Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How did the file get corrupted.

OUr Excel Files got corrupted How?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Format dates consistently

You can stop Excel INCONSISTENTLY formatting some dates as numbers, some in US format and some in UK format - even within the same column! It makes Excel UTTERLY USELESS, which is why I saved in Open Office format - which Excel online now can't open.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. My suggestion is to put Office 365 in the trash where it belongs and label it "unproduction software"

My suggestion is to put Office 365 in the trash where it belongs and label it "unproduction software"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please activate Conditional formatting, freezing view like Google offers. The online file gets corrupted often resulting in multiple upload

Please activate Conditional formatting, freezing view like Google offers. The online file gets corrupted often resulting in multiple upload. Franchise/ service support should be made available.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Error when inserting rows or columns

Inserting rows and columns works normally (normally...), but whenever inserting a row/column would affect more than one table, Excel returns "This operation is not allowed. The operation is attempting to shift cells in a table on your worksheet."

To this I initially responded "Duh? I do that all the time, why doesn't it work now?" Normally it would just insert a new row/column, and shift the rest of the table over, but in this case it's complaining because it has to shift the contents of more than one table at a time.

I don't really mind the mild inconvenience of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Excel Typing Not Working

For some reason, both on my phone and the computer, excel's typing input box is not working. I am unable to type in any data. That seems to be the only thing not working for right now, but a pretty important one.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Don't bug me with a dialog for a shared document every time my laptop goes offline. Ok to display a message in-pane

I get a popup for 'session expired' when my laptop goes to sleep that I have to click on in order to continue; would be better for it to signal the issue in-pane or not even bother me till I try to do something with the document. If you have 5 documents open in different tabs, is this going to freeze every one of them till I click Ok? This is not what Google docs does...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Disable subscription validation when using Excel off line. It was validated when I installed it and I should be able to use it off line.

Disable subscription validation when using Excel off line. It was validated when I installed it and I should be able to use it off line with all features activated. When I try to use it off line, I get a message that the subscription could not be validated, so most features will not work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make comments in excel be also saved when downloaded to pc

Whenever I download a copy of my online excel file and open it, it says "Excel found unreadable content in <filename>. Do you want to recover.." It doesn't include the comments which is very important to me as they are like my diary, reminding what that was all about.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve excel online error for file > 5mb

The error message in Excel online for file > 5 MB gives optoin to open in desktop or cancel.
    Add option to download the file. Most of the time Open in desktop does not work for me, so I firsrt have to download, then open in desktop.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatically open file in Excel desktop if the file is above 5MB

Simple enough. Excel online throws an error when the file is above 5MB in size, and doesn't give the user any other options. Effectively, the file is inaccessible to the user. If the file is above the Excel online limit, have the file open in Excel desktop instead.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please delete Excel online. It is completely useless. Thanks.

Please delete Excel online. It is completely useless. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel keeps crashing when online version is open from SharePoint and another version of any Excel document is opened from the MS Office 365.

Excel keeps crashing when online version is open from SharePoint and another version of any Excel document is opened from the MS Office 365.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide capabilities to key in your Password to those file protected

have access to files with Password protective. Let the user key in their password to access the file instead of having to open the PC excel programs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Prompt pop window for opening password protected file on excel online

Prompt pop window for opening password protected file

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get rid of it. You lose all functionality and print settings. It should not be a default setting and only made an option is required.

Get rid of it. You lose all functionality and print settings. It should not be a default setting and only made an option is required.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. how do you add a sheet to exel

there is no plus sign

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. i need to download the file

i need to download the file, i don't have the option to download the file that im working, just said that cannot open files bigger than Mb

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base