Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ability to see cell calcualations in view mode

You currently can't see how the cells are calculated, unless you are in "edit workbook" mode. It would be nice to see how cells are calculated because I need to share a sheet with others so they can see the calculations, but I don't want them to edit the sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add Save changes button on the embedded website page, thanks

Please add Save changes button on the embedded website page, thanks

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use Office templates in new sheets instead of creating new workbooks each time

It would be great to be able to use the templates for a new sheet on an existing workbook instead of always having to create a new workbook. I like to use the budget template for each month but instead of being able to place it in the same workbook just different sheets I have to create a new workbook for each month to use the budget template.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve movability within spreadsheet, smoother navigation

Have been working on Google for many years now, and recently switched to Outlook (including Excel Online). The spreadsheet does seem to snag up at times (scrolling, for example), and certain tasks do take longer (filling a cell). Much I like about it, but keep working for easy navigation.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Have multiple surveys for one spreadsheet

I would like the ability to create more than one survey for the same spreadsheet. Perhaps each tab could have its own survey. What I would like to do in particular is have one survey to submit ideas and another one to vote for the ideas. This would also require the use of logic but other people have touched on that. I'm not sure if 'logic' includes being able to post one of the cells to your survey however.

If this idea already was stated let me know and I will vote for it!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add ability to disable the Query warning (and/or disable external queries completely) in Excel Online and the Excel Web Access web part.

This query dialog that appears seems good in that it prevents the execution of "dangerous" queries, however, it has the effect of confusing end users and making them scared.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Prevent "Edit in Excel" from locking a file located in OneDrive

It's frustrating to have users inadvertently open a file with desktop Excel, effectively disabling the collaboration features of Excel Online. This is difficult to avoid without Excel having the ability to collaborate or disable the locking.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Survey sections, headers, and other format options

Excel online surveys need to be able to compete with Google surveys. Really surprised there is no basic formatting and a user can't even add section headers to divide up survey content. Finding it hard to believe nothing like that has been added since Excel online surveys became available years ago...

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add ability to open Online files with more than 10 MB

Add ability to open Online files with more than 10 MB and increase file size to 30-40Mb

272 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatically change to view only mode after certain period of time

Excel online file should be change to view mode after certain time of unactivity

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When trying to enter a date in a cell (formatted as Cat=Date, Type=14/03/2012), entry is rejected - get Error in Date Range or Entry Format

When trying to enter a date in a cell (formatted as Cat=Date, Type=14/03/2012), entry is rejected - get Error in Date Range or Entry Format

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi David,

Can you give more specific steps that you’re trying to do – I’m not sure I follow the issue that you’re raising.

Thanks
    Dan [MS]

12. After a session expires, automatically reload the page, rather than prompting to refresh

Instead of telling me my session has expired on a read only document, and asking to hit refresh. How about just automatically refreshing the page.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I'd like to View files shared with me in Files list

Is there a way to view a file shared with me in my Files list without having to click on the navigation bar?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. keyboard shortcut to view next/previous sheet

keyboard shortcut to view next/previous sheet

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. add "activate sheet" from list of sheets functionality

In the desktop app, right-clicking the "next sheet" arrow will give you a drop-down of sorts to choose the active sheet.

This functionality is not available in excel online... I have multiple workbooks that have 50+ sheets to navigate through and it would be great to be able to have this functionality while using excel-online.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add the ability to see who has viewed the shared document.

It would be nice to see who is viewing the document so that I know whether sharing the document is helpful.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Paste multiple lines into Excel Online

If I have multiple lines in the clibboard and paste them into Excel Online, they should appear as multiple lines in the spreadsheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. unsupported feature survey

Enable basic features to support pivot tables and charts as well as slicers to create reports based on the survey data. Currently, the survey forms gets disabled if such reports are created.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Data Validation to Excel API

Add a method and properties to set Data Validation in a Range

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Hide/Show Rows and Columns Method to Excel API

Add a method to the Excel API to Hide and Show a range of Rows or Columns

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base