Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Desktop/Web version should support reply a message.

Desktop/Web version should support reply a message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Users to Edit Ranges should function in Excel Online

This functionality would be incredible for several things my office would like to implement if it worked online. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly but it appears other users have been having the same issues. When I open an excel online file in the desktop app and give specific users permission to edit locked ranges it works when editing on my computer in the desktop app but not when editing on the web app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. pin

Allow the user to pin a folder in Office 365, either their own or a shared folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Stop forcing Sharepoint links to open using Excel online

Link automatically open in Excel online which doesn't work for many documents that have macros or are over a certain size. Give an option to open in Desktop Excel or just download the file instead without having to waste time trying to load it in Excel Online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save to desktop

Make a Save As button on top when you open it online. So its easy to download/save rather than open in desktop and then save

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I like to make the choice between Ecel application and online for a complete session at least as option

Hello, we work with Onedrive and share data. Here and there I need to copy data from multiple Excel files on Onedrive to another one. Excel online is not always my first choice and I like to have an option for opening the files always in Excel application; choice for session is preferred.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. For Office 365 when sharing a worksheet, I would like the ability to lock down the cells that I have edited.

I would like the ability to lock down cells after editing a shared workbook. This way if another user wants to edit those cells it would be a two step process to unlock the cells and edit the values a second time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please discontinue Excel Online

Look--there is Excel on a user's desktop that has one set of rules, then there's Server versions of Excel sheets that have a different set of rules. Now Excel Online has an entirely different (and cripplingly limited) set of rules.

So if you must continue the madness--at least call it something else, like "Doodlebumpkins" or "Excel Lite".

Calling it "Excel" severely diminishes the brand. People who have only used Excel in the "online" version will hate it forever and would be unlikely to ever purchase the "real" Excel because you don't get a second chance to make a good first…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Desktop Excel is great, spreadsheet edit within SharePoint is TERRIBLE. I suggest ALWAYS opening .xls* files within the desktop app.

Desktop Excel is great, spreadsheet edit within SharePoint is TERRIBLE. I suggest ALWAYS opening .xls* files within the desktop app. Why even try to provide functionality within SharePoint?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. need to link excel files (fields) online for active, real-time team collaboration

need to link excel files (fields) online for active, real-time team collaboration

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. It needs to be able to send file to waypoint

It needs to be able to send file to waypoint

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Range Objects for Flow (implement Range.CurrentRegion)

Only being able to use data that is in a table, or having to create a table in order to use that data, is incredibly restrictive and frustrating.

If we HAVE to use tables for Flow, then we really need a way to dynamically determine the range in order to create those tables.

Ideally, we could just use a JSON object instead that mimicked how Range objects function in VBA.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel online should have Filter View functionality like Google Drive

Without Filter View, collaborators are constantly seeing their view change as other collaborators filter on their work. This makes what could be a much needed file unusable for more than 2-3 users. In our team of 20+, users have to save local copies to even work with the file. At that point, there isn't much value and its more of a headache than anything. Private filter views where collaborator can work on the document without other users impeding their progress is absolutely necessary

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. The ability to mail merge from a form spreadsheet to an online word document.

I would like to mail merge form responses into a printable word template.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Protect Range/Sheet, Collaboration Range/Sheet, Tracking history of workbook

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Besides that, in comparison, Microsoft Excel Online doesn't have advanced features in the Google Sheets. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Protecting features only works in desktop version (not work online)

~ Microsoft Excel Only cannot protect sheets, but Google Sheets can protect sheets or ranges. Therefore, many users can collaborate together with high security in range/ranges, same sheet/sheets in a common workbook.

~ and so many advanced other feature in Google Sheets doesn't appear in Microsoft Excel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hope you can add a feature to prevent other users deleting the sheets in the workbook.

Hope you can add a feature to prevent other users deleting the sheets in the workbook.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Text of Comment in E-mail

In the notification e-mail when a user is tagged in a comment, it would be helpful to include the text of the comment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base