Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Your session has exceeded its limits and has been closed" is unclear language, articulate what "the limit" is and how it's exceded

"Your session has exceeded its limits and has been closed"

Error Id: d5beba95-ab91-4d03-b643-f81fb062e0c8, 2018-06-13 15:57:51Z

This error message don't clearly articulate what the user did wrong or how to avoid doing it again. A more detailed message, or one that uses clear language to define what "exceeded its limits" even means, would provide users with a way to avoid getting this error, over and over, as I have.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. control the opening mode (offline) with sharepoint shortcut pointing at excel file (now enforce online)

in a document library, you can enforce the use of client application. so excel does open in excel offline. when creating a shortcut to file, it open online anyway.

I would like to be able to 'ban' online cause we use some project file maintained by lots of different people and i've noticed several cases of data loss due to version being ovewritten.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. If the file is greater than 30 MB you can give us options to download.

If the file is greater than 30 MB you should give US option to download,
    It's no necessary that user has MS-Office downloaded at that time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Give an option of specific excel files to be opened in the desktop version instead of excel online

Currently Excel files that have links to other Excel files in SharePoint will not open in Excel Online, if the default in SharePoint is set to open excel is Excel online then an error is given. There needs to be an option to change the default application specific excel files are opened rather than global setting.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. LET ME EDIT

LET ME EDIT

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Disable automatic query refresh when opening Excel online

As you state in your error message, "data refresh"..."that uses secure external data connections to on-premises servers.."will probably not work in Office 365". It doesn't. This is an obstacle to online collaboration where a developer creates an auto-updating Excel file with pivot tables that refresh on open using secure connections to SQL server for an end user who needs this information on their portable device. Instead of forcing the Excel Online user to go through the error messages and warnings, why not offer the option (checkbox on error message?) to turn off refresh in Excel Online, while maintaining it for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. An orientation button NEEDS TO BE added to micosoft excel online it is a neccesity.

An orientation Button NEEDS to be added to Microsoft Excel Online it is a neccesity.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fix Grammatical Errors in "Couldn't Open the Workbook"

Please fix the grammatical errors in the following message.

"We're sorry, we couldn't open your workbook... Do you want to try and open this file in Excel?"

The first sentence is a "comma splice." It should be "We're sorry. We couldn't open your workbook."

The last sentence has "try and," which is a common mistake. The sentence should read "Do you want to try to open this file in Excel?" In other words, instead of using "try and," use "try to."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. more info on why the file cannot be opened.

A LibreOffice saved as .xlsx file cannot be opened in the online Sharepoint. The error is very generic and it does not give even a starting point where to look. it would be nice to have a more detailed description of the error to be able to rectify the issues between the vendors of the office suits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. fix spread excel

when I update spread sheet and close it out completely they try to open master copy then it shouldn't tell me that I have it locked when I triple checked and don't even have any excel programs open. please fix this

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. MS template which has been downloaded from Microsoft Office online. not opening back.

MS template e.g. Budget Chart which has been downloaded from Microsoft Office online. Template is not opening back when I'm opening back through Same office online. Bug is that when I'm opening a file which has been created by an app, the file should open with the same app like xls files open with MS Excel, ppt files opening with MS Powerpoint etc. In this case xlts is not opening with MS Excel Online.

In fact testing to be done like the file formats which are created using the Microsoft online has to open in the respective templates. Trust this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Auto fill of the above word is not working like excel offline while we using the FREEZPAN in excel online , please take a look on it

Auto fill of the above word is not working like excel offline while we using the FREEZPAN in excel online , please take a look on it

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When the Workbook in Excel Online exceeds the file size limit ...

If the Workbook in Excel Online exceeds the file size limit to open it, please let us download it to our hard drive

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 日本語に切り替えたい

日本語に切り替えたい

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. fix problem with page up / down scrolling

I hit Page Down and see I'm on line 64; then I hit Page Up and suddenly, I'm on line 14; if I hit Page Down again, it goes back to 64, ad infinitum -- the app skips the several pages in between. If I use the arrow keys, I can get back in control and get to the rows the app was jumping over.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. It sucks ***!!!!

It sucks ***. What is it? A bunch of outsourced foreign programmers making this ****??!!!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Totally bad software, never comes true on expectation. resolve it as soon as you can

Totally bad software, never comes true on expectation. resolve it as soon as you can

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base