Feedback by UserVoice

Excel Online

Welcome to the Excel Online feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open Excel instead of Excel in the browser

When clicking on an Excel link, Excel in the browser is opened. Then when it has started (which is slow for large spreadsheets) you have to click on the "Open in Excel" button and wait again. Can we please have a "Remember my choice" or something like that so that we can choose to always open an Excel file in Excel directly?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Project & Excel to make it more accesible for working documents

Too many times losing work because of lack of programming and too much security.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add checkboxes.

Add checkboxes as they help collaboration and check off done items when working on a group project.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make Mode for Instancing Spreadsheets Per User

This is just something I ran into recently, and I think would be really cool if it were implemented. I am working with a team where we are more or less developing applications in spreadsheets (simple stuff, working on just local data). We like the idea of hosting them online so users can jump on the web version of Excel and use the app. The issue with that is that everyone opens the same version of the spreadsheet, so only one person can really use it at a time. It would be awesome if there could be a mode or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Search for Smart Art within Excel

I would like to be able to use Excel Online, but keep getting a prompt that says my workbook contains Smart Art. I cannot find it within the document. Allowing the Find function to search for Smart Art would make this simple to identify and resolve.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. cell Comment allow @username to share content or assign task to a user

Please allow use of @username in comments in online Excel, such that someone can be directed to a given cell in case they need to be made aware of some information or a task can be assigned to that user. E.g. if someone needs to add some content, or confirm content, they would get an email to look in a particular cell or row to edit or confirm.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Renaming Microsoft files?

When you have to rename a Word or Excel file from explore by right clicking on the file, why would you have the "rename" option right below to the "delete" option"? I've accidentally deleted some many files that I just wanted to rename.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Linking documents in SharePoint

When linking documents in a group that I am a member and that is synced to my file explore the link address shows my username inside of the link and starts with (C: vs 'https://trueaerollc.sharepoint.com/...). It would be good to have it link to the actual documents that are saved in SharePoint so the link is universal and not governed in any way by me and my computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. word tab in excel

It would be great to have a word home tab in Excel as not one does the other well... why not combine a little (and vice versa)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make an option to chat on the sheet.

There should be an option to chat with other contributors on the sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Duplicating Pivot tables could be very interesting when we communicate with multiple colleagues

Duplicating Pivot tables could be very interesting when we communicate with multiple colleagues

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please give the owner of an excel file an option whether he allows the file being shared to be downloadable or not

Not all excel files are supposedly allowed to be downloaded by people whom the file is shared so please give the owner an option if he allows the excel file to be downloaded or not when shared and when it is embedded in a website. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I wish the owner of a file has the sole authority to share to anyone and not all members

I noticed that the person whom I shared an excel file with a restriction of 'view only' can share the file to anyone with a permission to 'Edit' the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Edit in Browser - Files connected to SharePoint Lists

Currently when there is an Excel file that is connected to SharePoint you can not edit it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make inserting a header a function that is available in the excel online version so that users do not have to use the desktop version for th

Please make insert a header a function that is available in excel online. I am specifically using the online version to be able to share with coworkers. We need to have a revision number on the top of the document when it prints. It is a huge inconvenience to have to switch over to the desktop version solely to add a header with the revision date.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. please authorize duplication of pivot tables

please authorize duplication of pivot tables

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base