Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I have an Excel file with links to local folders and when I sync that file to Onedrive I'd like the links to refernence the Onedrive folders

I have a local Excel file with links to local folders, all in my local OneDrive folder, all synced to the online OneDrive. I'd like the online version of the Excel file to link to the online folders. And I don't want to enable the "Use Office to Sync Office files that I open" in the OneDrive Settings Office tab.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have the ability to freeze specific rows and columns at the same time...

Have the ability to freeze specific rows and columns at the same time...

old revs had this option - with a slide bars at the right, and the top- please bring it back.
    now you can only freeze a row, OR a column, in the middle of a worksheet. Sometimes you need to freeze multiple columns and rows on huge sheets

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scrolling Lock

It would be great if there is a way to freeze the spreadsheet and prevent it from scrolling to eternity - for horizontal and vertical scrolling.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It would be great to see 'Comments' in cells when hovering over them (or with a different gesture) in Excel online.

Currently, 'comments' entered in cells show up when you hover the mouse over them in the Excel desktop application. However, this feature doesn't work in Excel online. Need a way to see cell 'comments' in Excel online as well. Thanks!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Send a copy" directly from Excel Online

Currently you can share a link directly from Excel Online, but you cannot send a copy directly. On the phone app you can do this from the File menu, so I find it a bit absurd that the browser version doesn't have this functionality. Even if it opened up a new tab for Outlook and copied over the attachment, that would be great [rather than embedding in the Excel applet (best) or the current search for it after opening a tab with Outlook (worst)].

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a notification when someone has edited the file. Users can (un)subscribe to the alert.

Create an option for email notifications when someone has edited the file. Users can (un)subscribe to the alert. For excel online updates which are instantaneous, perhaps notifications every X hours / daily digest will work. If there are no edits, no notifications are sent.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When using online excel you have to introduce the permissions that a user can assign permissions to edit a specific row or column.

When using online excel you have to introduce the permissions that a user can assign permissions to edit a specific row or column for a person who he is sharing with.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. allow the uses of password protected files with chromebook

i keep some of my excel files password protected and office online, or anything i have found so far for the chromebook with work with protec

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to merge worksheet. Query function, consolidate or macro are available

We need the ability to merge data from several months into one consolidated sheet and be sorted correctly. Before the company changed from Google sheets we did this with a SQL query.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. My last action can't be undo.

When I try to do undo, it gives me an error 'Your last action can't be undone'. Want to know whether this option available in Google extension 'Office Online'.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Shove this online piece of **** up your collective *****.

Shove this online piece of up your collective *. Nothing seems to work correctly, or when it does, it doesn't the next time I try if for some unknown reason. Google was able to create collaborative apps and provide them for free. And now I can't even delete my own document from my own OneDrive location? This is inexcusable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. For dates configuration in Excel the pop-up calendar to quickly select a new date would be preferrable than having to manually type.

For dates configuration in Excel the pop-up calendar to quickly select a new date would be preferrable than having to manually type.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Couldn't able to read an online Excel spreadsheet.

"We're sorry. We can't open the workbook in the browser because it uses these unsupported features:

• Scenario Manager"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. allow alerts when using onedrive with shared excel

Sharing alert- when someone accesses/changes a shared excel sheet alerts should be sent to all who share the file

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. allow linux users to use office online please!

allow linux users to use office online please!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Displaying of Formulas in Excel 2016 365

I have Excel 2013 on desktop & Excel 2016 365 online (through my school). I also have an Ultrabook Ideapad laptop by Lenovo. My function keys on laptop do not work with Excel. I treid MANY suggestions.

I needed to display all the formulas in my workbook in Excel for a class assignment & it has to be saved in 2016 Excel. Problem is the function keys dont work & there is no formulas menu in 365. So I thought Id display the formulas in Excel 2013 & import into 2016...it complained & said it couldnt do it! Its so…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ok, please make office user friendly, not just investor friendly :)))) Pleaseeeeeee!!!! NOOOOOW!!!!!

Ok, please make office user friendly, not just investor friendly :)))) Pleaseeeeeee!!!! NOOOOOW!!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  World Readiness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Need the ability to change the cell STYLE

Online versions needs to be able to change the cell style.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Move row/column inbetween instead of replacing

This is supported in the desktop version. When a column/row is selected and it's dragged while holding shift it's possible to insert row/column inbetween instead of replacing.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base