Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be notified and others when a change happens to a cell in a LIVE excel sheet

Notification system to a CELL in a Live excel sheet

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Request edit access

Allow users to request edit access to documents that have been shared in read-only mode.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Open Excel instead of Excel in the browser

When clicking on an Excel link, Excel in the browser is opened. Then when it has started (which is slow for large spreadsheets) you have to click on the "Open in Excel" button and wait again. Can we please have a "Remember my choice" or something like that so that we can choose to always open an Excel file in Excel directly?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Need the ability to disable co authoring on specific files in Sharepoint

We are sharing a quote builder and have 40 sales people who use this excel doc with co authoring we cannot do this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow Smart Art on Excel Online

Allow viewing and editing of SmartArt on Excel Online. Some users use SmartArt heavily and they would like to be able to collaborate on them online

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add people tagging feature!!!! For tagging people using @.

Not having this makes Google docs so much better for collaboration. Tag people and create an alert for people tagged to create the viral loop and bring them back into the doc for live collaboration. Little things make a big difference.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Users to Edit Ranges should function in Excel Online

This functionality would be incredible for several things my office would like to implement if it worked online. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly but it appears other users have been having the same issues. When I open an excel online file in the desktop app and give specific users permission to edit locked ranges it works when editing on my computer in the desktop app but not when editing on the web app.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. assign tasks via the comment box and inform person asigned to solve the task via email

Same functionality is available in google sheets/slides. By entering ***@email.com and adding a task the person will get a notification via email that there is task for him/her to resolve. Once resolved he/she can directly mark the comment as resolved and the initiator gets a notification that this is done

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. on Excel online documents, why the update by multiple users is not managed, Google can do that

when I try an access to an online Excel document, if this one is opened by a single user....no more RW access is possible. Google Sheets is allowing multiple users to work in the same document

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. you should have an option to inform those who have a file shared with them that an update was made to the shared file

when you make an edit to a file that is already shared with someone, you should have the option to click a notify button that would send an email to the parties who have access to that file and be made aware of changes to that file. same concept as the calendar system in outlook. when you update the calendar in outlook it allows you to send a notification that it something had been changed. this would be very handy for those who need to know when changes are made to a file, and not have to login and look…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. comment replies and status

Please allow comments to have comments as replies (nested conversation) and allow them to have a status that can be changed (RESOLVED, RE-OPEN, etc.) much as comments are handled in WORD in offline mode.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add the ability to see who has viewed the shared document.

It would be nice to see who is viewing the document so that I know whether sharing the document is helpful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Mature chat and log that is part of the the document's metadata

The ability to chat with other users natively within a spreadsheet is very important. I've seen references to chatting with Skype which is absurd. E.g. I share a spreadsheet with 10 people. Another person logs on and want to discuss something related to it. He opens up a Skype chat with me - conversation is hidden from the other 8 people unless we forward the "meeting minutes" - what a pain now 8 people have to either read this or file it - or just pretend they never received it. Or we open a 10 person chat - 8 people…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Collaboration needed

When working with multiple people, we should have the option to send all of them or specific person, the notification via sheet itself to let them know it has been updated along with the ability to send annotation about it.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Freezing should not be restricted to single row or columns. user can select as many as they can depending on thier choice of requirement

Freezing should not be restricted to single row or columns. user can select as many as they can depending on thier choice of requirement

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add checkboxes.

Add checkboxes as they help collaboration and check off done items when working on a group project.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. cell Comment allow @username to share content or assign task to a user

Please allow use of @username in comments in online Excel, such that someone can be directed to a given cell in case they need to be made aware of some information or a task can be assigned to that user. E.g. if someone needs to add some content, or confirm content, they would get an email to look in a particular cell or row to edit or confirm.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. office encryption features should be available in all platform

include office file encryption in office 365 as well as ios and android

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. please let me know who has the excel sheet checked out instead of just telling me it is checked out.

please let me know who has the excel sheet checked out instead of just telling me it is checked out.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ability to share only part of the excel file with others

There should be option to share only few columns/rows/cell with other people while collaborating. It will protect my data (nobody can edit it) also other can see it & work/comment on it in the next shared column/row/cell.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base