Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Office Scripts to the native Excel Application

I understand getting full blown VBA working on the web is extremely unlikely (impossible?).

So - make Office Scripts run on native Excel (and other Office apps). That way we get

1) One common development language across all Microsoft Office applications

2) Support for Javascript/Typescript in native Office.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Office native platforms already supports JavaScript/TypeScript for the add-in (extensions) model. The built-in Office Scripts/automation is not yet supported.

We do intend to support Office Scripts across other platforms and hosts. However, the priority and schedules for such expansion in coverage is not yet finalized. We are right now focussed on delivering it for Online platform with Power Automation support. Please stay tuned for future announcements to learn about the coverage.

Thanks,
    Sudhi

2. Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Macros features in Microsoft Excel.

Add Macros features in Microsoft Excel.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. bind office script to events

bind custom functions written with office scripts to events such as "onChanged" as described in the documentation for addins:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/excel/excel-add-ins-events

it's essential to enable automation

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback.

Currently, events APIs are not supported within Office Scripts. One of the main reason is that events can be long running and scripts have a defined start and end points. Unlike an add-in, the script doesn’t stay in the background to listen in and act on the events.
    Could you please let us know how you’d utilize events API support? That will definitely help us understand the requirement better.

Thank you
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    Program Manager

5. Enable Office Scripts to refresh Power Query queries

Allow Office Scripts to refresh Power Query queries. It'd be very helpful to automatically refresh data using Power Automate, but that platform cannot currently refresh data.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for providing the feedback. Your input helps us in making the product better.

Reg. Power Query refresh action – yes, this is in our backlog. We don’t yet have an API that can refresh a Power Query. We’re working with the product team to prioritize the API. I don’t have an ETA yet. But, we’ll be monitoring this closely and update our docs once the feature becomes available. Feel free to email me if you need more details.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    Program Manager
    Suramam@microsoft.com

6. allow full use of excel features on the online version.

The one drive excel does not have the full features of excel and so I cant use it for my Intro to excel class which is frustrating. Please allow the full version from Online.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. How can we use existing Macro / VB from Desktop in Online?

How can we use existing Macro / VB from Desktop in Online?
    Some automatic function is good.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add office scripts to shapes in Excel Online

Assign script/Vba/macro to a shape in Excel online

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Excel for web doesn’t support VBA or macros. There is however a new scripting option if you are looking to automate your solution. Office Scripts is a new offering we released in public preview earlier this year. It offers recording and scripting capabilities based on TypeScript/JavaScript languages. Please check out https://aka.ms/office-scripts for details.

Office Scripts doesn’t yet allow shape based triggers. It is something that is of interest to us. Could you please provide some details how how you wish to use this in Excel for web?

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com
    The Microsoft Team

9. Online Excel needs to have 'Name Manager as an option'

The online Excel version does not have the 'Name Manager' option, which I use frequently for Macros and VBScript. To get the features I need, I end up having to open the application on my desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. get the last cell in contiguous range of non-empty cells

I'd like you to add a method for get the last cell in contiguous range of non-empty cells.

even like the 'End' property in VBA are okay.

With ActiveSheet
    Set rng = .Cells(.Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row, 1)
    End With

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Calling a worksheet function with Office Scripts

I tried the below code similar to Office Addins.
    but "Can't perform requested operation" error occurred.
    I want you to be able to call worksheet functions with Office Scripts.

async function main(context: Excel.RequestContext) {
    let sheet = context.workbook.worksheets.getActiveWorksheet();
    let range = sheet.getRange("A1:A4");
    range.values = [[10], [20], [30], [40]];
    let ave = context.workbook.functions.average(range);
    ave.load("value");
    await context.sync();
    console.log(ave.value); //error
    }

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable macro triggers to run server side script

Enable macro triggers to run server side script at a certain time of day. This feature is available in google sheets and is an absolute game changer for me! Please add this ability. (Note: google limits runtime to six minutes. This is not enough but I understand the intention. If a limit must be applied please make it much longer than six minutes.)

Thank you in advance for prioritising this along with general macro enablement in excel online 😊

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Some of the features like form toolbar controls, toobox controls and ActiveX controls not supporting on cloud excel

Some of the features like form toolbar controls, toobox controls and ActiveX controls not supporting on cloud excel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. The ONE Drive app should have the Quick Access bar and if I log into MS & Excel why can't the quick access be synced

1) The Quick Access Tool Bar should follow my login into any MS product and Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. visibilidad, lenguaje de programación

Tienen que trabajar en que se vea la hoja de calculo más amigable, no se ve el "zoom", necesitan trabajar el lenguaje de programación online

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatic timestamp in excel online

=IF(B2<>"", IF(A2="",NOW(),A2), "")

For the above function;
    1. Is this possible to make it work in EXCEL online?
    2. AND if it is possible to use multiple cell for the "logical test" of that function

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base