Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Query and Refresh warning

I would like to have the ability to trust data sources.
    So that a user does not get the 'Query and Refresh Data' warning each he opens a report and refreshes all connections.

This should be a setting for site collection administrators or tenant administrators.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel tabs

Excel tabs in teams keep jumping around it would be great to be able to lock the tab order in place.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Table Name

I think Excel online can customize table name

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Full Collaboration Only (Prevent File Locking)

This idea is all over this forum for a very long time in different wordings. Clearly this is a huge issue.

MS, PLEASE add an option for files stored on Share Point and One Drive to "Only allow editing in full collaboration mode". This would mean a file would only be editable in the desktop version of Excel if the user is running 2016 and properly signed in to their Office365 account within Excel, thereby preventing file locking for other users.

If not the solution above, at LEAST allow us to set a file to "Edit in Excel Online Only".

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. dark theme support for spread sheet and menu

Dark theme for both spread sheets and menu will be very beneficial to protect our eyes as well as save laptop batteries. Just for printing you may have to reverse the colors to normal mode.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multi user filtering without changing view of other users

Generate the ability for multiple users to edit documents in Excel online and application where the users can filter for their screen only. This would allow for greater collaboration as multiple pieces of a project can be worked on in the same document without each users view being altered by one users filter.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please add "Saved" feature on Excel online

Hi Microsoft,
    Excel online is great tool to maintain my productivity at public computers as I stored all my files under Onedrive.
    But, whenever I edit a doc/xls, I am unsure that my editing is saved. Sometimes and at many locations, I have very poor network connection.
    You have added "Saved" feature in Excel preview for windows 10. Can you please add it to Excel online as well? Thanks

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create and edit custom Conditional Formatting rules

It would be really nice if we could create and edit custom rules for Conditional Formatting in Excel Online, similar to how we can in the Desktop version of Excel.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. We are now in the planning stages to support to edit and customize Conditional formatting rules in Excel for the web.

‘Manage Rules’ is already supported and can be found in the ‘Home’ tab > open Conditional Formatting menu > click on Manage Rules button

Thank you!

10. Add option not to allow "view full size workbook" on embed code

Add option not to allow "view full size workbook" on embed code

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. form controls

Form controls for dynamic charts: #1 spinner control, #2 slider/scroll control. Adding form controls to spreadsheets online would practically close the gap to share analysis / scenario spreadsheets. Please add the spinner control (first priority) and secondly the slider / scroll

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion and votes for Form Controls. There is currently no planned work for this as we are focusing on other feature areas. We will continue to accept votes on this and will notify you if our plans are updated.

Thank you!
    Auston, [MSFT]

12. Allow cross sheet cell data and formulae

Use data in between sheets, using formula's etc

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel Online and Mobile Devices

I am writing to request that Excel Online be made to fit a screen on a mobile device from the web browser on said device. I like using Excel Online, however I own an iPhone and I since I like to have first party apps I have Apple's Numbers app installed but not Excel. I only request this because from my iPhone, I cannot access Excel Online to edit an existing document I may have stored on my OneDrive. My thinking is, what if I needed to update, by editing, a document someone sends me with a Excel file format…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Hotkey for Paste Value\Paste formatting

Please add hotkeys for Paste Value\Paste formatting commands

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. excel desktop, PowerPoint desktop, Teams desktop etc., should be default when opening from a PC

Excel desktop, PowerPoint desktop, Teams desktop etc., should be default when opening from a PC, not the online version as is.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel Online Auto Refresh Azure Analysis Services

Excel Desktop PowerPivot Report connected to Azure Analysis Services Tabular model refreshing the data works in Excel Desktop.
    However, when you publish this workbook to Power BI workspace (from the workbook's ribbon menu > File > Publish > Publish To Power BI) then you try to refresh the data in Excel Online it doesn't work!!!

Microsoft should fix this limitation otherwise what's the point of having a refresh capabilities for just Excel Desktop PowerPivot.
    We want our end users to be able to refresh powerpivot reports Online.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ctrl + Scroll Wheel no longer Zooming

Until recently, I was able to use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Excel Online. Since yesterday, this has stopped working.

I can still use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Word Online, which also controls the zoom setting on the Excel Online tab.

This is strange.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix sort

Fix sort in Excel Online please - if you select a column, and sort, unlike the PC version there is no prompt to expand the selection. Big problem if workbook is shared with others.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cell Border Options

Adding options like Customization of border color and size will be really awesome.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Password-protected Excel Workbooks on OneDrive

Password protected spreadsheets do not allow them to be opened again on One Drive. No prompt to enter password...

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base