Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When files are locked by another user

It would be good to have a way to notify person who has locked the file out that is shared to close it by clicking a button

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CELL function added to online

In the desktop version of excel,

=MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1))+1,255)

is the only way to find the current sheet name. On Excel Online, the function CELL does not work.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add ability to reference a cell in another sheet with a simple click (like the desktop version)

In the desktop version of excel, I can reference a cell from another sheet in my formula simply by clicking to that tab and cell. For example to make ='Sheet2'!A1 , I simply have to hit "=" and then click to the tab and cell I want in the formula.

In Excel Online, it is not as user friendly. In order to achieve that reference in a formula, I would need to type out the entire formula, in the process clicking back and forth to remember which cell I am referencing.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It doesn't have all functionality as desktop excel. Make Online excel = Desktop excel

Data formatting could be made as easy as in Desktop excel. As we are very much used to mouse it will be better to have those functionality to copy paste & other functions. In simple words make Online version = Desktop version.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. modify excel online to open password protected files

like other email websites (gmail, etc), excel online should also have feature to open password protected files without download to the pc, it should be open online by entering the file password

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable VBA for Excel Online

Enable VBA for Excel Online. Others have suggested a scripting language like google sheets has (which is javascript). No, keep it VBA.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Need the ability to change the cell STYLE

Online versions needs to be able to change the cell style.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Using custom colors from a theme - bug in Excel 2016?

When you select a custom theme which contains custom colors, you can used those colors initially only with shapes. By doing the following you can use them with cell formatting as well:
    1. Select a theme with custom colors
    2. Insert a shape
    3. Change the fill color with a custom color from the ribbon "home"
    4. Select a cell and you can change the color to a custom color as well

If you do not follow steps 2..4 you can not use custom colors. Even more worse if you follow all steps and you want to use the context…

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Color or the text in one cell

With the current version of Excel Online, once you change the font color of a particular text in single cell it automatically changes the font color of every text or data in that cell.
    It would be handy if we could use different colors for the text in one cell

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Hide or disable the "Edit in Excel" option when users read or open a document from a SharePoint library in Excel Online

Useers who have ReadOnly permission for a SharePoint Library see the "Edit in Excel" option displayed to them. This will fail when they click since they do not have permission.
    reported by a customer on the SPYam Yammer network
    https://www.yammer.com/spyam/#/threads/show?threadId=791261832

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Filter & Sort by color

Please allow Filtering & Sorting by color, like the PC version

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow the time and date to be corrected or the time zone to be adjusted in Excel Online

Not so much an idea as a fix. MS should make it so you can correct your timezone (time and date) within Office Online so time and date related formulas are correct.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Someone else has this workbook locked

I was trying to edit shared excel online and i received message like "Someone else has this workbook locked" now how i should notify "Someone" Please replace "Someone" with the username who has opened this workbook so another one can actually notify him to close.
    If its a privacy issue then Admin should notify about same.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Set range name & restrict to some specific user for edit

I have been using Google sheets and that gives the option to set range names and restrict each range with some specific shared user so that no other user could edit the range data. This feature does exists in MS Excel but Excelonline does not have the option to set range name and to restrict it. This seems very disappointing as I have to share sheets among multiple users with 'user allowed only' ranges & I am unable to convert my online sheets from Google to Microsoft. I am looking for this feature as I am using my Microsoft account…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Define Name for a range

Name a range in Excel Online and make available to use in formulas in other workbooks

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Change colour of words within a cell

To be able to change colour of individual words or characters to highlight those words.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Format Text Differently in One Single Cell

Cannot edit the text of a single cell to more than one format/ text size/ etc. The whole cell has to be the same.

For example, if my cell contains the words "This is a test", in the offline version of Word (and in Google Docs!) you could edit the text in the cell "This is a" to be size 12 pt font and italicized, and "test" to be bold, 16 pt font. This CANNOT be done online. Additionally, if you select a cell that's formatted like this when in the online version of the document, it overrides the customizations…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show who is editing the Excel spreadsheet on Sharepoint so that I can track that person down so that I can edit the doc.

Currently, when I try to edit an Excel spreadsheet online (shared with other users), I can't edit it because somebody else is using it. However, I have no idea who that person in the office is. It would be great if Sharepoint stated who the user is so that I go and talk to them to resolve the issue.

In the interim, I guess I'll just use Google docs wherever possible.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add option to modify the format of coin to #,##0.00

The default Format for coin is the Europa Zone, this format is different on America, with this format the native arithmetic operation, and reports of appliacations doesn't work because not recognize our numbers.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base