Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide an option to disable Excel Online and default to desktop version

Excel Online continues to disappoint new users and is hampering adoption of both SharePoint and Teams. Even if the library and site collection are set to "Open in client application", every Excel file that isn’t opened directly form the library in SharePoint or files tab in Teams, opens in the garbage online version, then has to be change to desktop, then user has to close the useless window of the online version.

There is no option to open in the desktop version for a file attached to a planner task embedded in Teams, so then it is either jump through…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please show these features in the browser: • Objects like form toolbar controls, toolbox controls, and ActiveX controls.

Please show these features in the browser:

• Objects like form toolbar controls, toolbox controls, and ActiveX controls.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Developer Options Custom Ribbons

custom Ribbons on excel online, can't access developer options. cant develop excel sheet, need to build custom Spread sheets

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use Office templates in new sheets instead of creating new workbooks each time

It would be great to be able to use the templates for a new sheet on an existing workbook instead of always having to create a new workbook. I like to use the budget template for each month but instead of being able to place it in the same workbook just different sheets I have to create a new workbook for each month to use the budget template.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Hide/Show Rows and Columns Method to Excel API

Add a method to the Excel API to Hide and Show a range of Rows or Columns

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. print background colours for cells

Print cell background colours, they show in the printer friendly view but do not print. I use conditional formatting for a lot of my reports and it is frustrating that printing these through excel online reverts to black and whit

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Integrate Office Online Server with SSRS

Integrate OOS with SSRS in native mode to allow publishing Excel reports and Power Pivot models to SSRS 2016.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. format cells option on right click

Format cells option should be available on right click with another pop up window that comes up where you can select the format and the alignment. Just like in the desktop version. This is a function I use quite often and would be nice to have online too.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. excel survey - collect identity and some themes

Some requests for the Excel Survey tool
    1) automatically collect identity (if user logged in) and add option to only collect one response per logged-in user. The identity will be written to one of the columns but add option to decide whether the identity should be shown. Maybe we want an anonymous survey with only one response per person.

2) actually that suggests a second request - add an option to force the login so this can't be submitted anonymously

3) add some themes, color, icons, graphics. Quick stuff - which will allow competition with google forms.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Function in chosen language, not according to location

I use Excel and other Office web apps in English, however my locale is set up as Czech Republic which I would like to keep because changing account to a different locale that uses English means changing timezone etc.

My request is that functions language would either be based on selected language or there will be an option to select language specifically for functions.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  World Readiness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Access On-Premise cube from Excel Online

We are interested in creating Analytical reports (pivot tables with slicers) with Excel and host in Excel Online against our On-Premise MOLAP and/or Tabular Analysis Services cubes. Looks like to do this with Excel Online, a powerpivot model would need to be in the Excel Workbook. We'd like to create several Analytical reports against the same cube On-Premise (or access a common Power BI dataset).

Today we have Analysis services MOLAP and Tabular models hooked to Analytical reports hosted in Sharepoint 2013 On-Premise. Users can slicer/dice and drilldown.

We are looking for this same functionality in Excel Online. Many of…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Share specific cells on specific sheets with Office 365 users

I have a user who has created a Spreadsheet with 25 tabs. She would like to share this with 25 Office 365 users (Online only - no domain). She wants each user to have view rights over the entire workbook, but have edit rights to a specific range of cells on that users tab.

It looks like you can do this on a traditional network with a domain, but when saved to her OneDrive or to SharePoint, the sharing option doesn't connect with Office 365 - It is still looking for a traditional domain\Username to share with (See http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/118905/lock-cells-to-certain-people-but-give-access-to-others-in-a-live-excel-online-wo)

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need a save button. Or if auto-save is always on, need a way to discard all changes. But better would be a Save button.

Don't like auto-save. Would like to only save the document when I choose to do so.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow the option to select multiple choices.

I want to be able to create a question that will allow the user to select multiple choices from a drop-down list rather than one. It is very cumbersome to create multiple drop-down lists for the user to choose from.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Be able to open excel files online even if it is with unsupported feature.

• Should let us know which particular thing that sets off the unsupported prompt

• Even if there are unsupported features inside the file we should be able to open the file ignoring the unsupported or opening it by creating a copy without the unsupported feature

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. allow full use of excel features on the online version.

The one drive excel does not have the full features of excel and so I cant use it for my Intro to excel class which is frustrating. Please allow the full version from Online.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make all funnctions available. i.e. Power Pivot, Power View, Power Maps, and Power Query.

Student using Excel need the Power features such as Power pivot, Power View, and Power Query

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. trendline for scatter graph

This may just be a crazy thought but shouldn't the online version do what the regular version of excel does? Or maybe just the bare ******* minimum? I can't add a trend line to a scatter plot??

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. give me back the choice of color gradients!!!!!!!!!

I have used different colors to denote different schools - now my color choices are gone, and there are not enough of the "standard colors" to identify my caseload. HELP!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base