Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create IMPORTRANGE function much like google sheets

I don't see an equivalent of Google's IMPORTRANGE to index data live from another workbook.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Recover 7z password

Did you lost your 7z file password and know how to recover 7z password Then don’t trouble just Download SysInspire 7z password recovery software which is best way to recover lost 7z Password by using three method dictionary attack ,mass attack and brute force attack. Download demo version after being satisfied purchase full version of the software.

Get the details - https://www.sysinspire.com/7z-password-recovery-software/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel Desktop vs Excel Online - online version should have all/most of the same features

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Paste/Formatting - When pasting into the online version, the format doesn't stay.

~ Sorting - There are very limited sorting options in the online version.

~ Copying data. I have about 300 lines of data that's about 10 columns wide and am unable to copy it so that I can paste it into another document and sort it the way I need (since online version has limited options for sorting, as mentioned…

744 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. scientific notation

Give an option to not format large numbers as Scientific notation (all workbooks). 99% of users don't use it and just get annoyed by it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Teams shows someone else has a excel file locked but it doesnt tell you who so please add userid of the locking user.

While editing a excel file on team it mentions someone else has it locked but it doesn't tell you who so please add the userID of the user that has locked the file so it can be contacted to continue working.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Customisable formula bar size. The ability to scroll within the formula bar

Enable formula bar size adjustment. Add reliable scroll function within formula bar. Tap cursor back or forward to allow cursor movement between characters in formula bar.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When use in Sharepoint, with microsoft 365, get full report log about use, like

have a complete report of use, such as deletion of comments etc ... at the administrator level.
    i use Sharepoint and have a lot files. i need more and better , most complete log.

I don't want a user to be able to delete a comment
    thanks

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include a script search box in the Scripts pane

Add a search box in the Scripts pane. Also , perhaps, add the ability to create folders in the pane , too. Enter text in the search box would filter those scripts that are listed making it easier to find the one you need. I am, already, having to scroll through a hundred scripts and that is, only, after a few months of using Office Scripts. In a year or two I will have hundreds of scripts which will, actually, be impossible to navigate.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add office scripts to shapes in Excel Online

Assign script/Vba/macro to a shape in Excel online

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Excel for web doesn’t support VBA or macros. There is however a new scripting option if you are looking to automate your solution. Office Scripts is a new offering we released in public preview earlier this year. It offers recording and scripting capabilities based on TypeScript/JavaScript languages. Please check out https://aka.ms/office-scripts for details.

Office Scripts doesn’t yet allow shape based triggers. It is something that is of interest to us. Could you please provide some details how how you wish to use this in Excel for web?

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com
    The Microsoft Team

10. Office Scripts with Visual Studio Code

I want to use VS Code to Develop Office Scripts, like Office Add-ins.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,
    Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.
    We are in the process of developing VS Code Extension for Office Scripts. We are very curios to hear your feedback when we have the initial version ready for usability testing. Would you be interested in hearing from us on this matter? If so, please email me and I can reach out separately.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com

11. Enable editing of text boxes in Excel Online

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    ExcelOnlineでテキストボックスの編集を出来るようにしたい。
    Enable editing of text boxes in Excel Online

■Description(内容):
    共同作業をする際にアプリのExcelのようにテキストボックスを利用できるよう、機能実装を希望いたします。

When working together on a file, please make it possible to edit text boxes in Excel Online in the same way as you can in the Excel desktop app.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix timezone for personal office 365 personal - Excel Today() wrong date

I'm using Office 365 personal and using =today() function on excel online, gives the wrong date, as suggested by different forums online, I cannot find the regional settings that others have suggested, I'm assuming that they are only available for business accounts. Please fix this!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Implement an analytic tool for Excel online

The analytic too for Excel client doesn’t work for Excel online. I would like you to implement an analytic tool for Excel online.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Online Excel needs to have 'Name Manager as an option'

The online Excel version does not have the 'Name Manager' option, which I use frequently for Macros and VBScript. To get the features I need, I end up having to open the application on my desktop.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When I type a character in the formula bar and convert it, it doesn't enter in the cell.

■Title(件名):
    数式バーに文字を入力し変換してもセルに入力されない。
    When I type a character in the formula bar and convert it, it doesn't enter in the cell.

■Description(内容):
    iPad で Excel ファイルを Excel for the web で開いた場合、数式バーに文字を入力し変換してもセルには変換前の文字が入力される。
    変換後の文字が入力されるよう機能の改善を希望します。

When you open an Excel file in Excel for the web on an iPad, the cell is entered before the conversion character when you type and convert characters in the formula bar.
    Please improve the function so that the converted character is entered.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make information publicly available about sheet name restriction in Excel on the web

■Title(件名):
    Excel on the web にてシート名の制限についての公開情報が欲しい。
    Make information publicly available about sheet name restriction in Excel on the web

■Description(内容):
    ​Excel デスクトップアプリケーションではシート名の最大数が 31 文字という制限がある旨の公開情報が存在するが、Excel on the web の制限についてのシート名に関する公開情報がありません。
    Excel on the web にて 21 文字以上にすると [ctrl + f] を使用した検索をするとエラーになるため、文字数にデスクトップアプリケーションとは異なる制限があるものと存じます。
    制限の詳細な公開情報を要望します。​

There is public information available that a sheet name is limited to 31 characters for Excel desktop application. But there is no such information about Excel on the web. "Ctrl+F" search in Excel on the web begets an error when the sheet name contains 20 or more characters. So, there must be a restriction to the number…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. import data from text file into excel online

To all,

I wished that excel online had the ability to import data from a TXT or CSV file from a location in onedrive. This would be a game changer for me and some of my personal reports.

tks,

Eduardo Simas

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app

Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app.

See attached Screenshot 1.
    Currently when the list of scripts is displayed, see screenshot 2, it lists the scripts but there is no associated information along side each script. For example,
    • “file size”, KB, MB etc.
    • “date modified”, local date format
    • “date created”, local date format
    • “last ran date”, local date format (and time)
    • “duration” - how long it took for the script to run on its previous run),
    • “memory last used” - how much memory the script took in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you this feedback.

We are investigating additional reporting capabilities and will consider the detailed list of metrics that are mentioned in this feedback.

Thanks for such a detailed feedback.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft.com

20. Increase script run time limit

Power Automate has a time limit of approximately one minute to allow an Office Script (the Excel Script Connector, to run. I found that when that time limit runs out the error message, returned in Power Automate, does not specify that. It, just, says “Your Flow failed. Try again.” While not only unhelpful, that message is wrong. One should not “try again” as that would not fix the problem. It would merely repeat the run of the flow incurring the same error situation. So, if the error message could be more informative and if the time limit could be longer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base