Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to open Excel Online in Edit mode by default or link to edit mode

Currently I need to click Open on Excel Online or Open Excel if I want to edit a workbook. If I have edit permissions, it should open in edit mode by default on Excel Online. At the very least we should be able to add a URL argument to allow it

455 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

156 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. I would like to clarify: If sharing through SP the URL parameters are hashed. When a user edit an Excel file and copy the URL for sharing over email the user can choose to change the action to edit.
    Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it.

Tamar [MSFT]

2. Save as CSV

It would be great if you could add "Save as CSV" file format to the Save As feature.

268 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  19 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hide or disable the "Edit in Excel" option when users read or open a document from a SharePoint library in Excel Online

Useers who have ReadOnly permission for a SharePoint Library see the "Edit in Excel" option displayed to them. This will fail when they click since they do not have permission.
    reported by a customer on the SPYam Yammer network
    https://www.yammer.com/spyam/#/threads/show?threadId=791261832

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. If too large for Excel online allow the ability to download the file and open locally.

If too large for Excel online allow the ability to download the file and open locally.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Save as PDF

To be able to save as PDF right to Onedrive.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. excel desktop, PowerPoint desktop, Teams desktop etc., should be default when opening from a PC

Excel desktop, PowerPoint desktop, Teams desktop etc., should be default when opening from a PC, not the online version as is.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When will the ability to open password protected spreadsheets be available for Excel Online?

We need the ability to open password protected spreadsheets with excel online.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add ability to notify user who is blocking access that other's need access

When opening a sheet and discovering that the sheet is locked because someone is accessing the sheet with Excel, we should have a button that will notify the user that I am requesting access.

This would encourage a discussion between the Excel and Excel Online user.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ask for the password when a file is password protected.

When trying to open an attachment that is password protected, ask for the password Instead of displaying an error dialogue box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Custom Excel templates for Group or global use in Excel Online/SharePoint

Would like to enhance Excel templates in the ONLINE version - such that files can be saved-as templates, xltx files can be opened in the online version and then saved by users as a new file (like the desktop version) also be able to display Group shared templates so that everyone in the group or organization has direct access to company designed templates

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Notify user locking the file

If file is locked notify user

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove the Download Option

While customizing the embed option: though I unmark the "Include a download link" option, people can still download the file by clicking on the "View Full-Size Workbook".

Isn't these two options are contradictory to each other when the user doesn't want to let other download the file?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Be able to open excel files online even if it is with unsupported feature.

• Should let us know which particular thing that sets off the unsupported prompt

• Even if there are unsupported features inside the file we should be able to open the file ignoring the unsupported or opening it by creating a copy without the unsupported feature

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Open Excel application automatically

It would be great if there was an option to open the Excel application automatically instead of having to manually click "Open in Excel".

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. we need open the excel encrypted in the online excel without downloaded it

we need open the excel encrypted in the online excel without downloaded it

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Let me open shared file in local Excel 2016

Trying to open a shared file with Workbook Sharing activated - can't open because Workbook Sharing isn't supported in Excel online. Give me an option to open in local Excel 2016 license, or to sync the file to my local drive so I can open in local Excel license.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Version history option missing in Excel Online.

Version history option missing in Excel Online. Placement in nav bar optimal, but any place would fit needs. Win for clients as easier to restore and review past changed to files. Win for Microsoft as reduces quantity of file copies placed in cloud storage.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to open any file, even if not editable

I have some files that have macros in them that I would like to be able to view without running the macros.
    It would be even better if I could add data to them and not break the macro portion so when I open later in a desktop version I can run the macros on the new data.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Always open locally option

1) Because Excel Online is slow and doesn't have all features, such as VBA, there should always be a button to open in Excel locally (I couldn't find it in a file in a Yammer post)

2) In Share-point (or in all of Windows) it should be possible to select an option to always open xlsx-files in Excel locally .... as the Online-version does not fulfill the full spec of Excel that we use.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base