Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Row and Column based control over sharing a file for multiple people.

Different Editing Row and Column based sharing control for multiple people. I may be able to share a particular Row/Column with a person(s) and other R/C with some other person(s)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When Excel is shared by different users. Please indicate the name of the present user who's using it at the side bar.

When Excel is shared by different users. Please indicate the name of the present user who's using it at the side bar. I cannot modify it in excel and I don't know whose user is using it in that moment, first you're clueless asking one by one in your group on who's using it, second it is time consuming.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Create a permission level which is allowed access/editing but only on the online version.

There are times where no advanced editing is required from the multiple users of a document. Given we have to deal with humans they still wish to open in excel locking the document out from others. The ability to stop people from "editing in excel" via permissions would allow the owner greater control over who can do what with shared files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Copy & Paste not working on Mac Safari

Copy and Paste function does not work in Safari browser in Apple Mac for Excel Online. It should be possible in the same way as on Google Apps for now. You can refer to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msoother/copy-and-paste-tofrom-excel-web-app-doesnt-work-on/2fde83e9-8c59-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?page=2 thread where more users want this.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. On one drive It would be beneficial to allow file changes to be made and saved when imbeded on a web site at present changes are not saved.

On one drive It would be beneficial to allow file changes to be made and saved when imbeded on a web site at present changes are not saved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. enable check in check out excel & lock unlock on one drive excel online instead of sharepoint.

some column of excel doc we shared to everyone is locked, & can be unlock by admin for editing only.
    problem is missing of the check in/out & lock function will duplicate the file if we edit in local onedrive folder.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel Online should give you an update (via Outlook or Yammer, maybe?) once a document locked for editing by another person is free

Excel Online should give you an update (via Outlook or Yammer, maybe?) once a document locked for editing by another person is free

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add "insert.." , "delete" , and "clear contents" to right click options in onlne version.

If I want to add rows to only a few columns in the middle of a sheet I have to switch to full version of Excel. I do this very frequently, so I miss this feature. As for clear contents, I can't highlight multiple cells and delete all at once. In full Excel I can do that with right-click and :delete contents." I would rather just be able to highlight all cells and hit "delete" have all deleted.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SAVED notification.

When editing a document, whether Word or Excel, to show a message in the middle of the screen, or the top, in a BRIGHT COLOR, that ensures that our document was saved. :)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. formatting option are poor... Atleast compare the existing outlook and try n replicate the same

Editing tables and colour coding is still pathetic and even if you try copy from excel it comes as plain text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please add data validation options for worksheets that are populated by surveys.

If making updates to a worksheet that's populated by a survey, the cells aren't currently bound by the same constraints.

Example: Say you have a question with yes/no options in a survey. That column in the worksheet doesn't automatically populate with "yes/no" options for data validation. This limits worksheet usefulness, editing and update ability, and can potentially wreck results, break charts and formulas, etc.

Adding data validation both to Excel Online worksheet edit capacity and as an automatic part of Survey + Worksheet population would be very helpful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Do not lock the workbook when people want to edit it online

When people would be editing it offline, then the people online could possibly edit it online

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow for autocompletion of typed text from a linked table (not just cells above the current cell).

Allow for autocompletion of typed text from a linked table (not just cells above the current cell).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Recent activity data in online or offline office data.

Hi , I use office online a lot , and i would like to know at what time i have edited which data into the document, it could be a excel or word of a PowerPoint.

which will help a lot to normal users and also of the files are shared online for edition , owner will get to know which member has edited the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Highlight cells affected by formula when editing

Like the desktop version, when a formula is being edited (F2), highlight with colors the other cells used in the formula.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Lock edit row/column when in edit mode online.

When I edited or leave our file on all day sometime we have some accidents pressing some key then it replace. it will be nice to lock column or row when we in edit mode (lock to edit not effect to change format or arrange data. we still can sort or arrange all rows or columns)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Retain clipboard data upon paste, like every other program in existence.

Normal programs can copy/paste data without the clipboard being cleared, but strangely, Excel is different, inconsistent. Clipboard data should not be cleared upon use (e.g. paste).

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base