Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add a time stamp to the chat window

Add a timestamp to the chat window

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show who has a document open

When using Excel Online, it would be great to see who has the spreadsheet open so you can notify them to close it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow config to block Online editing.

Excel Online does not support many (complex) Excel features that I may rely on to retain integrity of the data in my workbook. So I want to stop people from editing online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add the ability to see who has a file open in Excel rather than the Browser

Add the ability to see who has a file open in Excel rather than the Browser so that person can be contacted. Many time staff will have a shared document open in Excel and others will nto be able to edit the document.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add option to share with different organizations

We need to share live info with different organizations outside the our company instead of sending email attachments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. subset Excel Template for online updates & sharing of information

Using the Sharepoint excel and excel's powerful spreadsheet concept as the base for collaboration, have an idea that can bring a focused and goal oriented approach.
    Subset of excel is that excel does not show many rows and columns and menus, it will focus and change the layout based on the template and provide only workflow buttons, tabbed menus, and sections, for workflow
    1. Create an Excel template that contains forms for workflow
    2. the forms can be updated by different members
    3. approvers and reviewers along with admin of the forms can perform action
    4. finally the workflow can…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add option to dowload a shared file

Give option to users to download a shared filed

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When I document is locked I'd like to be able to make changes but not save the document, like you can when you open a document read only

When I document is locked I'd like to be able to make changes but not save the document, like you can when you open a document read only

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. share onedrive file link in Microsoft Teams

MS Teams allows us to upload a file or share from sharepoint. Instead of upload file from users system. Can a link to user's file on OneDrive be added to channel and set to tab if wanted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When embedded, prevent users accessing the entire workbook by "view full size" or "information..." icons

The options on the pan below the embedded worksheet provide indirect access to users to download the entire file. This capabilities should be subject to owners desire.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Copy Paste is horrendous / Undermines Collaboration

The copy and paste of data between excel workbooks online as well as other sources to the web browser is just a mess.

Our company has tested with different computers and different environments only to find that data doesnt get copied as it should work.

If you copy and paste fast data from within the same sheet in excel online the cursor lags and jumps backwards. We have tested this on Fibre , ADSL, 3G, 4G, LTE, HSDPA using multiple providers.

The scary thing is that Google sheets copy and paste perfectly.

This undermines collaboration greatly in excel online and…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add the ability to notify by e-mail any change...

that will enable the possibility to use the excel files for collaborative purposes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. More agile sharing options

1 - I need to let a collaborator view / edit a only certain range of a spredsheet

2 - the same for a filter view mode. I need to let a collaborator to view / edit only a few rows of a tabe, that I select using filters

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Share the same file in different folders

The ability to choose a file (or folder) and share it in multiple folders. Users in Folder A could have edit rights. Users in Folder B could have view rights.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base