Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. locked file

Locked file - Provide for multi-user realtime editing or enable online editting only except by owners/authors.

At minimum, provide a way for file owner/author to remedy or remove the locked file user.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve large workbook compatibility and reliability with Excel Online for Coauthors

I would like to request that more development of large multi co authored files be done to improve reliability, functionality and editing. Where files are heavily used and regularly hit the 500 version limit, issues come through with blocky jittery scrolling, loss of data entered in fields, slow loading, non saving etc.... Please fix these issues to make excel online a real beneficial tool.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Currently it is not possible to filter the lines with an option to leave the sheet unfiltered for the users. This would improve excel a lot.

Currently it is not possible to filter the lines with an option to leave the sheet unfiltered for the users. This would improve excel a lot and would enable more convenient cooperation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please include chat like Google Docs has so you can talk to someone editing the spreadsheet

I would like to chat with the person who is working with me on the spreadsheet without messing up anything inside of the actual spreadsheet. Please include a "Chat with Users" feature, where you can select from the people editing the spreadsheet and start a chat.
    Thank you (and great job on Excel Online)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Display the user who has the Excel sheet checked out

There is currently no way to determine who has the Excel sheet locked / checked out. How does one determine who to talk to in order to allow the rest of the users access to the file?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. please let me know who has the excel sheet checked out instead of just telling me it is checked out.

please let me know who has the excel sheet checked out instead of just telling me it is checked out.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Do not lock Excel Online files ever

Do not lock Excel Online files ever! No online file should get locked especially if users are using 2013 or higher Excel.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Support for XLTX Template File Format

It would be useful to be able to use XLTX Template File Format also in Excel Online. Some Templates from the Office.com Template Gallery support the "Edit in Browser"-Option, so it seems that basically the "template functionality" exists also in Excel Online. But - as far as I know - it is not possible to use my own template files (*.xltx) to distribute e.g. a data entry excel sheet which should be duplicated automatically after opening the file in excel online.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When editing online show the user that has the sheet locked.

When editing online show the user that has the sheet locked.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. List of access users

An overview who has access to the document, where you can add/remove users ad see who has been viewing/editing at what time

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Highlight cells

Highlight or border around cells that an individual is on to show were they are in the sheet when sharing an excel sheet with others

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Give Excel Online a third mode "Data Entry" (without saving the data into the file)

With our Javascript Add-In "data.io" - you`ll find it in the Office Store / AppSource - we could use ONE Excel File in Excel Online as a single "data entry file" for 1000s of users within the same data collection / planning process.

Unfortunately this doesnt work due to several reasons:
    1. For this purpose it would be perfect to do the data entry in "View Mode" and not in "Edit Mode" (since we don
    t want to save any data in the excel file itself).It would be a third mode "Data Entry Mode" since now it is not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Email notification -

it would be great to have the "option" to receive an email notification if someone has updated the excel sheet

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Someone else has this workbook locked

I was trying to edit shared excel online and i received message like "Someone else has this workbook locked" now how i should notify "Someone" Please replace "Someone" with the username who has opened this workbook so another one can actually notify him to close.
    If its a privacy issue then Admin should notify about same.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. allow the ability to notify or lock when someone tries to filter sort

when collaborating on an Excel document if someone applies a filter when i am editing the filter applies to my view and disrupts editing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please give file administrators the ability to remove someone from editing a file in realtime

Allow the file administrator to select people currently editing the file and remove them from editing in realtime. It's highly irritating to not be able to lock down a file or edit it in Excel because you can't reach someone who is editing your file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dropbox collaborate

For excel files that are opened through Dropbox , please add collaboration support for them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Disable chat / Fix chat

My team needs to communicate while working (We're in different buildings) and we were happy to find Excel Online had a chat box. The problem is it's completely buggy. One moment you're writing in the chat box the next you're writing in a cell that had data on it. The problem seems to happen when someone starts editing a cell or when someone sends their chat before you're done typing. I couldn't find a way to disable it. (Maybe there is a way but it's not easy to find.) We've taken to using Skype for Business but it would be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Let me know who has the file locked so I can ask them to unlock it.

Let me know who has the file locked so I can ask them to unlock it.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Would like to be able to create labels and merge documents

Should be able to create labels and merge documents from excel or even an addess list creared in word

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base