Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

2,652 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

656 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Joseph,

We are now shipping a feature called Sheet View on Excel for the web that can help you sort and filter while collaborating with others. You can accomplish your tasks in a Sheet View without others impacting your workflow. Learn more here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Sheet-View-is-generally-available/ba-p/1032576

We’ve started the rollout to users on Excel for the web and will be available to all Excel for the web users within the coming weeks.

Thanks!

2. Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

782 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

196 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow a site owner to kick a user out of a file opened in Excel Online

If you have multiple people co-authoring in Excel Online, there are times when you need to open the file in Excel - typically for advanced formatting, etc. If someone has accidentally left the file open in their browser, there is no way to force them out and keeps the file locked. Although not always intentional, it can create a major headache by not being able to simply kick/close out that particular user from editing.

394 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When a document is locked (as it's being edited by another user) it would be great to know who is editing the file offline.

When a document is locked (as it's being edited by another user) it would be great to know who is editing the file offline.

176 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need to be able to restrict users to only editing with Excel Online

Create a new share option that is "Edit in Excel Online". Limiting users to only editing online would prevent a lot of locked out issues when collaborating with a large number of people.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Notifications when file is updated

I would like to know when my OneDrive file that I have shared with someone is updated by that other person.

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  11 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When files are locked by another user

It would be good to have a way to notify person who has locked the file out that is shared to close it by clicking a button

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Someone else has this workbook locked

I was trying to edit shared excel online and i received message like "Someone else has this workbook locked" now how i should notify "Someone" Please replace "Someone" with the username who has opened this workbook so another one can actually notify him to close.
    If its a privacy issue then Admin should notify about same.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show who is editing the Excel spreadsheet on Sharepoint so that I can track that person down so that I can edit the doc.

Currently, when I try to edit an Excel spreadsheet online (shared with other users), I can't edit it because somebody else is using it. However, I have no idea who that person in the office is. It would be great if Sharepoint stated who the user is so that I go and talk to them to resolve the issue.

In the interim, I guess I'll just use Google docs wherever possible.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Be able to mention @ people

It'd be great to follow Google idea and allow to mention people that have access to the document simply by adding @name .

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Full Collaboration Only (Prevent File Locking)

This idea is all over this forum for a very long time in different wordings. Clearly this is a huge issue.

MS, PLEASE add an option for files stored on Share Point and One Drive to "Only allow editing in full collaboration mode". This would mean a file would only be editable in the desktop version of Excel if the user is running 2016 and properly signed in to their Office365 account within Excel, thereby preventing file locking for other users.

If not the solution above, at LEAST allow us to set a file to "Edit in Excel Online Only".

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. If excel is locked send notification to user who locked excel file

If excel is locked send notification to user who locked excel file

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel and word online check out documents

If i view a document on a SharePoint site in Excel online and see a thing that I have to change things get a little cumbersome. The button "Edit" results in a message says that I have to check out tthe document, but no other option to close that box.
    I then have to go back to the library, check out the document, go to the document and open it once more.
    The dialogue box should have a question like; "Do you want to check out this document in order to edit it?" Answer options: Yes or No.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add "Saved" feature on Excel online

Hi Microsoft,
    Excel online is great tool to maintain my productivity at public computers as I stored all my files under Onedrive.
    But, whenever I edit a doc/xls, I am unsure that my editing is saved. Sometimes and at many locations, I have very poor network connection.
    You have added "Saved" feature in Excel preview for windows 10. Can you please add it to Excel online as well? Thanks

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Notifications in Excel online

Google Sheets has a wonderful feature showing notifications as and when sheet is edited.
    Excel online lacks this feature or its available I'm not aware of !
    Please help.

Sat Arora

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Short link to shared documents

It would be nice to have short links to shared documents instead of long ugly links, so we don't need to use external shorteners for internal documents (we should't share links to outside of company).

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

info needed  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback. Short Link is a Host functionality and not specific app functionality. OneDrive Consumer and Box support it. SharePoint and OneDrive for business require using a free SP app or 3rd party tools. Hope this answer your feedback, if not, can you please provide more info?

Tamar [MSFT]

18. Excel Online - Filters and capacity

Excel online doesn't allow users to filter without filtering the document for all rest of users. This is a key feature for shared documents so every user can filter and modify only the desire information without having to scroll or search.
    Also Excel online currently doesn't handle medium/big files. Files with 2.700 KB take long time to open and don't work well.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. We should be able to work real time in the document with multiple users regardless if they are using the browser or client version....

Realtime collaboration in Excel is key and we cannot be allowed only to collaborate in the browser. Users should be able to choose between browser or client and edit simultaneously in the same way.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Let me know who has the file locked so I can ask them to unlock it.

Let me know who has the file locked so I can ask them to unlock it.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base