Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please, create the option to protect sheets and to know who made changes.

So we can protect what the people who we share with can edit

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Offer instructions for fix

How about offering a fix, when you give the error message "that workbook is already checked out....etc", of telling us how to access it if we are the person who already has it checked out?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Interoperability problem with Excel 2016

I'm sharing a rather basic Excel 2016 file I've created with some other people so that they can enter data into it using Excel Online.

Very frequently, I'm facing the following issue: some cells containing (integer) numbers with the "General" formatting style have their formatting changed to "Accounting" resulting in "1" being displayed as "€ 1.00". If I fix this from the Excel 2016 side of the equation, it comes back some time later.

I'm unable to repro this by editing the file myself via Excel Online (I've tried using https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjBPRo9wXw9s2eZp7PUayA9Pg1rHaw), so it must be linked to some of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Advise when someone you're sharing with doesn't have OneDrive access

Office 365 apps provide the ability to Share with others (especially colleagues), however when doing so, you get no feedback as to whether they have access to the document, nor an option to provide access at the time of sharing. The result is that the recipients currently have to find they don't have access (after unsuccessfully following shared link), request access, and then wait for me to grant them access.
    It would be much improved if at the point of sharing, the software checked to see whether the recipients have access, and if not, provide option to grant access there…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please create option to receive notifications anytime a spreadsheet was edited. I see this currently for folders but not for individual spre

Please create option to receive notifications anytime a spreadsheet was edited. I see this currently for folders but not for individual spreadsheets (Google has this feature and it is tremendously helpful). Also a running revision history would be helpful to show all persons who edited the sheet, then when you click on that person's revision, it highlights where they made the revisions (also another feature that Google docs has).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. give us the option to tag or favorite a document someone has shared with me so I can find it later.

With Word I can copy documents to my own folders when others share them. Please let me do that with Excel too!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. When an employee leaves be able to move documents to managers Onedrive

When and employee leaves the company it would be great to be able to move the files to another employees ownership. Especially if they are a shared document with a department

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide user info who has the document checked out in the online version

I need to open the desktop version of the spreadsheet in order to view who the file is locked by. If this info was provided in the onlinver version, it would save this step.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Disable chat / Fix chat

My team needs to communicate while working (We're in different buildings) and we were happy to find Excel Online had a chat box. The problem is it's completely buggy. One moment you're writing in the chat box the next you're writing in a cell that had data on it. The problem seems to happen when someone starts editing a cell or when someone sends their chat before you're done typing. I couldn't find a way to disable it. (Maybe there is a way but it's not easy to find.) We've taken to using Skype for Business but it would be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "lock-out" feature

Good Morning –

I have an excel document that several people access online. When someone opens it locally, it locks everyone out, as you know. I experience this problem periodically; If I open it locally, but then save and close out, it continues to give me the error message when I try to re-open online, even though the local version has been closed. Since Excel Online has some limitations, it is necessary to open the local version at times, but it really jams us up by locking us out. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Emily

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. on Excel online documents, why the update by multiple users is not managed, Google can do that

when I try an access to an online Excel document, if this one is opened by a single user....no more RW access is possible. Google Sheets is allowing multiple users to work in the same document

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel online for multiple departments in business

In a business, an owner may want several departments to work on one shared excel online. But If owner wants different departments to see only few sheets and restrict them from seeing and editing master sheet then how it can be done. Ex- finance department can see and edit only finance sheet, HR can see and edit only HR sheet and other sheets could not be opened by them.

Please add such feature that can benefit the owner.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Would like to be able to create labels and merge documents

Should be able to create labels and merge documents from excel or even an addess list creared in word

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. ADD the ability to add values from outside worksheets ASAP

We need to take one workbook on our sharepoint and use the numbers in it to change calculation on another.. such as "connection, or simply links' in Excel 2010 or 2013 or 365 desktop(2016)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show current online users in online file

Would be good if we can see the current online users in online excel file..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please add a time stamp to the chat window

Add a timestamp to the chat window

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please make it easier for the administrator to unshare a document or lock it from editing.

Auto lock a document once a deadline has been reached. Make it so only the admin has edit options once a specific time has been reached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add the ability to Share/Lock specific Sheets within one Shared Excel file.

When sharing one Excel files with multiple Sheets at the bottom, I'd like the ability to have certain shared users ONLY have access to their correct Sheet for the information they need. This ultimately will allow me to consolidate the amount of Excel files I'm currently making for 75 schools into 1 file with 75 Sheets of data.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base