Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to Zoom in/out a workbook

Add the ability to zoom a workbook in the web browser, without zooming the entire browser window.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - updated idea title and description to be clearer.)

1,057 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

192 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it.

2. There is no way to select non-adjacent cells as in normal Excel.

In order to tot-up figures, it is useful to be able to use Ctrl+click and select different cells. There is no functionality in Excel online to do this currently.

503 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

193 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Support for Password Protected Workbooks

Please add support for opening password protected workbooks in Excel online. At present it means you have to drop to using the desktop version.

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it. Please keep voting to influence the feature priority.

Tamar [MSFT]

4. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ability to for Find dialog to find results across the entire workbook

Can only search up or down. Need to be able to search whole workbook like in excel for desktop. Would really love to see this fixed!

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Row and column highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
    color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve filtering

In the desktop version of Excel, clicking one of the column headers will display the filter options. This includes the free text search box which initially gets focus. This makes it very easy for users to click, type and hit enter to filter the data.

Within Excel Online, similar functionality is available but it's much more tucked away. So more clicking and thus time is required to achieve the same result. Our users like the effectiveness of the desktop solution and would like to request a similar approach for Excel Online.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. If someone has a document open, Just incorporate a message to them in teams and/or outlook to close it

If someone has a document open, Just incorporate a message to them in teams and/or outlook to close it

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Hide/Show Rows and Columns Method to Excel API

Add a method to the Excel API to Hide and Show a range of Rows or Columns

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to filter column by colour

I can currently filter a column by text, would be nice to be able to filter a column by colour from the drop down. Thanks

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

Enable Full screen mode and zoom slider

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ctrl + Scroll Wheel no longer Zooming

Until recently, I was able to use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Excel Online. Since yesterday, this has stopped working.

I can still use Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel to zoom in and out of Word Online, which also controls the zoom setting on the Excel Online tab.

This is strange.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Zoom % should be actual

The zoom % in Excel online is always 100%. It would be good to load the file with the actual view size saved in the file. Secondly, there is no zoom option available in the screen. We have to use the browser zoom option to do the same.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support Background image for excel worksheet in Excel Online

We have an option to set background image for Excel worksheet using Page Layout > Background. We can add images like confidential, draft copy etc. using this option we can show the image on every page on excel worksheet.

This option works fine in Excel desktop application. However, in Excel Online, it says this feature is not supported.

Even in SharePoint Excel Web access web part also the background image is not showing up.

It would be nice if this feature is enabled in Excel Online/SharePoint Web Access web part too.

Alternate options for background option would be setting up…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have the ability to freeze specific rows and columns at the same time...

Have the ability to freeze specific rows and columns at the same time...

old revs had this option - with a slide bars at the right, and the top- please bring it back.
    now you can only freeze a row, OR a column, in the middle of a worksheet. Sometimes you need to freeze multiple columns and rows on huge sheets

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Formula Bar also visible in 'Read Only' Mode in Excel Online

Hello, when viewing files with Excel Online, the Formula Bar is not present in 'Read Only' Mode. In the cases where the cell content (usually a text) in one cell is too long, it is not possible to read the content without increasing the column width. It is not very hard to exceed the column width with some text, and very annoying. The current version makes the sharing of Excel files filled with text impossible to read for the other users. Please fix this by making the Formula Bar also visible in 'Read only Mode' (copy/paste and ctrl+c/x... disabled is…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Real time changes when viewing a file

I have a excel online file, which I update regularly, it's stored on Onedrive. I update it daily - sometimes, twice a day. I have sent the view only link to my friends, they opened it in IE, Opera, Chrome, etc. My suggestion is to make it dyinamic. What I mean, if I change something on my end (excel online), they see the updated version in real time, without needing to manually refresh page each time.

My friends cannot edit document and not all of them have Microsoft account.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide an option to disable Excel Online and default to desktop version

Excel Online continues to disappoint new users and is hampering adoption of both SharePoint and Teams. Even if the library and site collection are set to "Open in client application", every Excel file that isn’t opened directly form the library in SharePoint or files tab in Teams, opens in the garbage online version, then has to be change to desktop, then user has to close the useless window of the online version.

There is no option to open in the desktop version for a file attached to a planner task embedded in Teams, so then it is either jump through…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. please make it so we can shrink the screen on exel

please make it so we can shrink the screen on exel

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base