Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User A shared a folder for user B by sending a link through mail, User B wants access the folder by creating shortcut on his desktop.

Needs a shortcut on User B's desktop to edit daily. because users A & B both have to work on single folder on daily basis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel online vs. excel - Can we only allow the user to edit the spreadsheet online, by default, rather than always choosing an option?

May I suggest only allowing persons to work in the excel online by default rather than giving both options to work online or in regular mode? It would eliminate confusion.. especially among old skool users. Perhaps there could be a feature somewhere under the file menu to export the online spreadsheet to a regular mode or pdf instead. This way, multiple people can work in the sheet with less confusion and locking (like google sheets!). It would also show revision history (as I suggested in a prior suggestion)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. You must have FILTER as an online option. Google has it. People won't use One Drive for editing docs if you don't

your online version of excel states

NOTE: In Excel Online, you can sort only a single column ascending (A to Z) or descending (Z to A); multi-column and custom sorting aren't supported yet

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enhance "... you haven't been interacting ..." message

I've recently started getting this pop-up:
    We noticed that you haven't been interacting with this workbook, so we paused your session.
    What does a "paused session" mean?
    It would be good to:
    a) Know how long that inactivity period was.
    b) Know if there was a way to change it either individually or at the "corporate" level.
    c) Give "warning" before it happened (maybe it does and I have not noticed).
    d) Offer help as to why people are getting the message and what the "benefits" of it are.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please add a time stamp to the chat window

Add a timestamp to the chat window

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show who has a document open

When using Excel Online, it would be great to see who has the spreadsheet open so you can notify them to close it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Insert Link - remove initial http from URL

It takes 3 hotkeys to insert link:
    Add link (Ctrl+K), Select all (Ctrl+A), Paste (Ctrl+V).

I want 2 hotkeys:
    Add link (Ctrl+K), Paste (Ctrl+V).

Auto-filled http is useless, and any copy-pasted URL is now appended to it, producing invalid URL.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Edit in Desktop and Online as Same Time

Currently, when someone is editing with Excel Online, a Collaborator cannot edit in Excel Desktop Mode. Please allow for editing in both methods at the same time. PowerPoint and Word allow this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The teacher's union had been notified when I was teaching by Christine Quinn

My original war effort stated in 1970 and this is why I feel as though the TEXAS DEPT OF HUMAN HEALTH SERVICES ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR THEM SINCE 2013/rehab units RE: The differences of reality and being delusional and working for them. I have designed the way that the government could understand embezzled meant as a crime that has been perpetrated against me as I have worked.taught and learned every difference of what it takes to be a sucessful teacher, medical technologist, bill writer and collection accountable clerk. This is why I am still working even for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. find

Currently when doing a "find" search, the program works pretty well as long as it finds what you're searching for. If it doesn't find what you are searching for, the cursor jumps up to the top left corner, in an empty cell, of the spreadsheet. It would be really nice if the cursor didn't move at all but the search command just returned a "not found" message so you quickly knew there was nothing in the spreadsheet, rather than trying to find your cursor & where it may have moved in a cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Table Range Update

After adding new information to a current table from an exported spreadsheet, the new data will no longer sort. You have to open the file in Excel on the desktop and manually change the Table Range even though it is already selected the new data. Once this is done then you are able to sort the new data correctly. Please provide a way to mitigate this little glitch.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Notificaiton

It would be nice to have configurable notifications when a sheet connected to a survey form is updated (IE user submits new survey form)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hyperlink within hyperlink

It would be great if the Worksheet can be programmed as having Hyperlink within Hyperlink, eg;

I have 2x spreadsheet, 1 is the one I steer meeting to the board and other spreadsheet is used by our projects team to update on progress, which has Hyperlink to the supporting documents for the projects. I would like my spreadsheet be able to hyperlink and go straight to the supporting documents.

Is it possible??

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Full Screen mode should actually be full screen (just like a PowerPoint presentation is)

In Excel I can build beautiful, dynamic charts, but I have to output these into PowerPoint for presentations. If Excel could actually be Full Screen (i.e. covering the menu bar at the bottom and not displaying the file name at the top), it would enable Excel to be used as a dynamic presentation tool by itself.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base