Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I like to make the choice between Ecel application and online for a complete session at least as option

Hello, we work with Onedrive and share data. Here and there I need to copy data from multiple Excel files on Onedrive to another one. Excel online is not always my first choice and I like to have an option for opening the files always in Excel application; choice for session is preferred.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would like to be able to right click and fill a cell with a color

I would like to be able to right click and fill a selected cell with a color. I am currently having to select the desired cell and then go to the header block to select the color fill icon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I need to be able to imbed a link to the original OneDrive document so that when the original is updated, the OneNote imbedded vers. updates

I need to be able to imbed a link to the original OneDrive document so that when the original is updated, the OneNote imbedded vers. updates

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Desktop/Web version should support reply a message.

Desktop/Web version should support reply a message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Comments Filter for Mentions

In the Comments pane, it would be helpful to have the ability to filter down to comments in which you are mentioned. Without this, it's difficult in a document with a lot of comments to find the ones you need to respond to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. data connections between excel online files

We created an excel file PARENT which needs to retrieve data from few diffrent CHILD excel files owed by (or shared with) diffrent users within the company. Each user controls and enters data daily in his excel file (CHILD)
    Those data entered in CHILD files need to be instantly retrieved in PARENT file (not manually!!) and based upon them we set some sheets in PARENT file to calculate reports and statistics. This is the point where the need of connections between files arises.
    We couldn’t find any way to connect files in Office 365 and I can not understand why…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Save to desktop

Make a Save As button on top when you open it online. So its easy to download/save rather than open in desktop and then save

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hope you can add a feature to prevent other users deleting the sheets in the workbook.

Hope you can add a feature to prevent other users deleting the sheets in the workbook.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. For Office 365 when sharing a worksheet, I would like the ability to lock down the cells that I have edited.

I would like the ability to lock down cells after editing a shared workbook. This way if another user wants to edit those cells it would be a two step process to unlock the cells and edit the values a second time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text of Comment in E-mail

In the notification e-mail when a user is tagged in a comment, it would be helpful to include the text of the comment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Comments Filter for Mentions

In the Comments pane, it would be helpful to have the ability to filter down to comments in which you are mentioned. Without this, it's difficult in a document with a lot of comments to find the ones you need to respond to.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Have a column to auto-populate "last modified" date for a row

We don't always have all our data upfront and have to fill in the missing pieces over time. There are several people making changes but we don't know when or what. A column could have a "last modified" auto-populated when any change to a row is made, then we'd know which row to gather info from.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open Excel instead of Excel in the browser

When clicking on an Excel link, Excel in the browser is opened. Then when it has started (which is slow for large spreadsheets) you have to click on the "Open in Excel" button and wait again. Can we please have a "Remember my choice" or something like that so that we can choose to always open an Excel file in Excel directly?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How to test compatibility with Excel Online?

I'm getting the "Unsupported Features There are some features in your workbook that we can't show in the browser" message suddenly when trying to open our file in Excel Online.... Nobody has added any of those features to the file, and I can't seem to figure out how to check any of those compatibility issues :( Our whole project is locked up until we can solve this... Please advise ASAP

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please discontinue Excel Online

Look--there is Excel on a user's desktop that has one set of rules, then there's Server versions of Excel sheets that have a different set of rules. Now Excel Online has an entirely different (and cripplingly limited) set of rules.

So if you must continue the madness--at least call it something else, like "Doodlebumpkins" or "Excel Lite".

Calling it "Excel" severely diminishes the brand. People who have only used Excel in the "online" version will hate it forever and would be unlikely to ever purchase the "real" Excel because you don't get a second chance to make a good first…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I split data sorted by a column to divide for analysis by several, ea w/ many rows. To rejoin, I need to paste at row x, not at top. How?

I split data sorted by a column to divide for analysis by several, ea w/ many rows. To rejoin, I need to paste at row x, not at top. How? I get an error pasting not at the top-left corner. Seems... troublesome.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. It needs to be able to send file to waypoint

It needs to be able to send file to waypoint

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Range Objects for Flow (implement Range.CurrentRegion)

Only being able to use data that is in a table, or having to create a table in order to use that data, is incredibly restrictive and frustrating.

If we HAVE to use tables for Flow, then we really need a way to dynamically determine the range in order to create those tables.

Ideally, we could just use a JSON object instead that mimicked how Range objects function in VBA.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel - "tagging" comments to specific users

We would like to have a feature to add a comment to a cell in Excel but to assign it or tag it to a specific other user. That they would receive a notification or draw their attention to that specific cell/comment and what action or input is needed from that specific user. Then they could reply to the comment or resolve it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base