Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unable to exit Excel and go back to my folder after editing using web.

After update the changes in my report I was not able to see any buttons saying "Go Back" or "Exit Excel and go back to your folder"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You should be able to navigate from your Excel file back to the folder that it is contained in by clicking on the link in the upper left corner of the black bar at the top of Excel Online.

Generally, that will have the name of your O365 site, or will say “OneDrive” if you are in onedrive.com. It’s just to the right of the Excel Online header that is in green.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

2. Support the SUMIFS function in Excel Online

It looks like Excel online doesn't support SUMIFS fx. When I upload a working copy it stops working when opening online and also when downloading. Could you add/fix please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Max,

SUMIFS is already supported in Excel Online, as long as your file is stored in OneDrive.com or in your OneDrive for Business.

If it’s still not working for you, please post a link to a workbook that’s not working and we’ll be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. Add ability to move rows up or down

Right now you cannot move a row up or down, there isn't an option to do so in the Excel online editor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is supported today in Excel Online. To move a row, do the following:

1. Click on the row Header (“3” for instance) to select the entire row
    2. Hover the mouse over the selection border, until it turns into a 4-pointed arrow.
    3. Click and hold to “grab” the row, and drag it up/down. You’ll see the tooltip update to tell you where you’re going to drop it.

Note: this works with multiple rows as well.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

4. Auto complete on cells with list data validation

When list data validation is activated for a cell, you should be able to select the value using auto complete. Eg. Entering "a" should automatically populate the selection list only with the values containing "a". This feature can be observed in Google sheets where it dramatically improves the ergonomic and efficiency of selecting a value that is validated via a list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  World Readiness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi blu33lf,

This functionality is already supported in Excel Online (via OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, DropBox, etc.)

If you’re not seeing this work, can you please share a bit about where your file is stored, and the behavior you are seeing Posting a video would be even better!

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

5. Command+Option+Return on a Mac does not work

Command+Option+Return on a Mac does not work and allow you to have a line break in a cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to change Row Height

Please add this capability -- on Excel for Mac it is Format -> Row -> Height. This allows the user to select multiple rows and define a standard height. It's needed in Excel Online because by default the rows appear much larger than in standard Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. Select the rows you want to change the height on, and then just drag the borders between the row headers until you get the size you want.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

7. Excel Sheet generated from survey should auto update when new responses so others it is shared with can see updates without owner needed to

I have created a survey form and shared the resulting excel sheet with a colleague. BUT, unless I login and open the file, the new responses to the survey don't auto sync and the person I shared with can't make it sync even when the excel file is opened by them. Only the owner can sync. Any new responses should auto populate in the sheet without any need to sync, like Google forms do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As long as you open the file that contains the Survey results in Excel Online, and as long as you are in Edit mode (not view mode) for the file, you will see the responses for the survey as they are added to the spreadsheet.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel Online already supports editing of files in the web browser. On the top menu bar, you may need to click “Edit Workbook” in order to get into edit mode, depending on how you opened the workbook.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

9. i would like the ability for the excel file on my computer to automatically update the one on onedrive and viice versa

i shared a a file with my boss she made some edits i opened the file on my computer thinking i might see those edits but it turned out i had to go to one drive and download the file with the new edits rather than it updating autmatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The ability to Ctrl C a cell to Ctrl V in another cell (Copy paste) on excel

The ability to Ctrl C a cell to Ctrl V into another cell (Copy paste) on excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For browsers that support keyboard clipboard access, this is already supported today (current versions of Edge, Chrome, etc. should support it). I believe that the first time you press Ctrl+C, IE might prompt to allow clipboard access, but then it works there too.

What browser are you using?

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

11. Please add filters when viewing an online file without having to open in excel or save a view only copy

It would be very useful when viewing an online file to be able to set up a filter without having to save the file or check it out, then close down without any changes being made to the file

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. web scrapping

It is a online tool, so it must be able to take advantage of extracting data from websites. Let say, I search for a query in bing. so I want all those links in excel. It can done at multiple places including Amazon, Reddit, YoutTube, Outlook etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Sketch,

There are a few ways to do this in Excel.

