Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Do not use colons in the sharing link as it does not work well with chat programs.

Use a shortened link or don't use colons or other protected characters in the URL when sharing a link as it doesn't work well with chat programs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve large workbook compatibility and reliability with Excel Online for Coauthors

I would like to request that more development of large multi co authored files be done to improve reliability, functionality and editing. Where files are heavily used and regularly hit the 500 version limit, issues come through with blocky jittery scrolling, loss of data entered in fields, slow loading, non saving etc.... Please fix these issues to make excel online a real beneficial tool.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dropbox collaborate

For excel files that are opened through Dropbox , please add collaboration support for them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Can you create a program where multiple users can work in it; but be able to lock out cells they should not change?

Create a Visual block of the information needed by users; allow them to input information and edit their information only. Once done, lock the whole document and allow each block of information to download into the finished report or spreadsheet. Example:
    User: Name, Address, Phone, Email, amt of loan; etc.
    Report is updated with their inputted information, and the user has no control to edit the actual report or spreadsheet being downloaded into.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add option to share with different organizations

We need to share live info with different organizations outside the our company instead of sending email attachments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When I document is locked I'd like to be able to make changes but not save the document, like you can when you open a document read only

When I document is locked I'd like to be able to make changes but not save the document, like you can when you open a document read only

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. share onedrive file link in Microsoft Teams

MS Teams allows us to upload a file or share from sharepoint. Instead of upload file from users system. Can a link to user's file on OneDrive be added to channel and set to tab if wanted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When embedded, prevent users accessing the entire workbook by "view full size" or "information..." icons

The options on the pan below the embedded worksheet provide indirect access to users to download the entire file. This capabilities should be subject to owners desire.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. More agile sharing options

1 - I need to let a collaborator view / edit a only certain range of a spredsheet

2 - the same for a filter view mode. I need to let a collaborator to view / edit only a few rows of a tabe, that I select using filters

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow a "open a copy" option in Sharepoint

As a teacher I would like students to be able to easily open online and edit spreadsheets without disrupting the original copy. They do not need to save their changes. Copying the file is cumbersome and checking out alters the original.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Too easy to lose an "un-posted" comment if you accidentally click away.

In Excel Online, you can right-click Insert Comment - the pane on right appears. You enter your comment only to accidentally click to say another cell and you lose the comment (as Post was not clicked). Maybe some sort of warning would be good?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow sharing of an excel file that is stored in MS Teams Group in a MS Team Meeting.

During a meeting, and click on Share, have an option to select a file that is in a MS Teams Group.

Example of current workaround: I added an excel file to our team's MS Team Group. We had a MS Teams Meeting and I could not share that file. I had to share my desktop, then bring up the MS Teams app, navigate to the file I have in the MS Teams Group, and open it and share it via sharing desktop. At that point, I was unable to see the meeting (chat, participants, options, etc). If I click on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Is in the excel any kind of notification that sheet has been changed by any other user ?

Email notification that sheet has been changed by any other user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reviews by user and chat

1) Having the chance to see the other's reviews with time and date, because if someone makes a mistake or deletes something accidentally, through the "reviews by user" we can correct.
    2) the chat to text to others online on the doc in the same moment for a better collaboration

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. User X "has the workbook locked. Ask them to close the file or check it in." Is it possible that the file owner cannot kick that user out ?

The sharepoint owner or file owner needs to be enabled to kick out users who checked out a file and forgot to check it in. Is it possible to set up an inactive time e.g. after 10minutes of user inactivity, the file is automatically checked in again?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Set the permissions to Download, Edit specific cells, Protect Formulas in online version separately

The idea is that I can set the permissions before sharing, so:
    - We can control weather or not the file can be downloaded, regardless of it is editable or not online

- Protect specific cells (contains formulas, specific ranges ... etc) from being edited, but the other cells can be edited

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Teams Excel App needs to have a connection to the base chat as a side panel.

Teams Excel App needs to have a connection to the base chat as a side panel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base