Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filter & Sort by color

Please allow Filtering & Sorting by color, like the PC version

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set range name & restrict to some specific user for edit

I have been using Google sheets and that gives the option to set range names and restrict each range with some specific shared user so that no other user could edit the range data. This feature does exists in MS Excel but Excelonline does not have the option to set range name and to restrict it. This seems very disappointing as I have to share sheets among multiple users with 'user allowed only' ranges & I am unable to convert my online sheets from Google to Microsoft. I am looking for this feature as I am using my Microsoft account…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Highlight cells affected by formula when editing

Like the desktop version, when a formula is being edited (F2), highlight with colors the other cells used in the formula.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Row based Date stamp function capturing when data is changed in that row.

Provide an Excel function that date stamps a row when any change is made to data in that row (other than the date stamp column). This is exceptionally useful when maintaining membership data, inventory records etc.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable VBA for Excel Online

Enable VBA for Excel Online. Others have suggested a scripting language like google sheets has (which is javascript). No, keep it VBA.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can we add Immersive Reader support for Excel on the web?

Since Immersive Reader also handles math, formulas, and translation, it would be really helpful to have this available in Excel. Immersive Reader also offers read aloud and is extremely beneficial in support of accessibility for all learners/users.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. modify excel online to open password protected files

like other email websites (gmail, etc), excel online should also have feature to open password protected files without download to the pc, it should be open online by entering the file password

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow the time and date to be corrected or the time zone to be adjusted in Excel Online

Not so much an idea as a fix. MS should make it so you can correct your timezone (time and date) within Office Online so time and date related formulas are correct.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Need the ability to change the cell STYLE

Online versions needs to be able to change the cell style.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Edit history for individual cells

I would like to see edit history for individual cells. Google sheets has this option and it has proven invaluable so I would like to see it available in Excel Online

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Using custom colors from a theme - bug in Excel 2016?

When you select a custom theme which contains custom colors, you can used those colors initially only with shapes. By doing the following you can use them with cell formatting as well:
    1. Select a theme with custom colors
    2. Insert a shape
    3. Change the fill color with a custom color from the ribbon "home"
    4. Select a cell and you can change the color to a custom color as well

If you do not follow steps 2..4 you can not use custom colors. Even more worse if you follow all steps and you want to use the context…

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add ability to reference a cell in another sheet with a simple click (like the desktop version)

In the desktop version of excel, I can reference a cell from another sheet in my formula simply by clicking to that tab and cell. For example to make ='Sheet2'!A1 , I simply have to hit "=" and then click to the tab and cell I want in the formula.

In Excel Online, it is not as user friendly. In order to achieve that reference in a formula, I would need to type out the entire formula, in the process clicking back and forth to remember which cell I am referencing.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Online - sheet print area

Excel Online - Set Print Area - would be nice to be able to set a print area that can be saved, so that when others use the document, it will print the same way without having to redo all the settings.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show formulas

This option would allow you to toggle seeing formulas in cells rather than their calculated values.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I have an Excel file with links to local folders and when I sync that file to Onedrive I'd like the links to refernence the Onedrive folders

I have a local Excel file with links to local folders, all in my local OneDrive folder, all synced to the online OneDrive. I'd like the online version of the Excel file to link to the online folders. And I don't want to enable the "Use Office to Sync Office files that I open" in the OneDrive Settings Office tab.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hide or disable the "Edit in Excel" option when users read or open a document from a SharePoint library in Excel Online

Useers who have ReadOnly permission for a SharePoint Library see the "Edit in Excel" option displayed to them. This will fail when they click since they do not have permission.
    reported by a customer on the SPYam Yammer network
    https://www.yammer.com/spyam/#/threads/show?threadId=791261832

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Row and column highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
    color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Change colour of words within a cell

To be able to change colour of individual words or characters to highlight those words.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base