Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to mention @ people

It'd be great to follow Google idea and allow to mention people that have access to the document simply by adding @name .

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If file is locked and uneditable - tell me who, so I can contact them. It doesn't say so - and if it does, I cannot find it

If file is locked and uneditable - tell me who, so I can contact them. It doesn't say so - and if it does, I cannot find it

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Online support

Dear customer service officer,

I hope that is an online support that we can communicate with an officer whenever we encounter any issue.

Thank you

Best Regards
    Lynn

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Re-open Pivot Tables!

So sometimes people misclick and accidnetally close and lock pivot tables, and after that point they are completely useless for adding new information into. There should really be a way to reopen them as this is currently causing an information entry issue at my work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. unsupported features in Office 365

If there are unsupported features when opening an Excel workbook for edit in Office 365, then please inform me what these features are and where to find these in the workbook, instead of 'To edit this in your browser, we will create a copy that doesn't include unsupported features.'
    For instance I get specific information when saving an Office 97 version after editing in Office 2013.
    This helps me to decide what to do: accept (e.g. is only a presentation issue) or somehow make it impossible to edit via Online (e.g. VBA code will get crippled).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. RUNNING TOTALS

Extremely useful. I add and use Running Totals virtually ALL the time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Chat Minimize when in snapped window

Setup:
    Windows 10, Chrome browser.

When I have a window snapped to the left or right of the monitor the Chat option is available, but I am unable to minimize the chat window without first going full screen. When the chat window is open it covers the toolbar.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Let me open shared file in local Excel 2016

Trying to open a shared file with Workbook Sharing activated - can't open because Workbook Sharing isn't supported in Excel online. Give me an option to open in local Excel 2016 license, or to sync the file to my local drive so I can open in local Excel license.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stop Kidding Yourself Microsoft, Office online is a joke.

Said it in the title. Better off when Office was on the desktop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Found a bug - Remove hyperlink, removes all formatting in the cell too! (Justifying, borders, etc.)

When removing the hyperlink from email addresses in cells, all formatting is also removed. Please fix this bug.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change the "Edit Workbook" button in Excel Online to add "Open in Excel as read only"

Excel online is a good tool, but when using my PC on a desk with big screens, I prefer using the native Excel. I often have to consult files that I don't want to change. Adding the option "Open in Excel as read only" would be a great help to me.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Need Clarity on merging cells

Dear Microsoft,

we need clarity on merging cells improve cells merging that very helpfull for us

thanq....

Regard
    mahesh.pomkam@outlook.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow for multi user editing without file locks as with Google Spreadsheet

Generate the baility to multi user edit concurrently on the same file for both Excel online and application. Currently there is no true multi user editing as anytime a file is accessed even with multiple users enabled it still locks the file and cannot be edited by others.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve email notifications for Forms

When selecting email notification in Forms, you should be able to customize the notification email text and also have an option to notify others as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can you create a pop-up notification for when I exceed 5MB before I save/exit?

I don't always have the file size committed to memory when I'm working. I'd like to see a notofication that says, "your file has exceeded 5MB and will no longer be editable online. OK or Cancel" so I have a chance to reduce the size before I close it. I have a file I have been working on and as of right now, I can no longer open it to edit it online because it's too big.

I think if I had known that was the case, I could have deleted some more data I know I won't be needing…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. If you could resize the box you are displaying Excel data to fit the information you want to display.

If you could resize the box you are displaying Excel data to fit the information you want to display.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Embedded File in Team - Read only access to selected team members

It would be great if selected members in team can have read only access to the files and not for editing the embedded file

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please add people tagging feature!!!! For tagging people using @.

Not having this makes Google docs so much better for collaboration. Tag people and create an alert for people tagged to create the viral loop and bring them back into the doc for live collaboration. Little things make a big difference.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Online user to edit PivotTable title fields such as Row and Column Labels

Allowing users to edit Row or Column labels online enables them to be more descriptive when presenting PivotTables. Currently required to "Open in excel" to make a simple edit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base