Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the ability to notify by e-mail any change...

that will enable the possibility to use the excel files for collaborative purposes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More agile sharing options

1 - I need to let a collaborator view / edit a only certain range of a spredsheet

2 - the same for a filter view mode. I need to let a collaborator to view / edit only a few rows of a tabe, that I select using filters

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow a "open a copy" option in Sharepoint

As a teacher I would like students to be able to easily open online and edit spreadsheets without disrupting the original copy. They do not need to save their changes. Copying the file is cumbersome and checking out alters the original.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Too easy to lose an "un-posted" comment if you accidentally click away.

In Excel Online, you can right-click Insert Comment - the pane on right appears. You enter your comment only to accidentally click to say another cell and you lose the comment (as Post was not clicked). Maybe some sort of warning would be good?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Admin role for

Enable the Site Admin or shared file Admin to stop teams from editing the file when required to. When multiple user are updating and editing a file after a cut off time the Admin should have the ability to restrict/stop the users from performing any further editing the shared file.
    Also maybe enable a setting on the shared file after a cut off time no further edits are permitted on the file

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make comments filterable. It would be great to be able to only see "open" comments (i.e. filter out "resolved" comment threads).

Make comments filterable.

It would be great to be able to only see "open" comments (i.e. filter out "resolved" comment threads).

It would also be amazing to be able to filter comments by month that they were added (can you tell that I use the comments to trigger people to help with end of month commentary? Haha!).

Someone else has mentioned being able to filter based on person who is mentioned int eh comment and that would be excellent too.

Great feature that has helped me so far, I just think these changes could take it to the next level.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. On the teams app, when editing a spreadsheet, there is not a scroll bar for sheets. There should be.

On the teams app, when editing a spreadsheet, there is not a scroll bar for sheets. There should be.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The docuemnt locked by someone

If two persons are using the document at the same time or the document is locked by someone, then there should be an option to notify the person by message or email

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Follow Me

When multiple users are using a spreadsheet can there be an option to follow a user and the screen move to where they are so it's easy to follow along

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Send an email update to the user group if any updates were made

For a user to be notified if any updates or messages were posted for a group he / she are part off.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add notification if a user opens an excel file on their desktop versus online,"This will lock the document from changes by other users."

A helpful reminder/notification for users who aren't accustomed to using Excel online versus the desktop versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Signal to active co-authors when there is in-app chat activity

When users are co-authoring and one of them launches a chat, other co-authors do not notice. There should be an obvious, but not obtrusive, signal that a chat is active.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Online File Inserts into Cells for Excel online

Allowing for individuals to add pdf attachments for excel online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. allow excel online to connect to data gateway

Allowing excel to refresh cube data via the data gateway would be a huge benefit to those of use being affected by the corona virus work from home initiatives. our local network can't handle all these vpn connections and the only reason we need these connections is to refresh cube excel reports

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow me to see who changed Excel cell

In google sheets I can see who changed each cell. Why can I not do that in the microsoft equivalent product: Office365 Sheets? Contact me

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Embed spreadsheet in public domain website

I have created a giant financial database that I would like to share on a subscriber-only secured website. The problem is no matter how I share it, the end user is required to sign in to view it. Microsoft used to have the ability to publish on a public website. Is there any way I can get an embed code for my spreadsheet that allows me to share it on a website? Thanks for your time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. After opening shared file I'd like to see highlighted changes made while I was gone

After opening shared file I'd like to see highlighted changes made while I was gone

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base