Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Protect Range/Sheet, Collaboration Range/Sheet, Tracking history of workbook

There are several functions that don't work the same in the online version vs desktop. Besides that, in comparison, Microsoft Excel Online doesn't have advanced features in the Google Sheets. Below are a few that are particularly frustrating to me so far:

~ Protecting features only works in desktop version (not work online)

~ Microsoft Excel Only cannot protect sheets, but Google Sheets can protect sheets or ranges. Therefore, many users can collaborate together with high security in range/ranges, same sheet/sheets in a common workbook.

~ and so many advanced other feature in Google Sheets doesn't appear in Microsoft Excel

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Be notified and others when a change happens to a cell in a LIVE excel sheet

Notification system to a CELL in a Live excel sheet

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Request edit access

Allow users to request edit access to documents that have been shared in read-only mode.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When in a meeting we often need to compare two files. Teams keeps shutting down a file while we look at another keep having to re-navigate

When in a meeting we often need to compare two different files. Teams keeps shutting down a file while we look at another. We keep having to fully re-navigate in our attempts to discuss large files that take a while to download. The ability to see 2 files at the same time while screen sharing on teams would be great.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. shared worksheet should have detailed history just like gmail.

shared worksheet should have detailed history just like gmail.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Put selecting print area back on the online version please.

Put selecting print area back on the online version please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Auto unlock inactive user who have locked an excel in edit mode (web app vs desktop app issue)

Auto Unlock excel if the user is inactive for more than 5 mins. If users dont close the excel in web app, then other users cannot open the same excel in edit mode in desktop app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow me to see who changed Excel cell

In google sheets I can see who changed each cell. Why can I not do that in the microsoft equivalent product: Office365 Sheets? Contact me

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Embed spreadsheet in public domain website

I have created a giant financial database that I would like to share on a subscriber-only secured website. The problem is no matter how I share it, the end user is required to sign in to view it. Microsoft used to have the ability to publish on a public website. Is there any way I can get an embed code for my spreadsheet that allows me to share it on a website? Thanks for your time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. After opening shared file I'd like to see highlighted changes made while I was gone

After opening shared file I'd like to see highlighted changes made while I was gone

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Users to Edit Ranges should function in Excel Online

This functionality would be incredible for several things my office would like to implement if it worked online. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly but it appears other users have been having the same issues. When I open an excel online file in the desktop app and give specific users permission to edit locked ranges it works when editing on my computer in the desktop app but not when editing on the web app.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make comments filterable. It would be great to be able to only see "open" comments (i.e. filter out "resolved" comment threads).

Make comments filterable.

It would be great to be able to only see "open" comments (i.e. filter out "resolved" comment threads).

It would also be amazing to be able to filter comments by month that they were added (can you tell that I use the comments to trigger people to help with end of month commentary? Haha!).

Someone else has mentioned being able to filter based on person who is mentioned int eh comment and that would be excellent too.

Great feature that has helped me so far, I just think these changes could take it to the next level.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel online should have Filter View functionality like Google Drive

Without Filter View, collaborators are constantly seeing their view change as other collaborators filter on their work. This makes what could be a much needed file unusable for more than 2-3 users. In our team of 20+, users have to save local copies to even work with the file. At that point, there isn't much value and its more of a headache than anything. Private filter views where collaborator can work on the document without other users impeding their progress is absolutely necessary

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow sharing of an excel file that is stored in MS Teams Group in a MS Team Meeting.

During a meeting, and click on Share, have an option to select a file that is in a MS Teams Group.

Example of current workaround: I added an excel file to our team's MS Team Group. We had a MS Teams Meeting and I could not share that file. I had to share my desktop, then bring up the MS Teams app, navigate to the file I have in the MS Teams Group, and open it and share it via sharing desktop. At that point, I was unable to see the meeting (chat, participants, options, etc). If I click on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add notification if a user opens an excel file on their desktop versus online,"This will lock the document from changes by other users."

A helpful reminder/notification for users who aren't accustomed to using Excel online versus the desktop versions.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Online File Inserts into Cells for Excel online

Allowing for individuals to add pdf attachments for excel online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Is in the excel any kind of notification that sheet has been changed by any other user ?

Email notification that sheet has been changed by any other user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base