Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Universal Pinning of Excel Files

Add the capability to pin recently used files in the web version of Excel (and other Office applications). Synchronize pinned files between desktop/client Excel applications and web Excel application. Make pinned Excel files available via the Open File screen in the web version of Excel as shown in the screenshot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Office Scripts with Visual Studio Code

I want to use VS Code to Develop Office Scripts, like Office Add-ins.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,
    Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.
    We are in the process of developing VS Code Extension for Office Scripts. We are very curios to hear your feedback when we have the initial version ready for usability testing. Would you be interested in hearing from us on this matter? If so, please email me and I can reach out separately.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com

4. Add Timestamp column for table

This applies to both online and desktop version. When values change in a row in a table, in some cases information about when the change was done is required (e.g. when a workbook is shared and updated manually by several users). This can be solved by an event in VBA, but it can also be solved by using a formula and 'Enable iterative calculation'. The last option requires changing a application-wide option in Excel settings, if this could apply only to a workbook at least it would be possible to create a solution that works for all users using a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow to Enable New Simplified API

Who gets to preview it? When will it come out of Preview (been almost a year)? Will it be available in Excel online? Is a special license required? I'm using the free Excel online.

If i create a script containing the following:

function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
      // Your code goes here
    }
    i just get an error "Cannot find namespace 'ExcelScript'." Can i enable this by adding something to the Libraries tab?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create IMPORTRANGE function much like google sheets

I don't see an equivalent of Google's IMPORTRANGE to index data live from another workbook.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enhanced Excel online collaboration experience & efficiency

Hi Team

To enhance online collaboration, improve experience & efficiency, I suggest:

1. Allow a mirror copy of the file to be downloaded on the the individual user's desktop, let them work as if working with a stand-alone file, including custom filters, sorting - each used be allowed to filter as per their requirement, update cell range as per their requirement and excel automatically updates relevant data range on the actual file online

2. Excel files, no matter what their size, must open and close faster than it currently does, stop from hanging midway in middle of an operation/s

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Give Office Scripts access to an XML library

Most of our VBA macro spreadsheets involve generating XML imports for other programs. I would prefer to move to Office Scripts and One Drive, but cannot find an interface to build an XML document like the DOM API.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for adding your request.
    Couple of clarification questions to help understand the ask:

• Is the goal to generate XML document from the script? How will the XML be passed to the other programs? Do you intend to use Power Automate flows for that?
    • Could you please elaborate on which specific DOM APIs are you looking for?
      For instance:
      const doc = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
      const peopleElem = doc.createElement(“people”);

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft . com

10. Please let us choose the decimal separator in Excel online

Please let us choose the decimal separator in Excel online

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Online Excel needs to have 'Name Manager as an option'

The online Excel version does not have the 'Name Manager' option, which I use frequently for Macros and VBScript. To get the features I need, I end up having to open the application on my desktop.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Password-protected Excel Workbooks on OneDrive

Password protected spreadsheets do not allow them to be opened again on One Drive. No prompt to enter password...

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Recover 7z password

Did you lost your 7z file password and know how to recover 7z password Then don’t trouble just Download SysInspire 7z password recovery software which is best way to recover lost 7z Password by using three method dictionary attack ,mass attack and brute force attack. Download demo version after being satisfied purchase full version of the software.

Get the details - https://www.sysinspire.com/7z-password-recovery-software/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Desktop vs Excel Online - online version should have all/most of the same features

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Paste/Formatting - When pasting into the online version, the format doesn't stay.

~ Sorting - There are very limited sorting options in the online version.

~ Copying data. I have about 300 lines of data that's about 10 columns wide and am unable to copy it so that I can paste it into another document and sort it the way I need (since online version has limited options for sorting, as mentioned…

750 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. allow named cell in on-line version

allow named cell in on-line version

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app

Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app.

See attached Screenshot 1.
    Currently when the list of scripts is displayed, see screenshot 2, it lists the scripts but there is no associated information along side each script. For example,
    • “file size”, KB, MB etc.
    • “date modified”, local date format
    • “date created”, local date format
    • “last ran date”, local date format (and time)
    • “duration” - how long it took for the script to run on its previous run),
    • “memory last used” - how much memory the script took in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you this feedback.

We are investigating additional reporting capabilities and will consider the detailed list of metrics that are mentioned in this feedback.

Thanks for such a detailed feedback.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft.com

17. scientific notation

Give an option to not format large numbers as Scientific notation (all workbooks). 99% of users don't use it and just get annoyed by it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Teams shows someone else has a excel file locked but it doesnt tell you who so please add userid of the locking user.

While editing a excel file on team it mentions someone else has it locked but it doesn't tell you who so please add the userID of the user that has locked the file so it can be contacted to continue working.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Customisable formula bar size. The ability to scroll within the formula bar

Enable formula bar size adjustment. Add reliable scroll function within formula bar. Tap cursor back or forward to allow cursor movement between characters in formula bar.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. In Excel allow modifying the decimal separator within the web application.

In Excel (Office Web) allow to modify the decimal separator within the web application. Because it does not always take the system configuration, and not all countries use the same decimal nomenclature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base