Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Office Scripts to refresh Power Query queries

Allow Office Scripts to refresh Power Query queries. It'd be very helpful to automatically refresh data using Power Automate, but that platform cannot currently refresh data.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for providing the feedback. Your input helps us in making the product better.

Reg. Power Query refresh action – yes, this is in our backlog. We don’t yet have an API that can refresh a Power Query. We’re working with the product team to prioritize the API. I don’t have an ETA yet. But, we’ll be monitoring this closely and update our docs once the feature becomes available. Feel free to email me if you need more details.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    Program Manager
    Suramam@microsoft.com

2. Connect Office Scripts to Buttons

Similar to Excel for desktop, mapping Office Scripts to a button on excel online would be incredibly useful.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to create custom functions

Wound be nice to be able to create custom functions with office script just like in desktop VBA.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow to Enable New Simplified API

Who gets to preview it? When will it come out of Preview (been almost a year)? Will it be available in Excel online? Is a special license required? I'm using the free Excel online.

If i create a script containing the following:

function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
      // Your code goes here
    }
    i just get an error "Cannot find namespace 'ExcelScript'." Can i enable this by adding something to the Libraries tab?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Give Office Scripts access to an XML library

Most of our VBA macro spreadsheets involve generating XML imports for other programs. I would prefer to move to Office Scripts and One Drive, but cannot find an interface to build an XML document like the DOM API.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for adding your request.
    Couple of clarification questions to help understand the ask:

• Is the goal to generate XML document from the script? How will the XML be passed to the other programs? Do you intend to use Power Automate flows for that?
    • Could you please elaborate on which specific DOM APIs are you looking for?
      For instance:
      const doc = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
      const peopleElem = doc.createElement(“people”);

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft . com

6. Add office scripts to shapes in Excel Online

Assign script/Vba/macro to a shape in Excel online

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Excel for web doesn’t support VBA or macros. There is however a new scripting option if you are looking to automate your solution. Office Scripts is a new offering we released in public preview earlier this year. It offers recording and scripting capabilities based on TypeScript/JavaScript languages. Please check out https://aka.ms/office-scripts for details.

Office Scripts doesn’t yet allow shape based triggers. It is something that is of interest to us. Could you please provide some details how how you wish to use this in Excel for web?

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com
    The Microsoft Team

7. Include a script search box in the Scripts pane

Add a search box in the Scripts pane. Also , perhaps, add the ability to create folders in the pane , too. Enter text in the search box would filter those scripts that are listed making it easier to find the one you need. I am, already, having to scroll through a hundred scripts and that is, only, after a few months of using Office Scripts. In a year or two I will have hundreds of scripts which will, actually, be impossible to navigate.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Office Scripts with Visual Studio Code

I want to use VS Code to Develop Office Scripts, like Office Add-ins.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,
    Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.
    We are in the process of developing VS Code Extension for Office Scripts. We are very curios to hear your feedback when we have the initial version ready for usability testing. Would you be interested in hearing from us on this matter? If so, please email me and I can reach out separately.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam@microsoft.com

9. Online Excel needs to have 'Name Manager as an option'

The online Excel version does not have the 'Name Manager' option, which I use frequently for Macros and VBScript. To get the features I need, I end up having to open the application on my desktop.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable Office scripts on the Home/Personal version of Office 365

I need to learn Office/Excel scripts for work, so that I can update some older spreadsheets that are programmed with VBA. However I do not have the time at work. I would like to be able to play with this at home - I have a personal office 365 subscription, but cannot access the automate tab.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app

Expand the “All Scripts” functionality to create an Explorer/Admin experience within the Excel app.

See attached Screenshot 1.
    Currently when the list of scripts is displayed, see screenshot 2, it lists the scripts but there is no associated information along side each script. For example,
    • “file size”, KB, MB etc.
    • “date modified”, local date format
    • “date created”, local date format
    • “last ran date”, local date format (and time)
    • “duration” - how long it took for the script to run on its previous run),
    • “memory last used” - how much memory the script took in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you this feedback.

We are investigating additional reporting capabilities and will consider the detailed list of metrics that are mentioned in this feedback.

Thanks for such a detailed feedback.

Regards,
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft.com

12. Increase script run time limit

Power Automate has a time limit of approximately one minute to allow an Office Script (the Excel Script Connector, to run. I found that when that time limit runs out the error message, returned in Power Automate, does not specify that. It, just, says “Your Flow failed. Try again.” While not only unhelpful, that message is wrong. One should not “try again” as that would not fix the problem. It would merely repeat the run of the flow incurring the same error situation. So, if the error message could be more informative and if the time limit could be longer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. bind office script to events

bind custom functions written with office scripts to events such as "onChanged" as described in the documentation for addins:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/excel/excel-add-ins-events

it's essential to enable automation

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback.

Currently, events APIs are not supported within Office Scripts. One of the main reason is that events can be long running and scripts have a defined start and end points. Unlike an add-in, the script doesn’t stay in the background to listen in and act on the events.
    Could you please let us know how you’d utilize events API support? That will definitely help us understand the requirement better.

Thank you
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    Program Manager

14. jQuery

since it is not possible to edit data requests in the online version, include jQuery so it would be possible to make dynamic jQuery Ajax request for example:

let ret = ``$.ajax({...})``;

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use Office Scripts to change the source data for pivot table

We should be able to use office scripts to adjust the source data for pivot table

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

Online excel should be capable of at least opening password protected files, inter-linked excel workbooks, macro enabled workbooks

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get data from other excel online workbook using office script

It would be nice if office sciript can get data from other excel online workbook without the using power automate as intermediary.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How to get Current user?

How can I get the current user name with office script.
    In visual basic it is Appliclation.Curentuser

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Layout and Subtotal formatting support for PivotTable Hierarchies

I'm trying to create an Office script in Excel Online that formats a PivotTable. I am able to use the PivotLayout interface (and setLayoutType and setSubtotalLocation methods) to format the entire table, but there is no way to format an individual row or column hierarchy.

You can do just that without code in Excel Online by right clicking on a pivot item or row header and using the subtotal and layout menu items that appear. It would be helpful if you could add support for formatting individual row/column hierarchies.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for providing the feedback.
    This is a known API and recording gap and the team has this in the backlog to be implemented.

If you need further details, please feel free to contact directly.

Thank you
    Sudhi Ramamurthy
    suramam @ microsoft.com

20. radio buttons

Radio buttons don't work and are not visible in online version. If file is uploaded to sharepoint there's only empty area where radio buttons are. If fsharepoint file is downloaded then again, the radio buttons are missing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base