Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Maintain hidden rows/columns in "sheet view" so other users are not affected by the change

Sheets view offers a private view of the Excel sheet when sorted or filtered, another common change is hiding rows/columns but that currently affects all users when sharing document.

Allow for row/column views to remain private in Sheet View so others are not affects.

465 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

54 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. @mention for guest users

It would be much better if guest/external users can be @mentioned - at the moment it's just people within your own org. No good for collaborating with clients!!!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please enable protect cells feature in online excel

Currently, online excel doesn't have the feature to protect cells. This feature comes very handy during collaborations. Please enable this feature, even google spreadsheet has this feature.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow use of the old comment functionality on Excel Online

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    Excel Online で従来のコメントを利用できるようにしてほしい
    Allow use of the old comment functionality on Excel Online

■Description(内容):
    この度、Excel のコメント機能が新しくなり、Microsoft 365 の Excel であれば、クライアント上で新しいコメントと従来のコメント (現在のメモ機能) が両方利用できるが、Excel Online では新しいコメント機能しか利用ができない。
    Excel Online でも従来のコメントを利用できる方法を希望します。

The comment function on Excel was updated recently, and in the Microsoft 365 client version of Excel, you can use both the new and old (now notes) versions of the function, but you can’t do this on Excel Online.
    Please add this to Excel Online.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enhanced Excel online collaboration experience & efficiency

Hi Team

To enhance online collaboration, improve experience & efficiency, I suggest:

1. Allow a mirror copy of the file to be downloaded on the the individual user's desktop, let them work as if working with a stand-alone file, including custom filters, sorting - each used be allowed to filter as per their requirement, update cell range as per their requirement and excel automatically updates relevant data range on the actual file online

2. Excel files, no matter what their size, must open and close faster than it currently does, stop from hanging midway in middle of an operation/s

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When use in Sharepoint, with microsoft 365, get full report log about use, like

have a complete report of use, such as deletion of comments etc ... at the administrator level.
    i use Sharepoint and have a lot files. i need more and better , most complete log.

I don't want a user to be able to delete a comment
    thanks

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Function to check history of users editing in Excel Online

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    Excel Online 編集ユーザーの履歴を確認できる機能の実装
    Function to check history of users editing in Excel Online

■Description(内容):
    Excel Online 編集ユーザーの履歴を確認できる機能の実装を希望

Please add a function to check history of users editing in Excel Online.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Fuzzy Lookup Add-in to the Office Store

The Excel Add-in was developed by the Microsoft research team and is available for download in the Microsoft Download center for installation to the desktop Excel version. However, this add-in is not available in Microsoft 365 apps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. get an external URL for a specific cell in an Excel file

In Teams have the ability to get an external URL for a specific cell rather than just the entire excel file. Oftentimes we are trying to point staff to a particular sheet within the file and a cell within that sheet rather than just go to the file and then have to find it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sharing only one Sheet from the Excel file where Person can see his data

One sheet is having data from the entire team. The other one is having formulated sheet where the person can see his data or any chart I have entered.

Unique Key will be the email id that is available in the datasheet.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Protect Range/Sheet, Collaboration Range/Sheet, Tracking history of workbook

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Besides that, in comparison, Microsoft Excel Online doesn't have advanced features in the Google Sheets. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Protecting features only works in desktop version (not work online)

~ Microsoft Excel Only cannot protect sheets, but Google Sheets can protect sheets or ranges. Therefore, many users can collaborate together with high security in range/ranges, same sheet/sheets in a common workbook.

~ and so many advanced other feature in Google Sheets doesn't appear in Microsoft Excel

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Assign Outlook contact from data validation

Be able to mention a contact directly in the sheet instead of in a comment, so you can list them in data validation and assign tasks from your Excel sheet without having to create a comment each time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. prevent users applying filters for all - force sheet view only

Can you prevent users accidentally applying filters that everyone sees in Excel online? Essentially force filters to be in 'Sheet View'. This is particularly useful in large collaborative documents with multiple simultaneous users inputting different data

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. URL to saved sheet view (filter)

This is available on google sheets and is incredibly useful. You can link directly to a sheet view so someone can click on a link and not only get to the excel workbook online .. but have it sort and filter automatically.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Workbook Links Excel 365 on the web

Dear All,

I am user of Excel 365 web. I would like to connect (link) two excel files, both files are in my OneDrive. I would like to do this in Excel 365 web. I tried this procedure:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-brings-support-for-external-workbook-links-to-excel-on-the-web/

But it doesn't work.

Karol

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Request edit access

Allow users to request edit access to documents that have been shared in read-only mode.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. shared worksheet should have detailed history just like gmail.

shared worksheet should have detailed history just like gmail.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow me to see who changed Excel cell

In google sheets I can see who changed each cell. Why can I not do that in the microsoft equivalent product: Office365 Sheets? Contact me

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Be notified and others when a change happens to a cell in a LIVE excel sheet

Notification system to a CELL in a Live excel sheet

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base