Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Support for Password Protected Workbooks

Please add support for opening password protected workbooks in Excel online. At present it means you have to drop to using the desktop version.

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it. Please keep voting to influence the feature priority.

Tamar [MSFT]

2. Online scripting language

Include a scripting language on the online version in the same way that Google sheets does. The ability to automate excel on the desktop version via VBA is where the real power of excel is, the online version is therefore significantly handicapped by the lack of any scripting language. Power users need the ability to automate spreadsheet tasks.

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  13 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create the ability to lock certain cells while being able to edit other cells in the same sheet.

Currently, there is not the ability to lock certain cells in a document online, while also being able to edit others in the same sheet. It would help a ton if there was a way to lock specified cells in a sheet and also be able to edit unlocked cells in the sheet when editing online.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add custom error bars to Charts in Excel Online

My students need to be able to add previously calculated error bars to column graphs (to make a bar graph of means +/- standard errors). Adding this to the online version will make it easier for groups to be able to collaborate in real-time using the online version. This would make Excel online beat Google Sheets hands down for me.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We will consider this in our future planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. Need to be able to restrict users to only editing with Excel Online

Create a new share option that is "Edit in Excel Online". Limiting users to only editing online would prevent a lot of locked out issues when collaborating with a large number of people.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Notifications when file is updated

I would like to know when my OneDrive file that I have shared with someone is updated by that other person.

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  11 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow VLOOKUP across Online workbooks

In Excel client, it is possible to define a VLOOKUP across two workbooks. Not just sheets within a Workbook, but across two different files. Excel will retrieve and keep the filename and path.

At one time this allowed me to create a complex (ever changing) network of various different but related data listings, without having to copy list 1 to workbook 2 for VLOOKUP validation. The files were stored on a fileserver that everybody had access to using the same Drive letter. Yes, this is old school.

Now in the Online world, I want people to work on different workbooks,…

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please add the abilty to copy charts from Excel online in order to paste into other apps

Hi, I have set up charts for data visualisation within Excel that I would like others to be able to use in their reports and presentations. Unfortunately Excel Online does not appear to allow you to copy a chart.

Is there a workaround (that doesn't mean the user opening in Excel desktop and thus locking the file) or could this be added please?

Thank you.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it. Please keep voting to influence the feature priority.

Tamar [MSFT]

9. Support UDF(User Defined Function) in Excel Online

Without supporting UDF (User Defined Function) in Excel online, this service is pretty useless for any professional Excel users or any corporate environments where Excel VBA, Macros, Add-Ins are widely used.
    And, do not forgot, Google Spreadsheet already has it. A lot of people think UDF+Macro are the main advantages Excel Desktop version really has.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add the ability to create Pivot Charts in Excel Online

Build the features that allow me to use PivotCharts online I am guessing this is on the Roadmap just putting it here since i do not see it listed.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PivotCharts are supported in Excel Online if they were previously created in the desktop app. We don’t currently support creating a new PivotChart in Excel Online. However, we’ll consider improving this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Trendline with Excel Online

Excel online needs the capability of adding a trendline to a graph. How is this not possible when it should be a basic function of any excel program? With my present job there's really no point in using excel online when it can't add a trendline. If google sheets can add trendlines then excel online should be able to also.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. color and font themes need to carry over from excel offline.

color and font themes need to carry over from excel offline.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix Excel Online Print Paper Selection Defaulting to A4

When printing from Excel online (in either IE or Chrome) the paper type is defaulting to A4 instead of Letter.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Examine copy and paste function within the browser version of Office 365 Excel

Copy and paste function is so hit or miss in Office 365 Excel.

For example, formatting of tables is completely lost even when I'm copying and pasting from one tab of Office 365 Excel to another.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow for multi user editing without file locks as with Google Spreadsheet

Generate the baility to multi user edit concurrently on the same file for both Excel online and application. Currently there is no true multi user editing as anytime a file is accessed even with multiple users enabled it still locks the file and cannot be edited by others.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Row based Date stamp function capturing when data is changed in that row.

Provide an Excel function that date stamps a row when any change is made to data in that row (other than the date stamp column). This is exceptionally useful when maintaining membership data, inventory records etc.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Highlight cells affected by formula when editing

Like the desktop version, when a formula is being edited (F2), highlight with colors the other cells used in the formula.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base