Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. NOW() Function

If I am the editor of a spreadsheet and limit the iterations of the sheet to 1, I can time stamp a cell based on the adjacent cell input. Unfortunately, the time that is stamped is based on the time in what I assume is Seattle WA while I live in the EST zone. Those that share the file with me do not see EST but rather three hours earlier than that. Can we set a default time zone for this purpose?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Linking Charts

Hi there
    I hope this message finds you well
    I think it would be a great idea that users have the opportunity to link charts from one file in another
    For example to link a chart from Excel in a Word file
    That would make it easier to upload information and summarize it, especially information including numbers.
    Thanks a lot for your time
    Have a wonderful day :D

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow workbooks to be checked out by more than one person

Allow workbooks to be checked out by more than one person. We are sharing an excel workbook where each team member has their own tab. There is no situation where people would be modifying the same data at the same time. Can you add this "multi-person" checkout as an option?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. We need to be able to edit this spreadsheet and it is too large to download.

We need to be able to edit this spreadsheet and it is too large to download.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Workbook size

We need the ability to zoom and/or decrease size of workbook. It's so big, as a laptop user, I can only see a few cells at a time and have to scroll reducing efficiency.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lost functionality on "online Excel"

. simple tasks like merging cells, or clearing a data filter are missing and the "how can I help provides no instructions for how to perform basic function in the app.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a "Select All Tabs" ability in the online version of Excel...

In the Excel version installed on a computer, one can select all tabs, and make wholesale changes to format that affects all of the pages. This function to select all tabs in a workbook seems to be missing. Please add it...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide options to open Excel when it cannot be opened on Browser

If an excel file cannot be opened for various reason on the browser, an option should be given to the user to open it on the desktop/client.

E.g. I am getting an error "The requested range does not exist in the sheet"

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can we please customise the ribbon or have the developer tab in excel online

Sliders are brilliant in excel but you can only access via the developer tab which can only be accessed by changing the ribbon.
    Maybe there is another way to get the same result/function with the above. Either way I am just looking for this functionality.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. NOT WORKING

Can it please work when you open it???

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Would love if it had the option after pasting data to paste special so you could choose to paste formatting only etc.

To either provide the same option as in Microsoft Excel where a small box appears to change your paste options or if that can't be done, maybe a few paste options like a format painter section.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I want option to hide / show sheet Tabs which is available in offline Excel. Is it available in Online. Confirm. NEELESH

I want option to hide / show sheet Tabs which is available in offline Excel. Is it available in Online. Confirm. NEELESH

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Online is not user friendly when removing table formatting.

There should be a fix for that rather than an error message. Example, a way to extend the current table or a way to remove the existing table formatting in order to create a new table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When using filtert, the drop down menu does not show the possible selection in the column. The offline version has this capability

Filter in offline version automatically generate the option in the drop down menu. But the online version does not support it. Please add it!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ctrl+; (semi-colon) to insert the current date & Ctrl+Shift+; (semi-colon) To insert the current time do not work in excel online.

Ctrl+; (semi-colon) to insert the current date & Ctrl+Shift+; (semi-colon) To insert the current time do not work in excel online. This is a basic function that should work in excel online also as it does in excel windows application.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I cannot change the number in to date by cell formatting while editing excel on line

I cannot change the number in to date by cell formatting while editing excel on line

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Disable autofill in excel online

Stop the Autofill in excel online.
    Just give us a button to turn it on or off. I can see how it can be useful, but where I work it's usually just a hindrance and ugly.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "unsupported auto update for huge excel files", improve update in the related Excel file ,while using Sharepoint locally.

I would like to inform you that the reason for the delayed update in the related Excel file is due to unsupported auto update for huge files and pivot and other main features are not supported in the Online version of Excel. For instance, we have two separate excel files and need to link to each other. For the first time , it is updating , but when we close and open it again, we need to go and update values manually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give an option of specific excel files to be opened in the desktop version instead of excel online

Currently Excel files that have links to other Excel files in SharePoint will not open in Excel Online, if the default in SharePoint is set to open excel is Excel online then an error is given. There needs to be an option to change the default application specific excel files are opened rather than global setting.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base