all are
    edited that cell and who has edited last along with all the changes.

Regards
    Deepak

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Send a copy" directly from Excel Online

Currently you can share a link directly from Excel Online, but you cannot send a copy directly. On the phone app you can do this from the File menu, so I find it a bit absurd that the browser version doesn't have this functionality. Even if it opened up a new tab for Outlook and copied over the attachment, that would be great [rather than embedding in the Excel applet (best) or the current search for it after opening a tab with Outlook (worst)].

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Notifications in Excel online

Google Sheets has a wonderful feature showing notifications as and when sheet is edited.
    Excel online lacks this feature or its available I'm not aware of !
    Please help.

Sat Arora

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. add option to download snapshot of the open sheet in excel online

Add option to download snapshot of the open sheet in excel online.
    This is very helpful options for people like me who uses big data / powerpivot in backend. The snapshot will only contain the data and formatting of the sheet (not any backend files & data).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

2,100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

495 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enhance the functions of [EDIT ONLINE]

when Edit excel in Sharepoint , two or more people can not use [EDIT IN EXCEL]at the same time ,but
    the function [EDIT ONLINE] cannot meet the needs of customers' very well.
    For example, changing the color of a word in a cell;
    online co-editing, all of the persons see the same data, can not filter out the data to deal with at the same time and so on.
    Please enhance the functions of [EDIT ONLINE] .

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make it so you can kick someone out of a locked document when they forget to log out editing online documents!

Or make it so that there items save after a period of inactivity so you can update the shared document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow a site owner to kick a user out of a file opened in Excel Online

If you have multiple people co-authoring in Excel Online, there are times when you need to open the file in Excel - typically for advanced formatting, etc. If someone has accidentally left the file open in their browser, there is no way to force them out and keeps the file locked. Although not always intentional, it can create a major headache by not being able to simply kick/close out that particular user from editing.

366 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can you create a program where multiple users can work in it; but be able to lock out cells they should not change?

Create a Visual block of the information needed by users; allow them to input information and edit their information only. Once done, lock the whole document and allow each block of information to download into the finished report or spreadsheet. Example:
    User: Name, Address, Phone, Email, amt of loan; etc.
    Report is updated with their inputted information, and the user has no control to edit the actual report or spreadsheet being downloaded into.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ability to share only part of the excel file with others

There should be option to share only few columns/rows/cell with other people while collaborating. It will protect my data (nobody can edit it) also other can see it & work/comment on it in the next shared column/row/cell.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide a favourite button when viewing / editing documents from one Drive / Sharepoint, so you can quickly add to your delve board.

When you accessing documents shared via One Drive / SharePoint, make it much faster to pin to your delve board by having a favourite button on all online versions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need to be able to restrict users to only editing with Excel Online

Create a new share option that is "Edit in Excel Online". Limiting users to only editing online would prevent a lot of locked out issues when collaborating with a large number of people.

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I have an Excel file with links to local folders and when I sync that file to Onedrive I'd like the links to refernence the Onedrive folders

I have a local Excel file with links to local folders, all in my local OneDrive folder, all synced to the online OneDrive. I'd like the online version of the Excel file to link to the online folders. And I don't want to enable the "Use Office to Sync Office files that I open" in the OneDrive Settings Office tab.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. you should have an option to inform those who have a file shared with them that an update was made to the shared file

when you make an edit to a file that is already shared with someone, you should have the option to click a notify button that would send an email to the parties who have access to that file and be made aware of changes to that file. same concept as the calendar system in outlook. when you update the calendar in outlook it allows you to send a notification that it something had been changed. this would be very handy for those who need to know when changes are made to a file, and not have to login and look…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. comment replies and status

Please allow comments to have comments as replies (nested conversation) and allow them to have a status that can be changed (RESOLVED, RE-OPEN, etc.) much as comments are handled in WORD in offline mode.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel and word online check out documents

If i view a document on a SharePoint site in Excel online and see a thing that I have to change things get a little cumbersome. The button "Edit" results in a message says that I have to check out tthe document, but no other option to close that box.
    I then have to go back to the library, check out the document, go to the document and open it once more.
    The dialogue box should have a question like; "Do you want to check out this document in order to edit it?" Answer options: Yes or No.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make closing chat in online excel an option

We need a button or something of the sort to close the chat box in excel online.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Sharing restriction for Shared User

1. Restrict shared user from sharing to someone else. Only the owner can share with selected users. Users cannot share without owners consent.

2. Restrict Save as or download for Shared Users.

3. Notification for every modification done by Shared user for security purpose.

Please give a thought and make sharing Full Proof and Secured.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base