Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

2,914 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

713 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Joseph,

We are now shipping a feature called Sheet View on Excel for the web that can help you sort and filter while collaborating with others. You can accomplish your tasks in a Sheet View without others impacting your workflow. Learn more here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Sheet-View-is-generally-available/ba-p/1032576

We’ve started the rollout to users on Excel for the web and will be available to all Excel for the web users within the coming weeks.

Thanks!

2. add option to download snapshot of the open sheet in excel online

Add option to download snapshot of the open sheet in excel online.
    This is very helpful options for people like me who uses big data / powerpivot in backend. The snapshot will only contain the data and formatting of the sheet (not any backend files & data).

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Desktop Sharing

It would be great if Shared Documents could be used on the Desktop app with all recipients able to edit while in the document at the same time instead of all having to use the Online Excel version.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enhance the functions of [EDIT ONLINE]

when Edit excel in Sharepoint , two or more people can not use [EDIT IN EXCEL]at the same time ,but

the function [EDIT ONLINE] cannot meet the needs of customers' very well.
    For example, changing the color of a word in a cell;
    online co-editing, all of the persons see the same data, can not filter out the data to deal with at the same time and so on.
    Please enhance the functions of [EDIT ONLINE] .

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make it so you can kick someone out of a locked document when they forget to log out editing online documents!

Or make it so that there items save after a period of inactivity so you can update the shared document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

when someone is editing the doc and I can't edit at the same time, good to understand who has it opened so that I cqan notify thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide a favourite button when viewing / editing documents from one Drive / Sharepoint, so you can quickly add to your delve board.

When you accessing documents shared via One Drive / SharePoint, make it much faster to pin to your delve board by having a favourite button on all online versions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Can you create a program where multiple users can work in it; but be able to lock out cells they should not change?

Create a Visual block of the information needed by users; allow them to input information and edit their information only. Once done, lock the whole document and allow each block of information to download into the finished report or spreadsheet. Example:
    User: Name, Address, Phone, Email, amt of loan; etc.
    Report is updated with their inputted information, and the user has no control to edit the actual report or spreadsheet being downloaded into.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. subset Excel Template for online updates & sharing of information

Using the Sharepoint excel and excel's powerful spreadsheet concept as the base for collaboration, have an idea that can bring a focused and goal oriented approach.
    Subset of excel is that excel does not show many rows and columns and menus, it will focus and change the layout based on the template and provide only workflow buttons, tabbed menus, and sections, for workflow
    1. Create an Excel template that contains forms for workflow
    2. the forms can be updated by different members
    3. approvers and reviewers along with admin of the forms can perform action
    4. finally the workflow can…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ability to share only part of the excel file with others

There should be option to share only few columns/rows/cell with other people while collaborating. It will protect my data (nobody can edit it) also other can see it & work/comment on it in the next shared column/row/cell.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Copy Paste is horrendous / Undermines Collaboration

The copy and paste of data between excel workbooks online as well as other sources to the web browser is just a mess.

Our company has tested with different computers and different environments only to find that data doesnt get copied as it should work.

If you copy and paste fast data from within the same sheet in excel online the cursor lags and jumps backwards. We have tested this on Fibre , ADSL, 3G, 4G, LTE, HSDPA using multiple providers.

The scary thing is that Google sheets copy and paste perfectly.

This undermines collaboration greatly in excel online and…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add option to dowload a shared file

Give option to users to download a shared filed

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. comment replies and status

Please allow comments to have comments as replies (nested conversation) and allow them to have a status that can be changed (RESOLVED, RE-OPEN, etc.) much as comments are handled in WORD in offline mode.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make closing chat in online excel an option

We need a button or something of the sort to close the chat box in excel online.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel and word online check out documents

If i view a document on a SharePoint site in Excel online and see a thing that I have to change things get a little cumbersome. The button "Edit" results in a message says that I have to check out tthe document, but no other option to close that box.
    I then have to go back to the library, check out the document, go to the document and open it once more.
    The dialogue box should have a question like; "Do you want to check out this document in order to edit it?" Answer options: Yes or No.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. you should have an option to inform those who have a file shared with them that an update was made to the shared file

when you make an edit to a file that is already shared with someone, you should have the option to click a notify button that would send an email to the parties who have access to that file and be made aware of changes to that file. same concept as the calendar system in outlook. when you update the calendar in outlook it allows you to send a notification that it something had been changed. this would be very handy for those who need to know when changes are made to a file, and not have to login and look…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sharing restriction for Shared User

1. Restrict shared user from sharing to someone else. Only the owner can share with selected users. Users cannot share without owners consent.

2. Restrict Save as or download for Shared Users.

3. Notification for every modification done by Shared user for security purpose.

Please give a thought and make sharing Full Proof and Secured.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Messaging feature to allow me ask others to close online documents

If a document is locked because another user has it open, it would be nice to know who that user is so I can ask them to close it. A feature to allow me to do that online might be good as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add the ability to see who has viewed the shared document.

It would be nice to see who is viewing the document so that I know whether sharing the document is helpful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base