Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Formula Bar also visible in 'Read Only' Mode in Excel Online

Hello, when viewing files with Excel Online, the Formula Bar is not present in 'Read Only' Mode. In the cases where the cell content (usually a text) in one cell is too long, it is not possible to read the content without increasing the column width. It is not very hard to exceed the column width with some text, and very annoying. The current version makes the sharing of Excel files filled with text impossible to read for the other users. Please fix this by making the Formula Bar also visible in 'Read only Mode' (copy/paste and ctrl+c/x... disabled is…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve msg when trying to freeze panes... "To freeze panes the selected cell has to be in view."

To freeze panes the selected cell has to be in view. What does this mean? (needs clearer explanation)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Change the "Edit Workbook" button in Excel Online to add "Open in Excel as read only"

Excel online is a good tool, but when using my PC on a desk with big screens, I prefer using the native Excel. I often have to consult files that I don't want to change. Adding the option "Open in Excel as read only" would be a great help to me.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pl. Provide BIT MAP OR CLOUD FASCILITY TO PASTE ANY EXEL SHEET ON FRONT PAGE

Earlier we used to have BIT MAP fascility while copy and thae paste.

This is missing in new microsoft

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please enable using Cntrl Button in keyboard to select multiple custom cells. We normally use to use it to check the sum from random cells

In the offline excel, we use Cntrl button and select multiple cells. We do this to view sum of values (below bar) between those cells.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Slidebar for Workbooks with Numerous worksheets

The workbook my group is using right now has 120 tabs at bottom for different worksheets. If the last person to use it left it at tab #28 and I now need to use number 84, I have to click the arrows until I find the tab I need. Please add a slider to navigate through tabs more quickly, like there is in regular, full blown excel. Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Need better looking interface

Things looks too white. More specifically, the scroll bar at the bottom of the page is all white and light gray. Very similar and really hard to see/differentiate where the scroll bar is.Add some darker colors.

Also, having a move/hand tool on the fly -- kind of how Adobe has it across most of its products where by pressing the space-bar and the cursor becomes a move tool. Very handy to navigate through wide pages, rather than using the scroll bars.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ctrl + Scroll Wheel no longer Zooming

Until recently, I was able to use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Excel Online. Since yesterday, this has stopped working.

I can still use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Word Online, which also controls the zoom setting on the Excel Online tab.

This is strange.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel online - auto swith browser to full screen

In the browser version - many less rows are viewable then desktop app due to browser menus etc.

I suggest that when a spreadsheet is opened for editing in browser users given option to switch browser to full-screen mode

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. can we please get working check boxes in excel online

it would be totally awesome if I created a doc in MS Excel and checkboxes showed would show up on the online version.

I manage room rentals and checkboxes are a fast way to manage payment. it looks nice on my desktop, but then I take it to the online veirseon.. they just get cut out. is there a way you could allow them to appear, even if they aren't usable.

Below is my document if you would like to see what i mean

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Move ribbon bar pin and up-caret to the menu bar to make them always visible.

Move the ribbon bar pin and up-caret to the menu bar to make them always visible to the user. Otherwise, the user needs to adjust the browser's zoom level often to see the show/hide ribbon bar view.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. add a search bar to look for something on a sheet

When looking for something on a sheet, would like to type it in a search bar and pull it up by name.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Can not view multiple sheets on mobile phone screen - View Excel Online

I'm trying using Microsoft Online Document with excel file.
    After I created link, this web app generated new link for me, you can see
    https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http://wisdomaxis.com/technology/software/tableau/sample-data/World%20Bank%20Indicators.xlsx

I opened that link with Chrome app on 4 devices : samsung j7, sony z3 verizon, iPhone 6+, and Samsung Tab A. As you can see, 3 first devices just have only the first sheet, while last device (Samsung tab A) can display both 2 sheets, at the bottom navigation.
    I suppose this is not issue with my phone, I guess Excel Online Web app detected screen size of device, then changed the display.

Please…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve filtering

In the desktop version of Excel, clicking one of the column headers will display the filter options. This includes the free text search box which initially gets focus. This makes it very easy for users to click, type and hit enter to filter the data.

Within Excel Online, similar functionality is available but it's much more tucked away. So more clicking and thus time is required to achieve the same result. Our users like the effectiveness of the desktop solution and would like to request a similar approach for Excel Online.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. hide formula bar

hide formula bar option in "View" menu (like offline excel)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Viewing word & excel documents online: being able to copy text WITHOUT having to open the document for editing

See title.
    I do not want to edit the document, I just want to copy some text to use in an email or other document

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. It would be great to see 'Comments' in cells when hovering over them (or with a different gesture) in Excel online.

Currently, 'comments' entered in cells show up when you hover the mouse over them in the Excel desktop application. However, this feature doesn't work in Excel online. Need a way to see cell 'comments' in Excel online as well. Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support Background image for excel worksheet in Excel Online

We have an option to set background image for Excel worksheet using Page Layout > Background. We can add images like confidential, draft copy etc. using this option we can show the image on every page on excel worksheet.

This option works fine in Excel desktop application. However, in Excel Online, it says this feature is not supported.

Even in SharePoint Excel Web access web part also the background image is not showing up.

It would be nice if this feature is enabled in Excel Online/SharePoint Web Access web part too.

Alternate options for background option would be setting up…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base