Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ability to add a trendline

I have created a scatterplot graph on from scratch on the online version of excel, and it seems that I can't add a trendline. Maybe we are able to edit existing ones, I'll have to look into that, but adding one here seems impossible for now.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add ability to for Find dialog to find results across the entire workbook

Can only search up or down. Need to be able to search whole workbook like in excel for desktop. Would really love to see this fixed!

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I am looking forward to excel online matching the desktop version with it's capabilities!

Sometimes the formatting on Microsoft online can be wonky. It's only in the desktop version (sorry if that's not the technical term for it!) where I feel really comfortable with the formatting and more options.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show formulas

This option would allow you to toggle seeing formulas in cells rather than their calculated values.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I would like to have more color options or the ability to make custom colors. (when highlighting cells)

I use Excel to color code our schedules for work and It would be really helpful if there were more color options or the ability to create custom colors.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Row and column highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
    color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable to sort multiple separate range columns in latest version

Latest version of Excel cannot be able to sort multiple columns with separate range. Receiving an error when trying to sort it out.This was available on the earlier versions.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Give an option of specific excel files to be opened in the desktop version instead of excel online

Currently Excel files that have links to other Excel files in SharePoint will not open in Excel Online, if the default in SharePoint is set to open excel is Excel online then an error is given. There needs to be an option to change the default application specific excel files are opened rather than global setting.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Be able to mention @ people

It'd be great to follow Google idea and allow to mention people that have access to the document simply by adding @name .

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ctrl-Y should redo (repeat) Insert Row, same as in Excel

Ctrl-Y should redo (repeat) Insert Row, same as in Excel

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow users to cut and insert rows in between existing rows

Currently, when you cut and 'insert' rows, it pastes over existing rows and information. The insert function should insert the rows and move the existing rows down.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Full Collaboration Only (Prevent File Locking)

This idea is all over this forum for a very long time in different wordings. Clearly this is a huge issue.

MS, PLEASE add an option for files stored on Share Point and One Drive to "Only allow editing in full collaboration mode". This would mean a file would only be editable in the desktop version of Excel if the user is running 2016 and properly signed in to their Office365 account within Excel, thereby preventing file locking for other users.

If not the solution above, at LEAST allow us to set a file to "Edit in Excel Online Only".

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Online Cell Movement After Enter

When editing an Excel Online documents, hitting [ENTER] will drop you down to the next row, same column. Generally hitting [ENTER] will return you to the next row, but in the column your previous modified cell was in.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. If excel is locked send notification to user who locked excel file

If excel is locked send notification to user who locked excel file

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Query and Refresh warning

I would like to have the ability to trust data sources.
    So that a user does not get the 'Query and Refresh Data' warning each he opens a report and refreshes all connections.

This should be a setting for site collection administrators or tenant administrators.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel and word online check out documents

If i view a document on a SharePoint site in Excel online and see a thing that I have to change things get a little cumbersome. The button "Edit" results in a message says that I have to check out tthe document, but no other option to close that box.
    I then have to go back to the library, check out the document, go to the document and open it once more.
    The dialogue box should have a question like; "Do you want to check out this document in order to edit it?" Answer options: Yes or No.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please add "Saved" feature on Excel online

Hi Microsoft,
    Excel online is great tool to maintain my productivity at public computers as I stored all my files under Onedrive.
    But, whenever I edit a doc/xls, I am unsure that my editing is saved. Sometimes and at many locations, I have very poor network connection.
    You have added "Saved" feature in Excel preview for windows 10. Can you please add it to Excel online as well? Thanks

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make Map Charts available in Excel Online

Make Map Charts charting feature available in Excel Online.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improve filtering

In the desktop version of Excel, clicking one of the column headers will display the filter options. This includes the free text search box which initially gets focus. This makes it very easy for users to click, type and hit enter to filter the data.

Within Excel Online, similar functionality is available but it's much more tucked away. So more clicking and thus time is required to achieve the same result. Our users like the effectiveness of the desktop solution and would like to request a similar approach for Excel Online.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base