Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Inform me when a shared workbook becomes available

If someone has a shared workbook checked out, I cannot edit it, so I get a message telling me this. It would be helpful if a notification was made when it became available. Even better would be to know who has it checked out so that I can contact them

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Kicking People out of Excel Online

I would like a way to be able to kick people out of Excel Online so that I can easily edit the workbook in regular Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Coauthoring in Excel Desktop Client at the same time

Be able to coauthor with other people even if the excel file is open on desktop and or online. It is very vital that we can coauthor on a single file may it be online or desktop version so that we can work together faster and more seamless

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SEE THE LOCKING PERSON IN ONLINE SHARING

WHEN SOMEONE USES THE EXCEL VERSION FOR A SHARED DOCUMENT (INSTEAD OF THE ONLINE EXCEL VERSION), WHY DON'T WE SEE THE NAME OF THE LOCKING GROUP-MEMBER? SO THAT WE CAN WARN THEM ?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please, create the option to protect sheets and to know who made changes.

So we can protect what the people who we share with can edit

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please create option to receive notifications anytime a spreadsheet was edited. I see this currently for folders but not for individual spre

Please create option to receive notifications anytime a spreadsheet was edited. I see this currently for folders but not for individual spreadsheets (Google has this feature and it is tremendously helpful). Also a running revision history would be helpful to show all persons who edited the sheet, then when you click on that person's revision, it highlights where they made the revisions (also another feature that Google docs has).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "lock-out" feature

Good Morning –

I have an excel document that several people access online. When someone opens it locally, it locks everyone out, as you know. I experience this problem periodically; If I open it locally, but then save and close out, it continues to give me the error message when I try to re-open online, even though the local version has been closed. Since Excel Online has some limitations, it is necessary to open the local version at times, but it really jams us up by locking us out. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Emily

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please add a time stamp to the chat window

Add a timestamp to the chat window

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Show who has a document open

When using Excel Online, it would be great to see who has the spreadsheet open so you can notify them to close it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow config to block Online editing.

Excel Online does not support many (complex) Excel features that I may rely on to retain integrity of the data in my workbook. So I want to stop people from editing online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add the ability to see who has a file open in Excel rather than the Browser

Add the ability to see who has a file open in Excel rather than the Browser so that person can be contacted. Many time staff will have a shared document open in Excel and others will nto be able to edit the document.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add option to share with different organizations

We need to share live info with different organizations outside the our company instead of sending email attachments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base