Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  World Readiness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Paste multiple lines into Excel Online

If I have multiple lines in the clibboard and paste them into Excel Online, they should appear as multiple lines in the spreadsheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Index Match function with excel documents on the cloud

Would like a function in Excel 2016 to integrate =Index/Match functions with Lists on Excel 365 Online documents.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ability to see cell calcualations in view mode

You currently can't see how the cells are calculated, unless you are in "edit workbook" mode. It would be nice to see how cells are calculated because I need to share a sheet with others so they can see the calculations, but I don't want them to edit the sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Publish Bug tracking of this software

We need to have a public Bug tracking to report issues and see if they are getting worked on. All we see are NEW IDEAS but the existing ones sometimes don't work or there are some bad functional issues that get ignored.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Want to view worksheet tabs

I have a spreadsheet with multiple worksheets (tabs). When using Excel online, I'm only able to see the first worksheet. It would be great to be able to select which worksheet to view.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Share the same file in different folders

The ability to choose a file (or folder) and share it in multiple folders. Users in Folder A could have edit rights. Users in Folder B could have view rights.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. unsupported feature survey

Enable basic features to support pivot tables and charts as well as slicers to create reports based on the survey data. Currently, the survey forms gets disabled if such reports are created.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add ability to create/edit/modify data validation (to add drop down lists to cells)

(2016-07-11 Dan [MS]: updated title to better reflect idea)

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatically change to view only mode after certain period of time

Excel online file should be change to view mode after certain time of unactivity

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Convert an existing excel sheet to a survey (rather than having to start a blank sheet as a survey).

I have a master list of information with questions and answers on it. I want to create a survey from selected parts of it - how can I do it without having to start with a fresh survey file/cutting and pasting. I am fine if it is a second sheet in the same file as I can link through to it.
    I also may be surveying two different groups to get the answers - some questions all will answer, but some question I only one to send to one group and not the other and vice versa.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Multiple comment authors per cell.

When copying one cell to another it retains comments but only allows one comment author.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. On one drive It would be beneficial to allow file changes to be made and saved when imbeded on a web site at present changes are not saved.

On one drive It would be beneficial to allow file changes to be made and saved when imbeded on a web site at present changes are not saved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Scrolling Tabs

It would be really helpful to be able to slide the tabs bar back and forth when working in Excel on a touchscreen versus having to click every time,

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Open OneNote on desktop from hyperlink

Clicking on valid hyperlink to a page in OneNote universal app or OneNote 2016 (starting with onenote:#) works fine from Excel on desktop but results in an error message in Excel Online: "Sorry, we couldn't open this link." It would be very handy if this could work without having to modify the links to point to OneNote online.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Custom Insert>shapes

As a Civil Engineer, I use spreadsheets to produce calculations. Diagrams form an integral part of the calculations, and there are several simple shapes that I find myself having to draw over and over again, from the limited "building blocks' of the shapes built into Excel.

It would be cool if custom sets of shapes could be added (e.g. for us Civil Engineers, 'I' beams, bolts, support symbols, "north" symbol, etc.).

For Electrical Engineers, a downloadable set of Elecrical symbols, and so on.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add 'Upload File From Computer' Option

For the Online Excel, it would be nice to be able to upload a file to cloud storage and cloud editing, from a computer that doesn't have OneDrive capabilities (Windows 7 and older). This would be especially useful in situations where you have to work on a file on a non-personal computer, from a flash drive. If the file could be opened in Excel Online and then saved to OneDrive through Excel Online that would be great.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add ability to show pictures on Excel Online to view on browser

Our Sales team always view their excel documents from the different device from the browser. The pictures are on the file not shown when open from the browser. The pictures really important for users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give some more detail on what you are looking for?

Excel Online will already show pictures (JPG, PNG, etc,) that are contained in the file.

Do you mean shapes? (rectangle, circle, etc.)

Or, do you mean something else?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base