Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I sugest a swap button

I sugest a swap button where you can select two cells or maybe also rows or columns and swap the content. I have to do this manually a lot. and a button will help a lot

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Formulas and addin not working online / sharepoint

I want to enter time from other parties but the format shown here and if I do in in Excel both looks different

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. give us 1 week notice before blocking the report or talk to our company on charges

give us 1 week notice before blocking the report or talk to our company on charges

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pl. Provide BIT MAP OR CLOUD FASCILITY TO PASTE ANY EXEL SHEET ON FRONT PAGE

Earlier we used to have BIT MAP fascility while copy and thae paste.

This is missing in new microsoft

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. notification option

excel should have option to request an access if its locked by some user

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please enable using Cntrl Button in keyboard to select multiple custom cells. We normally use to use it to check the sum from random cells

In the offline excel, we use Cntrl button and select multiple cells. We do this to view sum of values (below bar) between those cells.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I would like a LOCK mode/icon for excel spreadsheets so they can be viewed and but NOT edited by accident (since i can't preview)

I would like a LOCK mode/toolbar icon for excel spreadsheets so they can be viewed and but NOT edited by accident.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. when looking at excel sheet online it times out too fast!

when looking at excel sheet online it times out too fast.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable automatic query refresh when opening Excel online

As you state in your error message, "data refresh"..."that uses secure external data connections to on-premises servers.."will probably not work in Office 365". It doesn't. This is an obstacle to online collaboration where a developer creates an auto-updating Excel file with pivot tables that refresh on open using secure connections to SQL server for an end user who needs this information on their portable device. Instead of forcing the Excel Online user to go through the error messages and warnings, why not offer the option (checkbox on error message?) to turn off refresh in Excel Online, while maintaining it for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Send notification to user who checked out the Excel. Better use Excel Online

Make user aware that working in Excel Online enables multiple users working/editing on the Excel file. Edit in Excel will lock the file.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Be able to select and change border colour and weight/style like in Excel or Google Sheets

I can open an existing Excel document in Excel online and I find some of the border formatting has changed. In my instance it is from a dotted line to a solid line. There is no option to change this, from the formatting.

I have the same document open in Google sheets and this is not an issue and the line style can be changed if required and copies over as in the original document.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. As an online excel user I would like to change only part of the content of a cell to highlight this particular content

As an online excel user I would like to change only part of the content of a cell to highlight this particular content in a different color and/or font

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create an option to turn off predictive text in Excel 365 online

Create a way to turn off or edit predictive text in Excel 365 online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Active X Support in Excel Online

Active X support for Excel Online would make the Online a far more powerful tool for data presentation and data collection.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make Removing Table formatted cells easier

Allow for removal of table formatting in sheets where the target table was copied to. When a table is copied from another sheet, "Clear Format" does not seem to remove the underlying formatting object. This makes it difficult to change the format area of the existing table, or clear out the color scheme and other table type encoding within the sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base