Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Correct bug that sets formatting to US when editing online and prevents correct setting of data format - Change to UK but sets to Armenian

The date formatting when editing in Excel online changes the format of a date field to US even though it was set to UK when created offline and uploaded. When you try to change the formatting back to UK, it seems to accept your instruction but the formatting displayed is not the one you chose. If you check the format again, it has been changed to Armenian.
    You have been aware of this bug since July last year and it still hasn't been addressed. This is a huge inconvenience to people in the UK as some dates may have been…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel Typing Not Working

For some reason, both on my phone and the computer, excel's typing input box is not working. I am unable to type in any data. That seems to be the only thing not working for right now, but a pretty important one.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Clone the regular Excel Format

Clone the regular Excel Format

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Error when inserting rows or columns

Inserting rows and columns works normally (normally...), but whenever inserting a row/column would affect more than one table, Excel returns "This operation is not allowed. The operation is attempting to shift cells in a table on your worksheet."

To this I initially responded "Duh? I do that all the time, why doesn't it work now?" Normally it would just insert a new row/column, and shift the rest of the table over, but in this case it's complaining because it has to shift the contents of more than one table at a time.

I don't really mind the mild inconvenience of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Don't bug me with a dialog for a shared document every time my laptop goes offline. Ok to display a message in-pane

I get a popup for 'session expired' when my laptop goes to sleep that I have to click on in order to continue; would be better for it to signal the issue in-pane or not even bother me till I try to do something with the document. If you have 5 documents open in different tabs, is this going to freeze every one of them till I click Ok? This is not what Google docs does...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When scrolling down one line in Web Browser, Excel randomly scrolls 800-1000 rows down

Example: When I'm on row 5, and need to scroll to row 6 or 7, the sheet will suddenly be on row 800 to 1000. I've tried using the arrows on the keyboard, clicking and dragging the side scroll (on the browser), and the scroll on my mouse. The most recent change I've made is added the top row Freeze Pane.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When the file is more than 5Mb excel online will not allow access without login to Onedrive

Can you allow the shared workbooks that are more than 5Mb to be downloadable without the need to login to one drive- please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The Error Messages could be more elaborate rather one liner. Atleast an error code which could help us troubleshoot more.

The Error messages seems to be very plain English. It could have some error codes incorporated so it could be helpful in troubleshooting the issues / problems that arise in Excel Online. Instead of just "Give Feedback" link, there can be a link for more description of the errors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Read only / Check Out

When I try to edit spreadsheets, sometimes a different user has it checkout so it is in readonly mode. When I inform them they have it checked out, they have no idea where it is open.

Could you add a feature that can allows me to message them to close out of their file, and in the message the user receives, it has a button to checkin or kill a checkout session?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix Grammatical Errors in "Couldn't Open the Workbook"

Please fix the grammatical errors in the following message.

"We're sorry, we couldn't open your workbook... Do you want to try and open this file in Excel?"

The first sentence is a "comma splice." It should be "We're sorry. We couldn't open your workbook."

The last sentence has "try and," which is a common mistake. The sentence should read "Do you want to try to open this file in Excel?" In other words, instead of using "try and," use "try to."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Unlocking only specific cells from write protected worksheet using excel javascript API is stopped working

I am using office 365 and Excel online (Build 16.0.9403.1875).

I am creating Microsoft Excel online Add-ins, using Excel Javascript API.

I have a requirement like write protection of entire sheet, except few cells (Range).

The functionality is achieved and it was working fine and recently. it started breaking like, it is completely protecting the sheet.

I did not get any error too.

So, I referred Format protection API, but while debugging, the ‘locked’ property is of no effect in action.

Thanks,
    Raghuvaran

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Insert Link - remove initial http from URL

It takes 3 hotkeys to insert link:
    Add link (Ctrl+K), Select all (Ctrl+A), Paste (Ctrl+V).

I want 2 hotkeys:
    Add link (Ctrl+K), Paste (Ctrl+V).

Auto-filled http is useless, and any copy-pasted URL is now appended to it, producing invalid URL.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. My suggestion is to put Office 365 in the trash where it belongs and label it "unproduction software"

My suggestion is to put Office 365 in the trash where it belongs and label it "unproduction software"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Present useful error messages

Error: Exception of type 'Microsoft.DataProxy.Exceptions.HybridException' was thrown.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

This does not help me troubleshoot the problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST MAKE EXCEL ONLINE WORK

Excel keeps failing on a near weekly basis. Google Doc Spreadsheets do not. Please make it like their platform.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base