Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. While copying and paste excel sheet on online sheet, formulas are not reflecting in online sheet

While copying and paste excel sheet on online sheet, formulas are not reflecting in online sheet

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Row based Date stamp function capturing when data is changed in that row.

Provide an Excel function that date stamps a row when any change is made to data in that row (other than the date stamp column). This is exceptionally useful when maintaining membership data, inventory records etc.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to merge worksheet. Query function, consolidate or macro are available

We need the ability to merge data from several months into one consolidated sheet and be sorted correctly. Before the company changed from Google sheets we did this with a SQL query.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. CELL function added to online

In the desktop version of excel,

=MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1))+1,255)

is the only way to find the current sheet name. On Excel Online, the function CELL does not work.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Displaying of Formulas in Excel 2016 365

I have Excel 2013 on desktop & Excel 2016 365 online (through my school). I also have an Ultrabook Ideapad laptop by Lenovo. My function keys on laptop do not work with Excel. I treid MANY suggestions.

I needed to display all the formulas in my workbook in Excel for a class assignment & it has to be saved in 2016 Excel. Problem is the function keys dont work & there is no formulas menu in 365. So I thought Id display the formulas in Excel 2013 & import into 2016...it complained & said it couldnt do it! Its so…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Larger Workbook Capacity and Sheet finder facility

Please increase the allowable size of the work book in the browser so it can accomodate large work Sheets with a lot of tabs

Also not being able to right-click in the Sheet Finder in the Browser version of Excel is particularly annoying and inconvenient and should be fixed ASAP

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Is there anyway to preserve information for a #REF! reference to assist resolution?

Is there anyway to preserve information for a #REF! reference to assist resolution? For example, if column CustID has gone missing due to a modification of an underlying SQL statement, so that the column is now named CustomerID, it would be so easy to adjust formulas relying on CustID if the bad reference would display as #REF![@[CustID]]. (Or something similar.) Seeing this, I'd immediately realize OK, I need to adjust to the new column, CustomerID. Without this information though, I need to do some detective work to figure out what the bad formula is supposed to be doing. In some…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Array Formulas should be able to be calculated in Excel online.

Array Formulas should be able to be calculated online.

To recreate the Query function in Google Sheets requires the following formula in Excel:
    {=IFERROR(INDEX('General Ledger'!E$2:E$1000,SMALL(IF('General Ledger'!$C$2:$C$1000='102'!$B$1,ROW('General Ledger'!E$2:E$1000)-ROW('General Ledger'!E$2)+1),ROWS('General Ledger'!E$2:'General Ledger'!E2))),"")}

Already quite cumbersome when compared to Google Sheets:
    =QUERY('General Ledger'!A2:H , "Select A, B , E, F, G, H Where C =" & B1)

But when it doesn't even calculate in Excel online it's pointless as a Google Sheets replacement! I'm trying to build a basic accounting spreadsheet that can be used online that integrates with other online features I'm building.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Simple -- make it do everything regular excel can do. I am going back to google sheets until you do.

make it do everything regular excel can do. why is it a stripped down version????? Doesn't work for my office. Thought this would be an improvement over google sheets but they are waaaaaaay ahead of you guys at this point

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically calculate as cell values are changed

Currently we have multiple workbooks with sheets that reference each other, or on occasion, other workbooks (all are saved in Sharepoint Online libraries or, more rarely, OneDrive Online). Being forced to click Data>Calculate Workbook every time I update something is frustrating in a finance/accounting role.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Give more information/help on merged cells in a table

Excel Track my tasks seems to be a table and therefore there are functions that don't work like merge cells and center, and moving multiple rows from one area of the worksheet to another area in the same worksheet. The error message doesn't explain how to overcome this. Is it possible to make this template just columns without it being a table? More help this error would be useful, specifically how to rectify it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Set range name & restrict to some specific user for edit

I have been using Google sheets and that gives the option to set range names and restrict each range with some specific shared user so that no other user could edit the range data. This feature does exists in MS Excel but Excelonline does not have the option to set range name and to restrict it. This seems very disappointing as I have to share sheets among multiple users with 'user allowed only' ranges & I am unable to convert my online sheets from Google to Microsoft. I am looking for this feature as I am using my Microsoft account…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Copy conditional formatting formulae

When using a formulae with row cell references in a conditional format copying the cell's format down should adjust the conditional formatting formulae's cell references accordingly to use the new row's cells unless I have the $ symbol.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. View Formula on a locked/checked in document without needing to check it out

You are currently unable to see formula in the browser without entering edit mode.
    With version control enabled you must check a document out to enter Edit mode. this is awfully cumbersome when all you want to do is VIEW formula rather than edit the document

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. F2 button on EXCEL Online

When the F2 key is pressed, the fields in the formula should show in the individual cells as they do on the PC version of EXCEL

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Highlight fields in Excel Online when modifying a formula! (Google sheets does that!)

Highlight fields in Excel Online when modifying a formula!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to sum up individual custom cells the way it was possible in 2011...Please change it back to easier older method

Ability to sum up individual custom cells the way it was possible in 2011...Please change it back to easier older method.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base