Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Full Collaboration Only (Prevent File Locking)

This idea is all over this forum for a very long time in different wordings. Clearly this is a huge issue.

MS, PLEASE add an option for files stored on Share Point and One Drive to "Only allow editing in full collaboration mode". This would mean a file would only be editable in the desktop version of Excel if the user is running 2016 and properly signed in to their Office365 account within Excel, thereby preventing file locking for other users.

If not the solution above, at LEAST allow us to set a file to "Edit in Excel Online Only".

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve filtering

In the desktop version of Excel, clicking one of the column headers will display the filter options. This includes the free text search box which initially gets focus. This makes it very easy for users to click, type and hit enter to filter the data.

Within Excel Online, similar functionality is available but it's much more tucked away. So more clicking and thus time is required to achieve the same result. Our users like the effectiveness of the desktop solution and would like to request a similar approach for Excel Online.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ctrl-Y should redo (repeat) Insert Row, same as in Excel

Ctrl-Y should redo (repeat) Insert Row, same as in Excel

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Query and Refresh warning

I would like to have the ability to trust data sources.
    So that a user does not get the 'Query and Refresh Data' warning each he opens a report and refreshes all connections.

This should be a setting for site collection administrators or tenant administrators.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multi user filtering without changing view of other users

Generate the ability for multiple users to edit documents in Excel online and application where the users can filter for their screen only. This would allow for greater collaboration as multiple pieces of a project can be worked on in the same document without each users view being altered by one users filter.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create and edit custom Conditional Formatting rules

It would be really nice if we could create and edit custom rules for Conditional Formatting in Excel Online, similar to how we can in the Desktop version of Excel.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  excelonlineteam responded

Thank you all for your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. We are now in the planning stages to support to edit and customize Conditional formatting rules in Excel for the web.

‘Manage Rules’ is already supported and can be found in the ‘Home’ tab > open Conditional Formatting menu > click on Manage Rules button

Thank you!

8. form controls

Form controls for dynamic charts: #1 spinner control, #2 slider/scroll control. Adding form controls to spreadsheets online would practically close the gap to share analysis / scenario spreadsheets. Please add the spinner control (first priority) and secondly the slider / scroll

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion and votes for Form Controls. There is currently no planned work for this as we are focusing on other feature areas. We will continue to accept votes on this and will notify you if our plans are updated.

Thank you!
    Auston, [MSFT]

9. Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Password-protected Excel Workbooks on OneDrive

Password protected spreadsheets do not allow them to be opened again on One Drive. No prompt to enter password...

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Refresh PowerPivot Data in O365 Excel from External Source

It is frustrating to me that external data refresh is supported in Excel Services in SharePoint but is not supported in Office 365. It is frustrating that to work with any external data you must open the workbook in the desktop client.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  Anonymous responded

Did you know that you can actually refresh workbooks in Office 365 when you publish them on PowerBI? Try it out at www.powerbi.com

Is that what you were looking for?

If you have specific external sources that you are missing, please provide more specific information

13. Allow cross sheet cell data and formulae

Use data in between sheets, using formula's etc

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support Background image for excel worksheet in Excel Online

We have an option to set background image for Excel worksheet using Page Layout > Background. We can add images like confidential, draft copy etc. using this option we can show the image on every page on excel worksheet.

This option works fine in Excel desktop application. However, in Excel Online, it says this feature is not supported.

Even in SharePoint Excel Web access web part also the background image is not showing up.

It would be nice if this feature is enabled in Excel Online/SharePoint Web Access web part too.

Alternate options for background option would be setting up…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to filter column by colour

I can currently filter a column by text, would be nice to be able to filter a column by colour from the drop down. Thanks

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel Online and Mobile Devices

I am writing to request that Excel Online be made to fit a screen on a mobile device from the web browser on said device. I like using Excel Online, however I own an iPhone and I since I like to have first party apps I have Apple's Numbers app installed but not Excel. I only request this because from my iPhone, I cannot access Excel Online to edit an existing document I may have stored on my OneDrive. My thinking is, what if I needed to update, by editing, a document someone sends me with a Excel file format…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hotkey for Paste Value\Paste formatting

Please add hotkeys for Paste Value\Paste formatting commands

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Word Wrap By Default for all cells

Word wrap is not enabled by default. Usually we have to enable it one column at a time or cell at a time. Can we have it enabled by default ? (Option to disable can be there)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Freeze first row in Excel by default

In most spreadsheets the first row is usually headings. Can we have that row frozen by default (of course have undo allowed).
    Save everyone across the world the time to freeze that top row !
    Those that want column and row freeze options can do it manually.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Customisable formula bar size. The ability to scroll within the formula bar

Enable formula bar size adjustment. Add reliable scroll function within formula bar. Tap cursor back or forward to allow cursor movement between characters in formula bar.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base