Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I need to be able to have a dashboard workbook reading data from other workbooks.

I have a dashboard workbook that I need to populate with data from several other workbooks. I need to map to individual cells. This works fine in normal excel when the documents are on my local machine, but they break when they are on the cloud. I have people using tablets who need to be able to update document that need to be displayed on the dashboard workbook, but this only works when I open the documents on my local machine to have them update.

Is there a way to map to a cloud document and have it pull data…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy as table - Excel Online

Copy in Excel and paste in e.g. Outlook or webmail gives a table.
    Copy in Excel Online and paste in similar just gives a mess of text. It apparently copies text in TSV format to the clipboard. This produces content that is so ugly as to be unusable.

Please make a 'Copy as <pretty>' available. So probably putting a HTML format onto the clipboard.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. layout

make a simpler layout

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. List of access users

An overview who has access to the document, where you can add/remove users ad see who has been viewing/editing at what time

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. No preview for print

When we give a print command no preview is available for what we are printing but the same feature is available in google sheets. So it should be developed.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Formatting copy

When We copy from online excel to any other application formatting is not copied , the text is copied as plain text. No background color, bold italic all formatting is gone. I tested it on google sheets but it is possible there so I think this feature should be developed for excel online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. make it less confusing

Make it less confusing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Active X Support in Excel Online

Active X support for Excel Online would make the Online a far more powerful tool for data presentation and data collection.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Give an option of specific excel files to be opened in the desktop version instead of excel online

Currently Excel files that have links to other Excel files in SharePoint will not open in Excel Online, if the default in SharePoint is set to open excel is Excel online then an error is given. There needs to be an option to change the default application specific excel files are opened rather than global setting.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Message to user who has spreadsheet locked.

When another user has the worksheet locked, be able to send a message within the system to alert them to unlock.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel clipboard copy option

The current copy option from excel remains on the clipboard for one copy before paste, user may potentially expect to process multiple copies from clipboard until a new source copy is available from the clipboard, having the option to maintain the source copy from clipboard, user may save time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Explore function like in Google Sheets

Feature to ask a question about our data, without typing any formula. See Google Sheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel online support for text boxes

We want to add instructions to an Excel sheet. Excel Online does not provide that ability of adding text boxes we would use for instructions and other data for users.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. filter using multiple

One have the ability to filter the data using multiple columns.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Avoid reoloading the workbook for edit

When I open an Excel workbook and want to edit it within the browser I have to wait until it has been fully reloaded. On large workbooks, this takes quite a long time, especially when I'm on the road and have only a poor internet connection.
    It would be better and easier to open the workbook without reloading.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. More functionality, why am i restricted to one color table

simple, give it all functionalities that excel has

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. As an online excel user I would like to change only part of the content of a cell to highlight this particular content

As an online excel user I would like to change only part of the content of a cell to highlight this particular content in a different color and/or font

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Excel files over 5 mbs

If someone share a link to an excel file and the file exceeds 5 mbs, you cannot open the file. There should be an option (prompt) allowing for a user to download the file provide through the link.

In trying to share a file from OneDrive on my phone, I have no way to share a large file that is too large for most to receive via email and too large for a user to open via a link

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give Excel Online a third mode "Data Entry" (without saving the data into the file)

With our Javascript Add-In "data.io" - you`ll find it in the Office Store / AppSource - we could use ONE Excel File in Excel Online as a single "data entry file" for 1000s of users within the same data collection / planning process.

Unfortunately this doesnt work due to several reasons:
    1. For this purpose it would be perfect to do the data entry in &quot;View Mode&quot; and not in &quot;Edit Mode&quot; (since we don
    t want to save any data in the excel file itself).It would be a third mode "Data Entry Mode" since now it is not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base