There were two options on the Data ribbon – you can use “From Web” and you can also use the Web connector in “Get & Transform.”

There is a third option – using functions – try the WEBSERVICE and FILTERXML functions, if you want to parse the results manually.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

13. Will Excel Online find a way to show how many people are working within the spreadsheet - kind of like Google Spreadsheet?

Will Excel Online find a way to show how many people are working within the spreadsheet - kind of like Google Spreadsheet? Using different colors and showing the names of the individual working within a cell? Maybe I have something turned off, but I can't see anyone i've shared the workbook with or what cell they are currently working in...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported in Excel Online. When others are editing a spreadsheet at the same time you are, you should see a people picker appear in the top right corner, which will list each editor, along with a color. That color indicates the “presence” color for that person in the workbook, and will show you where in the workbook that person is editing.

For pictures of how this works, please see this blog post:

https://blogs.office.com/2013/11/06/weve-updated-excel-web-app-whats-new-in-november-2013/

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

14. Allow multiple users to edit simultaneously in Excel Online (coauth co-auth)

Multiple people should be able to edit an excel document.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

If all the users are using Excel Online, they can all edit the file without locking each other out, today.

If you are wanting other Excel versions (Windows Desktop, etc.) to also participate in coauthoring, please vote for the respective idea on those areas of UserVoice (the ideas exist already – search for “coauth”)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

15. Please add Filtering and fix sorting as able to choose we want to sort.

I tried to sort and ruined the information that we already had in the spreadsheet. If there was Filtering I could have avoided destroying two weeks of work.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Wannita,

Both Sorting and Filtering are already supported in Excel Online. Can you be a bit more specific into the issue you ran into?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

16. open .xlsm file

I store excel file in .xlsm format into cloud but I can not open it on line
    can you fix this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Omar,

XLSM files are supported in Excel Online (they open and you can edit them).

What you might be running into is that the VBA in XLSM files does not run in Excel Online. There’s another UserVoice idea to support that VBA which you can vote for, but we don’t currently have plans to add that functionality – instead we recommend using Web Add-In’s and the JavaScript APIs.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

17. Print a sheet without a link at the bottom of sheet

Whenever I try to print from Excel online there always a link at the bottom of the sheet please remove it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Star Shared Documents

It would be good to "Star" a document that is shared with you so that when you later come to OneDrive to find that document you can easily view the "Starred" documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported. In OneDrive, in the left navigation bar, click on “Shared” to see files that you’ve shared or that others have shared with you.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

19. Make Excel Online able to create a back up copy and update it every 5 minutes or so

Excel Online should be able to create a back up copy in case of bad internet connection. It should also be self updated regularly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news – this is already supported, and is called “AutoSave.” Excel Online automatically saves changes that you make every ~30 seconds or so, so you shouldn’t lose data if you have a bad internet connection.

Also, “versions” are created as well, which you can get to by selecting the file in OneDrive and looking at the Version History.

Hope that helps,
    -Dan [MS]

20. Recognise European Date format as input (dd/mm/yyyy)

To show a date in dd/mm/yyyy format you first have to change the date formatting, but then Excel itself ONLY recognises dates input in US-style, where it THEN converts to Euro-style. Please modify Excel to recognise dates INPUT in dd/mm/yyyy format.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Alex,

Excel Online supports dates input in different formats, including dd/mm/yyyy, but the way you control that input format is a bit “obscure” in that it’s inherited from your Microsoft Account Profile, and is based on the date format of the country you have listed there.

To change the setting on your Microsoft Account (perhaps from US English to a European locale):

1. Click on your picture on the top-right (or the grey avatar if you don’t have one)
    2. Click on “your info”
    3. Click on “edit your personal info”
    4. ick the country with the desired locale you’d like to see in Excel.
    5. Restart your web browser and open a spreadsheet in Excel Online

…now your dates should be parsed in the format of the country/locale you chose.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base