Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Highlight fields in Excel Online when modifying a formula! (Google sheets does that!)

Highlight fields in Excel Online when modifying a formula!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. it would be great to have the custom view option in the online version

it would be great to have the custom view option in the online version

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. please make it so we can shrink the screen on exel

please make it so we can shrink the screen on exel

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide options to open Excel when it cannot be opened on Browser

If an excel file cannot be opened for various reason on the browser, an option should be given to the user to open it on the desktop/client.

E.g. I am getting an error "The requested range does not exist in the sheet"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. modify excel online to open password protected files

like other email websites (gmail, etc), excel online should also have feature to open password protected files without download to the pc, it should be open online by entering the file password

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. give us 1 week notice before blocking the report or talk to our company on charges

give us 1 week notice before blocking the report or talk to our company on charges

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel Online Insert Document Attachment

Need to be able to insert attachments to a cell in Excel, much like on the program Smartsheet. Thanks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. If someone has a document open, Just incorporate a message to them in teams and/or outlook to close it

If someone has a document open, Just incorporate a message to them in teams and/or outlook to close it

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. assign tasks via the comment box and inform person asigned to solve the task via email

Same functionality is available in google sheets/slides. By entering ***@email.com and adding a task the person will get a notification via email that there is task for him/her to resolve. Once resolved he/she can directly mark the comment as resolved and the initiator gets a notification that this is done

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make Map Charts available in Excel Online

Make Map Charts charting feature available in Excel Online.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I would like a LOCK mode/icon for excel spreadsheets so they can be viewed and but NOT edited by accident (since i can't preview)

I would like a LOCK mode/toolbar icon for excel spreadsheets so they can be viewed and but NOT edited by accident.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Your session has exceeded its limits and has been closed" is unclear language, articulate what "the limit" is and how it's exceded

"Your session has exceeded its limits and has been closed"

Error Id: d5beba95-ab91-4d03-b643-f81fb062e0c8, 2018-06-13 15:57:51Z

This error message don't clearly articulate what the user did wrong or how to avoid doing it again. A more detailed message, or one that uses clear language to define what "exceeded its limits" even means, would provide users with a way to avoid getting this error, over and over, as I have.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Viewing who a document is shared with.

I would like to be able to easliy view all users that I have shared a document with, and those that may of been passed on the link. At present I can only see those that are currently online and accessing the document..

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. when looking at excel sheet online it times out too fast!

when looking at excel sheet online it times out too fast.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Advanced filter options

Introducing advanced filters like in Outlook desktop version will be great.
    We have filters for subject, from, to, body, date, attachment filters in outlook.

It is a pain to search using keywords.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Online support

Dear customer service officer,

I hope that is an online support that we can communicate with an officer whenever we encounter any issue.

Thank you

Best Regards
    Lynn

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Disable automatic query refresh when opening Excel online

As you state in your error message, "data refresh"..."that uses secure external data connections to on-premises servers.."will probably not work in Office 365". It doesn't. This is an obstacle to online collaboration where a developer creates an auto-updating Excel file with pivot tables that refresh on open using secure connections to SQL server for an end user who needs this information on their portable device. Instead of forcing the Excel Online user to go through the error messages and warnings, why not offer the option (checkbox on error message?) to turn off refresh in Excel Online, while maintaining it for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base