Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need Floating "Cell Color Pane"

today need 3 clicks

1) select cell, 2) click on the paint can, 3) select color

with floating Color pane

then

1) select cell, 2) select color

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Web version is so unreliable

My proposal is that in 10 years google sheets is going to dominate the world. What I show in the screenshot is something that's never happened to me with google sheets.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Web version is so unreliable

My proposal is that in 10 years google sheets is going to dominate the world. What I show in the screenshot is something that's never happened to me with google sheets.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please, allow decimal separator in Excel Online or make it easier to change it!

Our users don't want to change all the region and language of Office365 for such a small feature...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Filtering on multiple selection on VBA coded dropdown list

I think it would be useful filtering for multiple selection dropdown lists,
    I don't think it is possible to do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Teams does not allow you to use the notes feature in excel

Notes are much better than comments in excel and you don't let us add notes when working on excel in Teams. Accountants use spreadsheets year after year and the notes feature is key to documenting what is in the cell. Comments doesn't do the job.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Word Wrap By Default for all cells

Word wrap is not enabled by default. Usually we have to enable it one column at a time or cell at a time. Can we have it enabled by default ? (Option to disable can be there)

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Freeze first row in Excel by default

In most spreadsheets the first row is usually headings. Can we have that row frozen by default (of course have undo allowed).
    Save everyone across the world the time to freeze that top row !
    Those that want column and row freeze options can do it manually.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Power Query in Excel for the Web + JavaScript API for Office Scripts

I heared some rumors about PQ in excel online,
    is a plan to add this to the roadmap?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
    We are indeed working on PQ for Excel for the Web, as part of our efforts to make PQ work cross-platform.
    PQ JS APIs for Office Scripts are also part of this effort.

Stay tuned for updates :)

Jonathan
    [PM @ Excel]

10. Office Scripts with access to other files on SharePoint or OneDrive

It would be nice to import other ExcelScript object from specifed path.
    Or import other files (txt,csv) in base64 format then convert them to readable format (array of values)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Microsoft provide a definitive position on controls in Excel Online

Excel Online still doesn't support controls, which is now making it inferior to even Google Sheets, which now allows tick (check) boxes to be inserted into cells.

I'm aware that in-cell lists can be used as a workaround/replacement for drop down boxes, but check boxes are hugely valuable as they allow single-click toggling of binary assumptions. In-cell lists containing TRUE/FALSE or Yes/No require 3 clicks to toggle, which is a relatively jarring user experience.

I would like a definitive statement from Microsoft indicating whether controls will ever be included in Excel Online.

To date it's been made clear that this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow the decimal point to be customized for specific region

Allow the decimal point to be customized for specific region - i.e. for South Africa allow setting the decimal point to a full stop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Minimise default number of empty rows in new worksheets

Problem:
    Currently when creating a new workbook, or opening an existing workbook, Excel seems to automatically load tens of thousands of empty rows at the bottom. This absurdly high number of rows makes it harder to navigate as it makes the vertical scroll bar useless - particularly since Excel sometimes has an unexpected halfway-down default viewport on existing workbooks.

Possible Solution:
    Make the default number of rows in new or existing workbooks a most a hundred empty rows more than the number of rows with content in them.

Example #1 A new blank workbook starts with 100 rows loaded

Example…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. add additional durations for "return()"

Stock data information is great!

the maximum duration for return is presently 5 year. Would be very helpful if 10 year and 15 year durations could be added.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable GoalSeek for doing complex iterations

For calculation accurate mortgage plans you will need to do a goal seek - this is currently not possible with Excel for Web. As ideal situation you could insert the input parameters and then the goal seek procedure can started with the click of a button.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to hide an Office Script created in one Excel Online file from other Excel Online files

I would like the ability to hide an Office Script that I create in one Excel Online file from my other Excel Online files.

And, even more useful: while only scripts created within a file should display by default in that particular file's Script Gallery under the Automate tab, when we select "All My Scripts" (which displays my scripts in the Code Editor pane that opens at the right), it is here that I would like to see all Scripts from all of my Excel files, and from here be able to enable and disable whether a script is available…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed explanation. A couple of follow-up questions to help understand the requirement:
    1. Would an additional action by the user such as ‘Pin this script’ to the workbook be acceptable?
    2. I understand the organizational aspects of the ask. Are there scenarios where you do not wish to run scripts on certain workbooks?

Thank you.

17. Add more functions to Excel on the web, such as diagonal lines, word wrapping and insertion of text boxes

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    Web 用 Excel の斜め罫線、折り返し表示、テキスト ボックス挿入の機能拡充希望
    Add more functions to Excel on the web, such as diagonal lines, word wrapping and insertion of text boxes

■Description(内容):
    Web 用 Excel では、Excel クライアント アプリと異なり様々な機能制限があり不便。
    特に以下の機能については Web 用 Excel でも利用できる機能の拡充を希望します。
    ・ 斜め罫線
    ・ 書式設定 > 配置 > "折り返して全体を表示する"
    ・ 挿入 > テキスト ボックス
    これらが実現するだけで、業務効率は各段に向上します。

There are a number of restrictions in the web version of Excel that differ from the client version.
    In particular, please add the following functions:
    Diagonal ruled lines
    Formatting – Align – Wrap to fit
    Insert – Text Box
    If these were added, it would improve…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable editing of text boxes in Excel Online

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    ExcelOnlineでテキストボックスの編集を出来るようにしたい。
    Enable editing of text boxes in Excel Online

■Description(内容):
    共同作業をする際にアプリのExcelのようにテキストボックスを利用できるよう、機能実装を希望いたします。

When working together on a file, please make it possible to edit text boxes in Excel Online in the same way as you can in the Excel desktop app.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Office 365 Excel needs the show formula function

CTRL + ` would display the entire sheet in formula view. As a teacher, I need this feature to correct student work.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Use Office Scripts to change the source data for pivot table

We should be able to use office scripts to adjust the source data for pivot table

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base