Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When I type a character in the formula bar and convert it, it doesn't enter in the cell.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    数式バーに文字を入力し変換してもセルに入力されない。
    When I type a character in the formula bar and convert it, it doesn't enter in the cell.

■Description(内容):
    iPad で Excel ファイルを Excel for the web で開いた場合、数式バーに文字を入力し変換してもセルには変換前の文字が入力される。
    変換後の文字が入力されるよう機能の改善を希望します。

When you open an Excel file in Excel for the web on an iPad, the cell is entered before the conversion character when you type and convert characters in the formula bar.
    Please improve the function so that the converted character is entered.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office Scripts with Visual Studio Code

I want to use VS Code to Develop Office Scripts, like Office Add-ins.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,
    Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.
    We are in the process of developing VS Code Extension for Office Scripts. We are very curios to hear your feedback when we have the initial version ready for usability testing. Would you be interested in hearing from us on this matter? If so, please email me and I can reach out separately.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com

3. Add office scripts to shapes in Excel Online

Assign script/Vba/macro to a shape in Excel online

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Excel for web doesn’t support VBA or macros. There is however a new scripting option if you are looking to automate your solution. Office Scripts is a new offering we released in public preview earlier this year. It offers recording and scripting capabilities based on TypeScript/JavaScript languages. Please check out https://aka.ms/office-scripts for details.

Office Scripts doesn’t yet allow shape based triggers. It is something that is of interest to us. Could you please provide some details how how you wish to use this in Excel for web?

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com
    The Microsoft Team

4. Online Excel needs to have 'Name Manager as an option'

The online Excel version does not have the 'Name Manager' option, which I use frequently for Macros and VBScript. To get the features I need, I end up having to open the application on my desktop.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Find and replace should have the option to modify the color of the text and fill again

I used to be able to use the find and replace all tool to quickly make changes to not only the data in multiple cells, but also the color of the text and fill color. Now I have to manually change every cell to do so, which is time consuming and irritating!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel in Teams text alignment

Allow for vertical text alignment when veiwing Excel Docs in Teams. Currently if having a table/list using vertical text in an Excel it moves the text and makes the column unreadable.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Implement an analytic tool for Excel online

The analytic too for Excel client doesn’t work for Excel online. I would like you to implement an analytic tool for Excel online.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel tabs

Excel tabs in teams keep jumping around it would be great to be able to lock the tab order in place.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Function to check history of users editing in Excel Online

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    Excel Online 編集ユーザーの履歴を確認できる機能の実装
    Function to check history of users editing in Excel Online

■Description(内容):
    Excel Online 編集ユーザーの履歴を確認できる機能の実装を希望

Please add a function to check history of users editing in Excel Online.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. filter issue

There is inconsistent behavior between filtering on data in the Desktop version of Excel and in the web version of Excel.
    In the situation where the top row of the table is a table header with 2 or more cells merged and the actual table headers on the second row with data in each column the following behavior shows.
    Desktop Version:
    - The top header row is skipped when more than two cells are merged, and filtering starts at the second row where the real headers are. This is the right behavior.
    - When only two cells are merged for…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app

Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app.

See attached Screenshot 1.
    Currently when the list of scripts is displayed, see screenshot 2, it lists the scripts but there is no associated information along side each script. For example,
    • “file size”, KB, MB etc.
    • “date modified”, local date format
    • “date created”, local date format
    • “last ran date”, local date format (and time)
    • “duration” - how long it took for the script to run on its previous run),
    • “memory last used” - how much memory the script took in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Increase script run time limit

Power Automate has a time limit of approximately one minute to allow an Office Script (the Excel Script Connector, to run. I found that when that time limit runs out the error message, returned in Power Automate, does not specify that. It, just, says “Your Flow failed. Try again.” While not only unhelpful, that message is wrong. One should not “try again” as that would not fix the problem. It would merely repeat the run of the flow incurring the same error situation. So, if the error message could be more informative and if the time limit could be longer…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Money in Excel"

Money in Excel: It appears that you only import about a month of historical transactions. I would like a way to request you pull more transactions, or the ability to load historical transactions from a CSV or Excel file.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Money in Excel: Import historical transactions

Money in Excel: It appears that you only import a couple months of historical transactions. I would like a way to request you pull more transactions, or the ability to load historical transactions from a CSV or Excel file.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Protect Range/Sheet, Collaboration Range/Sheet, Tracking history of workbook

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Besides that, in comparison, Microsoft Excel Online doesn't have advanced features in the Google Sheets. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Protecting features only works in desktop version (not work online)

~ Microsoft Excel Only cannot protect sheets, but Google Sheets can protect sheets or ranges. Therefore, many users can collaborate together with high security in range/ranges, same sheet/sheets in a common workbook.

~ and so many advanced other feature in Google Sheets doesn't appear in Microsoft Excel

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The right click Show/Hide Field List option on a pivot table is not saving.

The right click Show/Hide Field List on a pivot table does not save. My field list keeps coming back, even though I have set it to Hide.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. get an external URL for a specific cell in an Excel file

In Teams have the ability to get an external URL for a specific cell rather than just the entire excel file. Oftentimes we are trying to point staff to a particular sheet within the file and a cell within that sheet rather than just go to the file and then have to find it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow for custom colors or an expanded option set for choosing colors for text, cell backgrounds, and tab labeling.

The color palette for excel online is extremely limited. Expanding the palette or allowing for a color wheel selection option or HTML color entry would be fantastic.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base