Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make comments in excel be also saved when downloaded to pc

Whenever I download a copy of my online excel file and open it, it says "Excel found unreadable content in <filename>. Do you want to recover.." It doesn't include the comments which is very important to me as they are like my diary, reminding what that was all about.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Increase capacity of dropdowns

As a manager with the Ga Dept of Ed, I routinely poll all of the school systems. I would love to use Excel Online Survey tool- but there is a limit as to how many selections I can have in the dropdown. I cannot get all 190 districts on the dropdown - which would require me to have 3 dropwdowns- which prevents me from requiring a seletion.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 'open in excel online' link on ribbon when working in excel desktop

when working in online mode of word, excel or powerpoint, you can click a link saying open in excel / word / powerpoint on desktop. But when working in desktop mode there is not the option to say open in online

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Business Intelligence removed from Office 365 Business Premium :(

Have Office 365 Midsize Business and Microsoft is forcing us to go to a new plan. Office 365 Business Premium which is the same price has Business Intelligence missing which we use. It would cost $90 a year more per person to go to E3 which has the BI we need or I have to cancel the plan we have now (because user names are attached to the online email address) and start another account. Please add option to purchase BI for some reasonable amount!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. View sheets in full screen mode much like viewing a Youtube video.

I have a sheet that 6 people can update and I would like the sheet displayed full screen on one of my computer screens permanently as an image with nothing else

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Arabic Layout must be in place somewhere in this cloud xxcel app as well as it is in microsoft office packages in desktop

writing in arabic begins from right to left as known so there must be a button on the office cloud interface that a user can switch the direction from Right-To-Left and from Left-To-Right for example columns' captions must be A, B, C, D, etc .... from Right-To-Left Enabled too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Check out option in main Excel Online window

I'm trying to implement the use of Excel Online, but we still use check-in/out for editing documents.

To ease this transition to co-authoring, I would like people to use EO, but without the long-winded way of check-out.

This should be an option in EO next to 'Edit Workbook', or at least in the three-dots menu

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. calculator in Excel online

you should add a calculator in Excel online would be alot easier for the user to they don't need to open calculator on the desktop

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Support for Box.com to open and save too

Add Support for Box.com to open and save too
    thanks
    Joe

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make Excel online look like the WUP

Make word online like the Excel Mobile app for windows and mobile devices. make it look completely like it and if you have office 365 subscription allow access to all the features but not make it where you must have office 365 to do the stuff that excel online has already. If the Excel Online was an exact copy of Excel Mobile (2016 app) it would make it easier to work on a chromebook or a computer that is not windows 10

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Why not have an "excel light" without all the "improvements" missing so us uneducated people don't have to relearn the software every time.

Why not have an "excel light" without all the "improvements" missing so us uneducated people don't have to relearn the software every time a new version is released?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi James,

Can you expand on what you mean a bit more – maybe with some examples? I’m not sure I understand what you’re getting at here.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

13. You should be able to customise surveys like in Google form eg have themes or insert logos

You should be able to customise surveys like in Google form eg have themes or insert logos

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Not Download option in Excel Online and Group Sharing

Is there a way, where the person viewing the file is not allowed to download the file.

Also can we create a group of members to be shared and share it with only those members. Will those members have access to it. I do not want to provide edit access to them. But only few cell, where they can select or edit the data.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Do not lock the workbook when people want to edit it online

When people would be editing it offline, then the people online could possibly edit it online

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add option to require a document to only open in Excel desktop application (prevent opening in web app).

There has got to be some way to set the universal setting that excel will always open in desktop excel and not in online excel. As is right now, every time I open excel I have to go through 4 clicks and about 20 seconds to get it on desktop excel.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Sort columns and update formulae

e.g. column A cells have formulae with cell references to their row. Column b has strings. when I sort data by column B, the references contained in column A aren't adjusted to refer to their new row number.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Copy conditional formatting formulae

When using a formulae with row cell references in a conditional format copying the cell's format down should adjust the conditional formatting formulae's cell references accordingly to use the new row's cells unless I have the $ symbol.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. previous version

There should be a way to minimize the previous versions after it has been selected. It will stay pulled up until the page is refreshed, this can be quite tedious when you have to constantly review documents or just want to verify something in a previous version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base