Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Maintain hidden rows/columns in "sheet view" so other users are not affected by the change

Sheets view offers a private view of the Excel sheet when sorted or filtered, another common change is hiding rows/columns but that currently affects all users when sharing document.

Allow for row/column views to remain private in Sheet View so others are not affects.

338 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel Desktop vs Excel Online - online version should have all/most of the same features

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Paste/Formatting - When pasting into the online version, the format doesn't stay.

~ Sorting - There are very limited sorting options in the online version.

~ Copying data. I have about 300 lines of data that's about 10 columns wide and am unable to copy it so that I can paste it into another document and sort it the way I need (since online version has limited options for sorting, as mentioned…

706 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Sheet View for files on Box

We would like to have the Sheet View function when editing files by Excel Online on Box.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for custom colors or an expanded option set for choosing colors for text, cell backgrounds, and tab labeling.

The color palette for excel online is extremely limited. Expanding the palette or allowing for a color wheel selection option or HTML color entry would be fantastic.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A More diversed pallet of Cell Colors

A More diversed pallet of Cell Colors

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please consider allowing multiple font colors in a single cell of an Excel Online spreadsheet. Thank you!

We use excel online with Huddle to allow multiple users make daily updates to a file. It would be nice if the functionality in regular Excel, that allows multiple font colors in a single cell, were incorporated into Excel online. The way we would like to use it, the user would highlight changes made to a cell in red text, while the existing text remains black. Thanks for your consideration.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 748 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include more keyboard shortcuts e.g. Insert Row, enable ALT key

Please enable In Excel on MS Teams CTRL +1 to access formatting commands.Please enable the ALT key as well to access menues. I cannot use keyboard shortcuts to insert rows and columns. Please consider shortcuts for inserting rows and columns - CTRL SHIFT + for example.Many of us who have used Excel for 25 years use keyboard commands to save our limbs from mouse induced strain and because they are so quick. Please consider these.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make standard colors primary instead of Theme Colors.

Have the option to have Standard Colors and its gradients as the working colors or have Theme Colors as working colors. I prefer the Standard colors as they match my other applications and the Theme colors do not.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Need for multiple text colors in single cell. Not possible in browser

Need for multiple text colors in single cell. Not possible in browser

I am trying to track copy changes using color in an easily sharable document, but Excel doesn't offer this feature in the browser version. It works in a standalone doc. The convenience of sharing a linked doc is helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel online should have the option to access more font colors the same way that Excel desktop has

In excel desktop you can practically choose any possible color using RGB codes. Excel online does not allow that. It only gives you a limited amount of colors to choose from.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve Conditional Formatting in Teams

I just posted an excel file to Teams and the conditional formatting did not come with it. I haven't done any trouble shooting, but it appears that it's because I used formulas for the conditional formatting, rather than the other options.

Is there a reason you can't use formulas for conditional formatting on Teams?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. It doesn't have all functionality as desktop excel. Make Online excel = Desktop excel

Data formatting could be made as easy as in Desktop excel. As we are very much used to mouse it will be better to have those functionality to copy paste & other functions. In simple words make Online version = Desktop version.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Change the autocorrect options in Excel for the web

We should be able to change the autocorrect options in Excel for the web. For instance I want to turn off the auto hyperlinking, but I am unable to do so.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please fix the "broken" wrapping format in Excel for the web. When cells with wrap format are updated in a table, the row height collapses.

Bug: since recent release in Excel for Web, cells with wrap format within a table collapse to default row height when edited. Row height only restored either via Ctrl+F5 page refresh, or toggle wrap format. Workaround is to set a default row height showing multiple lines, then the "collapse" is not such an issue if cell has a lot of text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make views (specifically auto-column width) the same as the native desktop app

View/formatting -- in particular, auto column width -- does not function the same in the web app as it does in the desktop app. For example, create a spreadsheet in Tahoma 10pt font with word wrap enabled, and put the following text into a cell (without quotes): "CAP00000009"

Now auto-size the column in desktop app (at 100% magnification) -- it goes to 86px. Open the file in web app (at 100% magnification) ==> you can't see the whole column.

If you auto-size the column in web app, it goes to 87px. Why is there a difference? Auto-size should give the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Offer 2-3 color options for text on the menu bar for quick/easy application.

Another color option or two as default on the menu bar can make for faster application of different colors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Color adding

I HAVE BEEN USING teal color on my cell in excel, and i can not find this color anymore. would you please add the color to excel

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bugs i datoformatering

Dato i kortversjon fungerer ikke som den skal. Prøv f.eks 10/9/2020.
    Og så ønsker jeg mulighet for egne celleformater i Web-versjonen også.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base